I just dont understand people...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have some friends who just came to town to visit. They used to live here but moved to the Houston area about 5 years ago. They just commented on the fact that we have 3 freezers and asked why we felt the need to have so much food on hand. ???? They spent days at a shelter and now have the kids staying with family in Austin while they fix the house that was up to its eaves in water and learned nothing. Good thing they didn't see my pantry hua?

I just tell those people that I shop sales to save money and that at the rate of inflation that my food pays better than the bank.

Most people think ROI means Return On Investment, I think it should mean Return On Inflation. Most investments do not return enough to combat the actual amount of inflation, not the fake government determination of what inflation amount to pay Social Security raises on. Prepping is the best ROI available to most people. IMHO

@Terri9630 I think some people will never learn because they don't see that what they are doing is wrong mainly because most of the populous does the same as them, it is the norm unfortunately. We are all here an exception to the rule which is a good thing indeed .

Incidentally we are a 2 person family with no children and have 2 x 400 lt freezers in our kitchen too as well as a fridge the same size.

I also say almost precisely to the word as what @Caribou says if asked but usually no-one goes into our kitchen unless they are close friends and most don't know we have another room where we store preps and food either so they are completely oblivious to the fact we stock anything and we like to keep it that way. Those who aren't close friends don't get past sitting in the lounge room here.

...at the rate of inflation that my food pays better than the bank.

And that is absolutely true.

Some years back there was a really bad peanut harvest. The price of the 2-pack that I usually buy went from $8. 50 to nearly $15.00. I think I had 10-12 of those 2-packs sitting on the shelf. I was able to ride it out and never had to pay the inflated price. :)

@UncleJoe we have had many incidences the same and rode it out with supplies we had when prices have risen to ridiculously high or when certain items have been out of stock. Due to a butter shortage our prices rose in 2 x 20% increases in price in one month and we had 16 x 500g blocks in the freezer. Typically though the prices only came down slightly after the supposed shortage stopped but in the meantime we bought another 12 blocks before the second price rise. So yes we saved way more than the CPI was saying on 2 - 3% and that is what our pensions are tied to each year, obviously the inflation was far outweighing our pension rises in this case and in many others.

I just noticed that our tinned two fruits at a low price are now back in stock after around 6 months and we still have 3 tins left in our pantry but we will top up when we go shopping in early January.

It certainly does pay in many respects to have a good pantry and backup supplies in all things you need in the home as it covers you for every situation life throws at you.

We were talking at work once (with DHS & FEMA) about surviving a disaster that disrupts services. They were saying how most people have enough food in their homes to survive 'a week or so' if the food supply chain breaks down. In my mind I was thinking "Are you kidding me!?". Without even touching my long term and freeze dried preps I could feed my large family for at least a month without rationing or having to get creative. Of course these are the same people who run like maniacs to the grocery store every time the weatherman says there is a storm coming. You can lead a man to common sense but you can't make him use or understand it.

I'm feeling a bit slighted. I only have 2 freezers, a full size fridge and another dorm size one. :( :)

Don't feel bad. I only have two full size refrigerators and one large freezer.
facepalm.gif
Although on the other hand 5 months a year my entire garage is a freezer.
grin.gif

Although on the other hand 5 months a year my entire garage is a freezer. View attachment 1595

OK. My garage is turning into a freezer right now but it won't last more than a few weeks.

Now if you were to head up to Erie, Pa I believe they will have snowbanks to use as a freezer until July. They're up to nearly 10' of snow so far this season.

Depending upon where you live, an enclosed porch can also be a freezer for a period of time, depending upon the weather.

Every other year when we are going to have a week or so of sub-zero temps, we will defrost our freezer by putting all the food in coolers and boxes and setting them in the garage. Very quick and easy to do. I often wondered how people in Arizona do it. Apparently they all have multiple freezers. :)

Every other year when we are going to have a week or so of sub-zero temps, we will defrost our freezer by putting all the food in coolers and boxes and setting them in the garage. Very quick and easy to do. I often wondered how people in Arizona do it. Apparently they all have multiple freezers. :)
Yes, defrosting and cleaning out freezers is recommended during winter months. I usually do it in the summer, by using coolers and boxes with lids. Why did I get started doing it in the summer? Because I had more time and energy then.

