I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1592237864695.jpg

Jim

Sorry if I posted this ugly barn before… I built this hay barn in 1974. I was a teenager. My grandfather was almost blind with cataracts but he helped me, usually handing up lumber. On the far side was a side shed with 3 stalls for penning cattle. Wish I had $2k to refurbish it. The hillside has washed away, afraid its going to collapse.

Parked right beside it is a chisel plow I built a couple of years later. We still use it every couple of years. I used a coil spring to provide flexibility (nonridged).

Beside that is an old hayrake I remember using one year. Grandpa pulled it with a tractor while I sat on the rake and operated it.

Barn 18_v1.jpg
Chisel plow in 13_v1.jpg

Peanut, I have my grandpa's old hay rake just like that one. He drove a Farmall Cub and pulled me around on that to rake up his hay. Then used pitchforks to loaded the hay into his barn loft. I thought throwing hay bales was hard work. They didn't have nothing on a pitchfork and loose hay.
I sure miss those times spent with Papaw out working.

Peanut, I have my grandpa's old hay rake just like that one. He drove a Farmall Cub and pulled me around on that to rake up his hay. Then used pitchforks to loaded the hay into his barn loft. I thought throwing hay bales was hard work. They didn't have nothing on a pitchfork and loose hay.
I sure miss those times spent with Papaw out working.

Me too! I miss the times and the way people were backthen. When society had some sense. And the old barns too.

Latest posts

Back