I trust the Dems to handle the economy THIS much

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Today, I took all my mom's investments to cash. Out of the market. Stocks, bonds, partnerships, etc. - "sell orders" placed for all. My gut is telling me that we have a few more weeks of sporadic, but slowly trending upwards gains, and then a BIG downturn. I will walk away from those possible small gains during the next few weeks to protect from the massive losses coming once Biden takes over. I'll let the Dems drag it all to the bottom, then pull the money out of cash and reinvest, buying at bargain basement prices. This was my mom's money. We will probably be following suit with our own money (the wife and I) shortly. We are a bit more tolerant of risk, so the need to exit the market is less urgent for us. Still, the Dems are going to kill it, and kill it badly, I predict. So be ready.

I often think how hysterically funny if at some point two hundred years ago a person overheard, two men talking. And one man say's, My "Money" is working for me".

Think how bazar that now days people talk about their money working for them. Given that money is an illusion.....period. And at the very most optimistic, money is a "Temporary" short term, agreed method of exchanging value.

And yet today we pretty much expect most everyone has investments, and it is common to hear people talk of they "money" working for them. I don't need to work, my money works for me.

This is fully accepted as reasonable, educated, prudent, broadly assumed rational......and not a massive con they have been sucker into.

Maybe in the future people will have jokes about how back when, the silly people who truly believed their money did their work.

So now I understand why people don't seriously prepare for hard times. They expect their "Money" will keep working, and they don't need to work or be prepared.

So people are like "slave" owners, only they expect their money to do their labor.

Note.......I am not in denial that this con is working. It is just that it so resembles the late 1920's when suddenly reality kicked'ass.

Today, I took all my mom's investments to cash. Out of the market. Stocks, bonds, partnerships, etc. - "sell orders" placed for all. My gut is telling me that we have a few more weeks of sporadic, but slowly trending upwards gains, and then a BIG downturn. I will walk away from those possible small gains during the next few weeks to protect from the massive losses coming once Biden takes over. I'll let the Dems drag it all to the bottom, then pull the money out of cash and reinvest, buying at bargain basement prices. This was my mom's money. We will probably be following suit with our own money (the wife and I) shortly. We are a bit more tolerant of risk, so the need to exit the market is less urgent for us. Still, the Dems are going to kill it, and kill it badly, I predict. So be ready.

Not sure money will helpyus
I'm like a whats happening magnet because I keep getting drawn into too much happenings.

I was just kinda minding my own business and enjoying this young couples adventures for past deveral years in their RV then boat to sail the world.
Sounds innocent,huh? Not so much next thing I know they are stuck in Covid BS in Figi then Tonga with other adventurers and no way out.Now they are hard docked on top o some hill in Tonga.So much for staying away from politics. I'm sure your daughter can relate too. Hope she is fine and not locked in.

Last edited:
Prudent move.
Selling when the market is at or near record highs is never a mistake.
You always hear about bulls and bears.
But nobody ever claims to be a bear.
I will.
My motto: "Every time somebody loses a fortune, somebody else finds it".
You can call me a carpetbagger, bottom-feeder, scavenger, vulture, I don't care.
When it comes to investing, price matters the most.
I was in buying with both feet during the market meltdown in March-April of this year.
If the '40% Off' sign is out, trust me, I will be there
waveguy.gif

I know so many people that seem to think buying a commodity is a lifelong investment. They buy it at whatever price it happens to be at (never considering if it's a good or bad time to buy), then they don't sell until they desperately need the money. And they sell at whatever price it's happens to be at when they so desperately need the money. Usually this price is not to their advantage. If they end up making money, that was pure, dumb luck.

Sure, there are things known as "long term investments". However, not everything should be a long term thing. Buy low, sell high. Take your cash and sit on it until you can buy low again, and repeat the cycle. We have bought and sold the same thing over and over again. People say, "Why didn't you just hang on to it in the first place?" The answer is, "Because we wouldn't have made any money on it that way."

Off topic
I often wonder how long it will be before people say " they used to pee and poop in clean water and then send it back into the earth. Can you believe that?" Or maybe they already are in some places.

I know so many people that seem to think buying a commodity is a lifelong investment. They buy it at whatever price it happens to be at (never considering if it's a good or bad time to buy), then they don't sell until they desperately need the money. And they sell at whatever price it's happens to be at when they so desperately need the money. Usually this price is not to their advantage. If they end up making money, that was pure, dumb luck.

Sure, there are things known as "long term investments". However, not everything should be a long term thing. Buy low, sell high. Take your cash and sit on it until you can buy low again, and repeat the cycle. We have bought and sold the same thing over and over again. People say, "Why didn't you just hang on to it in the first place?" The answer is, "Because we wouldn't have made any money on it that way."
We have a small amount in the market now to take advantage of the current situation. We reevaluate weekly and adjust as we think is prudent.

