I feel better now that I have filled 5 Jerry cans with fuel on hand.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Recently I took delivery of some quality jerry cans.
The ones that are hermetically sealed and NOT vented so they minimize the evaporation of the light fractions of the fuel.
My move earlier this year took me further than a one tanks worth drive from my BOL.
I have two 4x4 SUVs i rotate week by week.
One of them is always topped off before I switch to the other.
Even so a tankful is not enough to get to my BOL.

So to be able to travel there during a general blackout or fuel crises I finally got the high quality Jerry cans.
https://www.jerrycan.com/wavian-brand/
Filled them with 93 Octane Ethanol free gasoline (one of my vehicles wants 91 the other 87).
Then added stabilizer
5 x 5 gallons extra fuel, in addition to a full tank= enough range to make it there even with my gas guzzlers

Last edited:
They look like the real thing.
Jerrycan no longer sale Wavian brand.
GELG Jerry Cans
We no longer sell the Wavian Brand. We found a jerry can made to the exact same specs at a much lower price. Learn More

Last edited:
https://wavianusa.com/
Red 20L Fuel Can

Red 10L Fuel Can

Red 5L Fuel Can

Red 20L Fuel Can
Red 10L Fuel Can
Red 5L Fuel Can

Wavian Fuel Can — original NATO Jerry Can | Red
$89.99

The Wavians is what I got.
I did want to post the purchase link I used to minimize doxing.
Hint if you buy more than one at a time they are less $$

They look like the real thing.
Jerrycan no longer sale Wavian brand.
GELG Jerry Cans
We no longer sell the Wavian Brand. We found a jerry can made to the exact same specs at a much lower price. Learn More

Good, I did not know how long ago you made your purchase.
I am thinking of 3-5 fuel cans & 2 water cans.

Recently I took delivery of some quality jerry cans...NOT vented ...

I've got a gallon metal container of white gas left over from my Boy Scout days. The can isn't vented either. Winter time (cold) the can has contracted to the point it looks crushed. Summer (heat) can expands back to its original shape. I'm pleasantly surprised the can hasn't started to leak from metal fatigue

I just fill the truck with 5-gallon plastic cans. Short bed still holds at least 20 cans.
Fair enough.
However the fuel in those vented red plastic cans will not stay good for years.
With the non ethanol fuel and stabilizer added in a non vented can I know from experience it can stay good for years

I just fill the truck with 5-gallon plastic cans. Short bed still holds at least 20 cans.

That’s kind of how I do it. I use it up long before it even has a chance to even think about going stale. Basically I do that about 3 times a year.

https://www.wpowerproducts.com/news...only be,Treated with biocides and stabilizers
Home » How Long Does Diesel Fuel Last & Tips to Store it for Longer
How Long Does Diesel Fuel Last & Tips To Store It For Longer
During an emergency fuel is one of the first resources to go, having a sufficient reserve of fuel can be beneficial for staying prepared for the unexpected, such as extended power outages. Although beneficial, the shelf life of diesel does not last as long as one might think. Effected by tighter regulation and environmental and economic concerns, modern refining processes leaves today’s distillate are more unstable and susceptible to contamination.
How Long Does Diesel Fuel Last?
Studies have determined within 28 days of storage diesel fuel #2 begins to become contaminated and start to degrade. Diesel fuel can only be stored from 6 to 12 months on average — sometimes longer under the best conditions. Generally, to prolong the life of the quality of stored diesel fuel, it should be:
  • Kept cool at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit;
  • Treated with biocides and stabilizers
  • Maintained properly in accordance with NFPA 110
NFPA 110 refers to diesel “Storage Life,” 1.5 to 2 years. The Standard recommends that, “Tanks should be sized so that the fuel is consumed within the storage life, or provision should be made to replace stale fuel with fresh fuel,” NFPA 110, A-5-9
When the above conditions are not met or are not met adequately, three main threats to the quality of the diesel may arise:
  1. Hydrolysis;
  2. Microbial growth; and
  3. Oxidation.

https://www.wpowerproducts.com/news...only be,Treated with biocides and stabilizers
During an emergency fuel is one of the first resources to go, having a sufficient reserve of fuel can be beneficial for staying prepared for the unexpected, such as extended power outages. Although beneficial, the shelf life of diesel does not last as long as one might think. Effected by tighter regulation and environmental and economic concerns, modern refining processes leaves today’s distillate are more unstable and susceptible to contamination.
Studies have determined within 28 days of storage diesel fuel #2 begins to become contaminated and start to degrade. Diesel fuel can only be stored from 6 to 12 months on average — sometimes longer under the best conditions. Generally, to prolong the life of the quality of stored diesel fuel, it should be:
NFPA 110 refers to diesel “Storage Life,” 1.5 to 2 years. The Standard recommends that, “Tanks should be sized so that the fuel is consumed within the storage life, or provision should be made to replace stale fuel with fresh fuel,” NFPA 110, A-5-9
When the above conditions are not met or are not met adequately, three main threats to the quality of the diesel may arise:
  1. Hydrolysis;
  2. Microbial growth; and
  3. Oxidation.

