Ideas to use burlap bags

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I stumbled upon a bunch of burlap bags, all food grade & made from jute......probably atleast 100 of them with an offer for more. Now I'm trying to figure out ways to use them. Some have been cut open and others are intact.

Ideas I've come up with,......

1. use in the garden and/or pathways as a mulch or weedblock. I can even cut into it to plant.

2. fill with soil & plant

3. Maybe make a purse, or small crafty pouch bags for something.......I don't know what yet, but something.

I would like to find something easy to make and then sell it, for a little extra pocket money.......but I'm not really crafty and that's why it would have to be easy. Anyone have ideas here??

When I worked in the coffee plant, I could get Burlap bags for free.
I used them for mulch & clam bakes, some hunter use them as blinds.
Yo can store stuff in them, black walnut until they cure, peas to dry out or Okra pods.
DO NOT let animals sleep on them, my father said it cause the mange by mite infestation.
Check with your vet, I do not know if burlap is bad for animals.

I stumbled upon a bunch of burlap bags, all food grade & made from jute......probably atleast 100 of them with an offer for more. Now I'm trying to figure out ways to use them. Some have been cut open and others are intact.

1. use in the garden and/or pathways as a mulch or weedblock. I can even cut into it to plant.

3. Maybe make a purse, or small crafty pouch bags for something.......I don't know what yet, but something.

I would like to find something easy to make and then sell it, for a little extra pocket money.......but I'm not really crafty and that's why it would have to be easy. Anyone have ideas here??
I like the fill with dirt and grow. Maybe double up to keep sunlight out.

They make great refrigeration systems.
I was thinking of this also. And "air-conditioning" in certain situations.

I have seen bed skirts made from burlap. Also a good shade system if laced together and formed into a "canopy."

I have always loved this episode of Lucille Ball. 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-192719.png
    Screenshot_20220227-192719.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
I was thinking of this also. And "air-conditioning" in certain situations.

I have seen bed skirts made from burlap. Also a good shade system if laced together and formed into a "canopy."
That reminds me we used burlap laced together to remove large piles of Fall leaves, like a trap.

Back when feed came in burlap bags I'd use the emptys for making drowning sets for beaver. Just fill with rocks and sand, wire the drowning cable to it and toss in deep water. Wish I could find some now.

I got these at a local hardware store, garden section. I guess alot of the trees and stuff they got in had been shipped in them(?) So that may be a place to check if other garden centers have the bags. IDK, but maybe worth a try

Tell me more about this??? I can't imagine a burlap bag could keep anything cold for very long
You can make a swamp cooler with burlap. Burlap holds plenty of water and is porous enough to allow airflow.

They look awesome when tied closed in the traditional way using a "Bag Knot" (first picture) or a "Miller's Knot" (second picture). So if you end up doing some craftsy type thing with them, use a short length of rope to tie them closed for its coolness factor (I like the more traditional look of the sisal rope in the first picture).

sack2.png

sack.png

They look awesome when tied closed in the traditional way using a "Bag Knot" (first picture) or a "Miller's Knot" (second picture). So if you end up doing some craftsy type thing with them, use a short length of rope to tie them closed for its coolness factor (I like the more traditional look of the sisal rope in the first picture).

View attachment 81327

View attachment 81328

Atleast some of the bags had a rope on them similar to the first pic, but I didn't spend alot of time looking them over, other than I did notice there was a small metal end on the rope tie. At first glance, it looked decorative......maybe a company logo stamp?

Be careful Caribou you are telling your age with that post, most don’t even know what a swamp cooler is anymore. Heck I haven’t seen one in my area in at least 20 years.

Thats what most people have out here. Some have switched to refrigerated A/C but swamp coolers are the main cooling system.

Thats what most people have out here. Some have switched to refrigerated A/C but swamp coolers are the main cooling system.
It’s a cheap and effective way of cooling that’s for sure, it’s just puts too much moisture into the space being cooled here in the south, humid enough already. Some of the older mom and pop stores out in the country still have them but hardly ever see the being used anymore.

Use them for dehydrating herbs and keeping the bugs and rats off your apples, cabbages and potatoes in your cellar.
you can also use them in the smoke house for smoking sausages or extra protection on your cured meats and I
guess you could make a suit out of them and cover yourself in ashes and walk around with a "REPENT THE END IS HERE!"
Sign if you want. lol

Latest posts

Back