I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Wife and I go for long rides , out in the back country, just to look at old farms..most times the only thing still standing are the old barns.

Love them old barns....
FB_IMG_1580226968939.jpg

Jim

Wife and I go for long rides , out in the back country, just to look at old farms..most times the only thing still standing are the old barns.

Love them old barns....
View attachment 33636
Jim

Tis one is neat,are those stalls with windows or tack rooms? If stalls I like the windows open so the horse or cow can stick its head out to look around. I use like to see the horses head looking out the window.:cool:

I really like old barns and they are disappearing everywhere. I have many many pics of them.
Here is just one.
View attachment 33649
I would rebuild the top part and live in it.
Oh yeah!
Live in the bottom, the oldest son , grand daughter could live upstairs.
Bottom would be big enough for me, my sewing stuff, my large 200 year old quilt frame, all the rest of my crafts, my toys.

Jim what are you trying to do to me? First dream houses and now dream barns to go with? Geesh! Meerkat's gonna be playing Everly Brothers for me pretty soon :D
@MoBookworm1957 you've been holding out on us. Why haven't we seen a pix of the 200 yr old quilt frame in the quilting thread? (Would love to see it, bet it's rustic and beautiful.)
I believe it's in Germany that they build barns so that the critters occupy the bottom and the humans live in the upper portion. It's for heat efficiency in winter.

What about the Quilt Patch Trail? Have you seen them painted on the sides of barns up at the top where the roof's peaks join? Very pretty, even on old barns. https://barnquiltsmn.org/
the above link is for Minnesota. A few years ago we saw them as we traveled through Indiana.

http://www.barnquiltinfo.com
I can't get an image to copy so you'll have to look it up yourselves. ;)

Along about '06 I happened to download a bunch of photo's packaged as desktops. There were a bunch of old barns... What caught my attention about this one... in the late 1990's I lived in TN, would sometimes drive to Bama to visit family...

I recognized this barn... it's just outside Lynchburg TN, home of Jack Daniels... I used to drive by it.

Working Farms 013.jpg

View attachment 33680
I see old barns like this everywhere around my area.
Some still house equipment , some started to fall down.

Jim

Jim, I have noticed that you take some totally AWESOME pictures...
props for your skills !

My grand Parents had a barn that looked like this one. when we were little we would run then jump out of the hay loft door then hit the ground rolling
run back up into the loft and do it again. I think about that now and come to the conclusion we were either indestructible or stupid

Back when I lived up in Minnesota I would often ride motorcycle down country roads and take pics of barns. I have about 100 pictures that I took of them.
View attachment 33684 View attachment 33685

I would love to see inside that barn and how the roof framing was constructed. I watch barnwood builders sometime and get a kick out of how some of those old cabins, timber frames, and barns were put together.
I spent a lot of time in various folks barns growing up, both playing as a youngster and working as I got bigger. I still enjoy being in them.

Patch there are quite few old barns with the quilts on them around here. But it's a new trend, say last 20 years or so.

Jim what are you trying to do to me? First dream houses and now dream barns to go with? Geesh! Meerkat's gonna be playing Everly Brothers for me pretty soon :D
@MoBookworm1957 you've been holding out on us. Why haven't we seen a pix of the 200 yr old quilt frame in the quilting thread? (Would love to see it, bet it's rustic and beautiful.)
I believe it's in Germany that they build barns so that the critters occupy the bottom and the humans live in the upper portion. It's for heat efficiency in winter.
Honestly didn't think about it.
Didn't figure anybody would be interested in 200 year old quilt frame that my great grandfather made before he went totally blind.
The frame is beautiful to me.
I believe the frame is made of oak and ash. Trees were cut on family homestead.
Pegs for holding quilt tops in place are made of oak I believe.
Not entirely sure though.

Latest posts

Back