What I filled is gasoline.
Gasoline actually tends to degrade even faster with its Ethanol fraction.
Why/how do I feel confident of making my gasoline last for years then?

Three things needed:
- Non vented container. As in hermetically sealed from environment. This way the evaporating fractions fill up the airspace above the fuel and go into equilibrium with the fuels surface limiting how much light fractions are lost.
This also minimize oxidation as the only oxygen available in the air initially inside the can is all that is available to oxidize the fuel.
- Non Ethanol fuel.
- Adding stabilizer. This fluid covers the surface area of the fuel and make it less prone to oxidation and evaporation.

What I filled is gasoline.
Gasoline actually tends to degrade even faster with its Ethanol fraction.
Why/how do I feel confident of making my gasoline last for years then?

Three things needed:
- Non vented container. As in hermetically sealed from environment. This way the evaporating fractions fill up the airspace above the fuel and go into equilibrium with the fuels surface limiting how much light fractions are lost.
This also minimize oxidation as the only oxygen available in the air initially inside the can is all that is available to oxidize the fuel.
- Non Ethanol fuel.
- Adding stabilizer. This fluid covers the surface area of the fuel and make it less prone to oxidation and evaporation.
Here you go.

https://petroleumservicecompany.com...JtG0kqF7l5_EuqRr3wj8lNr-FY22JR5xoC0LoQAvD_BwE
$8/gal but already sealed.

Ben

interesting how the gas Hauls happened in the last couple of days, I just filled my pallet tank ,about 40 gallons and 4 5gal. plastic fuel cans, in our cooler climate the plastic jugs are ok for a while, I will use most of it before spring, the pallet tank is basicly sealed and good for a while.
For longer term storage I pump fuel, either one into old automotive propane tanks. Linctex did a test in texas and as I recall it was fine after 3 years in Texas.
Here it is probably good for a lot longer.

1. Hydrolysis;
  2. Microbial growth; and
  3. Oxidation.

Not being critical of you personally, but that link and information about diesel is just wrong........

In survivalism circles, it is widely accepted that diesel has much longer shelf life than gasoline.

Most people accept that diesel shelf life is several years whereas (non-ethanol) gasoline shelf life is one to three years.

I regularly store diesel for up to five years in bulk tanks at my farm and I have started up diesel powered machinery that has sat for more than ten years without changing out the diesel in the tank - and it ran fine.

Most survivalists prefer diesel vehicles specifically because diesel shelf life is so much longer than gas.

While I agree that diesel should last longer, one has to be pretty choosy how old of diesel you put in modern electronic trucks, A friend of mine got a deal on a fairly large quantity of aged diesel, it ran well in his Gen 2 cummins, but it ran like crap in another friends Gen 3, and gen 3s are getting old. just a heads up. Good old dino diesel lasted pretty much forever.

While I agree that diesel should last longer, one has to be pretty choosy how old of diesel you put in modern electronic trucks, A friend of mine got a deal on a fairly large quantity of aged diesel, it ran well in his Gen 2 cummins, but it ran like crap in another friends Gen 3, and gen 3s are getting old. just a heads up. Good old dino diesel lasted pretty much forever.

Diesel is vulnerable to algae growth if it gets contaminated with water.

The algae can't grow in pure diesel, but it can/does grow in the water droplets within moisture contaminated diesel. In most cases the water gets into the diesel as condensation inside tanks that are subjected to a temperature cycle throughout each day. If you are storing diesel for a long time, store the tanks somewhere the temperature cycle is less pronounced - I have my tanks inside a shed.

But luckily, you can treat new diesel to prevent algae and even kill algae if it gets growing, using a biocide that kills the algae and disperses any water contamination.

If you do ever need to kill algae and make diesel good again, filter the fuel after using the biocide. The filtering removes the dead algae.

The newest diesel engines may also benefit from treating poor quality diesel with a cetane booster (Cetane is the diesel equivalent of Octane rating).

Last edited:
Hardcalibres
I own one diesel with 30hours on it in 14 months. That all I know about diesel, other than it has more power than a gas engine & cost more per gallon. So how long it will last is not a big deal now, I can rotate all my fuel. I will not have more than 25 gallons stored, for small shortages. Keeping the tractor or truck running for years, after the fall is not my problem, i can raise food without a tractor.

Hardcalibres
I own one diesel with 30hours on it in 14 months. That all I know about diesel, other than it has more power than a gas engine & cost more per gallon. So how long it will last is not a big deal now, I can rotate all my fuel. I will not have more than 25 gallons stored, for small shortages. Keeping the tractor or truck running for years, after the fall is not my problem, i can raise food without a tractor.