We were talking at work once (with DHS & FEMA) about surviving a disaster that disrupts services. They were saying how most people have enough food in their homes to survive 'a week or so' if the food supply chain breaks down. In my mind I was thinking "Are you kidding me!?". Without even touching my long term and freeze dried preps I could feed my large family for at least a month without rationing or having to get creative. Of course these are the same people who run like maniacs to the grocery store every time the weatherman says there is a storm coming. You can lead a man to common sense but you can't make him use or understand it.

Did you get a feel on how many of your brother LEO's decided to increase their inventory?

Did you get a feel on how many of your brother LEO's decided to increase their inventory?

They are like the spectrum of society. Some were already well prepared, some in the middle and some could not make it 12 hours. Even the guys who have seen people go without during storms and such. I guess if you don't get it, you don't get it. Although in all fairness when DHS and FEMA start talking it's hard to pay attention sometimes. :cool:

The Lizard man probably has to have a few freezers, but up here in the AZ mountains, my garage or porch can be my freezer for a few months of the year!

Us Valley folks do use multiple freezers, or at least the Lizard Man does. Drop the frozen supply down towards winter, defrost one while the other is stacked full. Swap freezers and repeat.

Other than a few things we just like to have that we buy from the store we are basically good till the early season crops come in next year. Farm life, homesteading, country living are all about prepping. I find to do any of them well, or anything in life for that matter, the key is usually being prepared. Being prepared with knowledge, tools, parts, or whatever else you might come across. I don't get people either. ... I couldn't image not being prepared for whatever comes down the road. Couldn't image my family starving to death because we only had 2 weeks worth if food in the house. Im not talking bad about these people because im sure they are good people. It's just i don't understand people who don't grow their own food. I don't even mean like grow all their food but like even a tomato plant in a pale or a small patch of kale in a window box. They will have house plants and flowers everywhere and not a single plant to produce actual food. I just bang my head against the wall in hopes it will knock me completely out and i won't have to bother with trying to understand it. Why do you have such a big freezer?...... Oh i don't know because i like living! Makes me want to look them dead in the eye and say back to them very slowly, "you do know that not having food has been directly linked to starving to death right?!". Like i said im sure your friends are nice people but around here we call people like them consumers.

@Terri9630 . . . you mean its not normal to have three freezers & two side by side fridges?? ;)

I always thought so... we have 3 freezers a frig with a top freezer and one with a bottom freezer. One freezer for pork, one for beef and one for poultry. Veggies get canned, dehydrated or put into the small frig freezers.

Last edited:
We have a fridge with little freezer in the house, one in the garage that's bigger than that, a chest freezer and a chest freezer I use for overflow at the school. Also a minifridge. I've been wanting one more freezer. It's so cold out right now 1 degree, I could just throw things on the porch.

I'm just going to wait for the Canadian government to save me ;)

:sarcasm:
I am so glad you added the sarcasm sign. It’s frightening to me how many Canadians do view the government as their savior, how many believe government money if “free” and how often I hear a sentence start with “the government should...” when it is very last thing the government should be involved in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad you added the sarcasm sign. It’s frifhtenin* to me how many Canadians do view the government as their saviour, how many bleiv3 government money if “free” and how often I hear a sentence start with “the government should...” when it is very last thing the government should be involved in.

That's not just Canada...

I am so glad you added the sarcasm sign. It’s frifhtenin* to me how many Canadians do view the government as their saviour, how many bleiv3 government money if “free” and how often I hear a sentence start with “the government should...” when it is very last thing the government should be involved in.

Man ... the new OS for my iPad does weird things when I type, I am going to have to reread before I post. Hopefully you can get the gist of what I was saying.

I know it's very scary to say the least.

We have a fridge with little freezer in the house, one in the garage that's bigger than that, a chest freezer and a chest freezer I use for overflow at the school. Also a minifridge. I've been wanting one more freezer. It's so cold out right now 1 degree, I could just throw things on the porch.

I have to have freezers, even in the winter. Its New year's eve and we are supposed to hit 70 today. Our low is just below freezing.

Latest posts

Back