But there are some commodities that we do invest in and hang onto them. The most common form is tools (The Princess calls them toys).

The Princess purchased a cement mixer more than 30 years ago. It paid for itself in the first year with all of the time it saved me. Every project it has been used on since then has been pure profit. It seems it would have been silly to have sold it only to have to purchase another the next time I needed one.

I have a larger milling machine upgrade on my wishlist. It will cost a little more than what I paid to have my first steam engine machined. If am successful in machining the 5 set of castings I have waiting the last 3 steam engines will effectively be free.

The Princess has been slowly collecting long term food stuufs. The cost of the freeze dried stuff rated for 25 year years is rather dear. Eating from that store now instead of the normal store bought would a poor choice now. But if we have it cached for when food is in short supply, it could literally be worth its weight in gold. Looking at the current price of the 25 year stores it was a great investment when she started collecting years ago. Note: we will have to start eating it in about 15 years

My point is;

There are some things that are worth buying and keeping.

If I ever needed something that I would eventually sell, I would probably opt for renting.

My 2 cents
Ben

But there are some commodities that we do invest in and hang onto them.
Sorry, I think I added some confusion to the mix. I was talking about "commodities" as in the generic term for "stocks", "bonds", "options", etc. Financial market stuff. I agree, for "commodities" as in "tools", buy a good one at the start and hang on to it forever. Unless your original goal was to buy it as an investment. If so, then treat it the same as a financial market commodity - buy low, sell high. Phideaux knows all about that. He's got to be a billionaire by now...

Silver, gold and other precious metals are commodities too. I doubt you can make money trading them either but with stocks bonds and other "paper" commodities you have a good point. Buying gold stocks is just paper investments in the company so you are investing in the company and not in gold.

I'll have to ask The Princess if we have enough dried beef to make it to 2024.

Ben
Well, see (#2), if the New Greens attempt to eliminate them farting bovines, they won't get all of them; there will be sanctuaries beyond their reach. But after the Green Reich ends in 2024, grazer-meat will be very scarce and very expensive. Better ask The Princess to figure on 2026.

Well, see (#2), if the New Greens attempt to eliminate them farting bovines, they won't get all of them; there will be sanctuaries beyond their reach. But after the Green Reich ends in 2024, grazer-meat will be very scarce and very expensive. Better ask The Princess to figure on 2026.
I just checked with her and she said maybe. We can stretch it out in spaghetti and chili ration the beef jerky...

Ben

Well, see (#2), if the New Greens attempt to eliminate them farting bovines, they won't get all of them; there will be sanctuaries beyond their reach. But after the Green Reich ends in 2024, grazer-meat will be very scarce and very expensive. .
Now, I gave up being a cow-poke at age 18 and swore I would never go back.
We ate some of the best beef I have ever had.
That has worked just fine for many decades.
I still have the knowledge and skills.
But I am an investor, and if you tell me that sirloin is $20 a pound and ground beef is $10 a pound, we can certainly put the 'machine' back together
nod.gif
Don't make me find my boots! :waiting:.

Take your cash and sit on it...
I hear what you're saying. Sad thing is, I'm concerned about the devaluation of the dollar, too...

The cost of the freeze dried stuff rated for 25 year years is rather dear.

Indeed it is. I think there's a lot of value to one of those home freeze dryers, if one can handle the investment.

We think a like. I did the same thing with my investments to preserve my investments and paper profits.

Now, I gave up being a cow-poke at age 18 and swore I would never go back.
We ate some of the best beef I have ever had.
That has worked just fine for many decades.
I still have the knowledge and skills.
But I am an investor, and if you tell me that sirloin is $20 a pound and ground beef is $10 a pound, we can certainly put the 'machine' back togetherView attachment 54137.
Don't make me find my boots! :waiting:.
I expect the Dems to print money, same as Trump has, and inflation to, um, not subside. Sirloin may list for $50 per pound.

I hear what you're saying. Sad thing is, I'm concerned about the devaluation of the dollar, too...

Indeed it is. I think there's a lot of value to one of those home freeze dryers, if one can handle the investment.

We have been looking at Freeze Dryers. They aren't cheap, but would be worth the money over time.

I wish you luck, but I suspect cash (the U.S. dollar) will be the real problem here - I think it will sink like a stone. Better, IMO, to buy commodities that hold their value while the dollar can still buy something. (And I don't mean stocks or other conventional investments.)

Last edited:
I expect the Dems to print money, same as Trump has, and inflation to, um, not subside. Sirloin may list for $50 per pound.
The thing is, you can't print money. You can only print currency. There's a big difference.

The thing is, you can't print money. You can only print currency. There's a big difference.
It's ok.
Most of it will be strapped to pallets and sent to Iran as a "peace-offering" anyway 😉.

Latest posts

Back