I have more diesel powered vehicles and machinery than gasoline powered gear.

That is intentional and based upon the benefits of diesel power including: Torque, reliability, safety, fuel shelf life, ability to swim without shutting down, etc

I intend to keep all that gear running for as many years after any very severe crisis as I can - that is why I store more than 1500 gallons of diesel.

I treat and rotate that stock.

The more uses you choose to have for diesel, the easier it is to rotate.

Last edited:
Diesel is vulnerable to algae growth if it gets contaminated with water.

The algae can't grow in pure diesel, but it can/does grow in the water droplets within moisture contaminated diesel. In most cases the water gets into the diesel as condensation inside tanks that are subjected to a temperature cycle throughout each day. If you are storing diesel for a long time, store the tanks somewhere the temperature cycle is less pronounced - I have my tanks inside a shed.

But luckily, you can treat new diesel to prevent algae and even kill algae if it gets growing, using a biocide that kills the algae and disperses any water contamination.

If you do ever need to kill algae and make diesel good again, filter the fuel after using the biocide. The filtering removes the dead algae.

The newest diesel engines may also benefit from treating poor quality diesel with a cetane booster (Cetane is the diesel equivalent of Octane rating).
+1 on draining the water from your diesel fuel tanks.
Not that I have a degree in Diesel and Heavy Equipment Mechanics (I actually do), but every partially full diesel tank will sweat inside during some weather conditions. They breathe.
The pickup in every tank is placed well above the bottom of the tank to prevent the engine from getting a slug of water.
The problem is, the bottom of the tank rusts. This creates two big problems:
1. The fuel movement mixes rust into the diesel fuel which clogs up filters and fuel pumps.
2. The bottom of the tanks rust out and start leaking.
Don't worry about diesel getting too old to run an engine. I've started ones that had been sitting for 10 years with no problem.
Worry about condensation and the resulting rust.
*Don't even get me started on 'bio-diesel'!

+1 on draining the water from your diesel fuel tanks.
Not that I have a degree in Diesel and Heavy Equipment Mechanics (I actually do), but every partially full diesel tank will sweat inside during some weather conditions. They breathe.
The pickup in every tank is placed well above the bottom of the tank to prevent the engine from getting a slug of water.
The problem is, the bottom of the tank rusts. This creates two big problems:
1. The fuel movement mixes rust into the diesel fuel which clogs up filters and fuel pumps.
2. The bottom of the tanks rust out and start leaking.
Don't worry about diesel getting too old to run an engine. I've started ones that had been sitting for 10 years with no problem.
Worry about condensation and the resulting rust.

Agreed......and I do try to keep long term tanks very full and once I start drawing from them, empty them out ASAP (which limits condensation and algae growth).

My medium and big diesel storage tanks are plastic.......no rust.

I have to admit that my plans to use gasoline are suspect in the context of diesel.

I believe I will be shifting to diesel not only because of it's storage and energy potentials but because it can be run off vegetable oil. I can grow vegetable oil but I cant grow gasoline.

That introduces a $10k difference between what I invested in and what I should have.

Live and learn.

Ben

I have to admit that my plans to use gasoline are suspect in the context of diesel.

I believe I will be shifting to diesel not only because of it's storage and energy potentials but because it can be run off vegetable oil. I can grow vegetable oil but I cant grow gasoline.

That introduces a $10k difference between what I invested in and what I should have.

Live and learn.

Ben

Many diesels can also use Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) as a partial or complete replacement for diesel fuel:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0901dp-automatic-transmission-fluid-fuel/
Just make sure you filter out any particulates.

If an EMP ever happens, some people may well be roaming around, salvaging ATF from all the dead gasoline vehicles.

Live and learn.

Ben
*Don't even get me started on 'bio-diesel'!
...More problems than you can shake a stick at.:mad: And they are not small problems.
I've danced with that crap.
You'd be better off with something steam-powered that you could toss firewood into. 🙄
Or.
Did you forget that you can grow corn, make ethanol, and run most gasoline engines on it?

If you are going to grow a crop to make alcohol corn is the last on the list. Sugar cane, sugar beats, sweet potatoes, and Jerusalem artichokes are all better than corn and if you use Jerusalem artichokes and harvest only the canes you only plant it once. You can harvest the canes twice a year. It grows in poor soil and responds to compost very well.

Why do people always have to complicate the crap out of things IE Bio-diesel, in the event we need to run engines on plant oil, we won't have time clocks so pre heating an engine and fuel will be a lot more feasible so all of the nightmares of making biodiesel wouldn't or shouldn't be involved. If the government gets behind something, again bio fuel, you KNOW it will be a net loss for the people.
@ supervisor42 I really think steam power needs a further look, because steam horsepower rating for the old steam engines was a whole different animal than what is refered to today. so it may be more efficient than we have been led to believe

Latest posts

Back