Ideas to use burlap bags

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful Caribou you are telling your age with that post, most don’t even know what a swamp cooler is anymore. Heck I haven’t seen one in my area in at least 20 years.
I didn't really know what a swamp cooler was, but have heard the term many times. I was thinking holding stuff in a creek or river so it didn't get washed downstream to keep it cool, like we used to do when camping. Maybe that's a redneck cooler, IDK :)

Never used or heard of a swamp cooler as a child, learned about them on the internet.
But from what little I understand, burlap would work.
In my twenties, I stopped at a intown greenhouse that a swamp cooler to add humidity to the plant as well as cool the heat of the day in summer.
Never knew it as a swamp cooler, just that it cold be used in a greenhouse.

Do you remember the water bags that we used to hang in front of the cars radiator? Kept the water cool.
Not first hand, a lesson from Dad and/or Grandpa. Same with swamp coolers, they dont' work worth a 💩 in Cincinnati.

I learned to cook/heat food on an exhaust manifold too

They are a dry climate thing. They don't work in high humidity places.
Yup.

The cooling capacity is due to water evaporating. Evaporation is a cooling process. But round here we have the moisture if the Great Lakes that saturates the air.

They don't work when we need them.

SW PA

Ben

Be careful Caribou you are telling your age with that post, most don’t even know what a swamp cooler is anymore. Heck I haven’t seen one in my area in at least 20 years.
Everyone on my street has a swamp cooler, all 5 of us! Many people have them here. They are popular in Colorado because of how arid it is here.

It’s a cheap and effective way of cooling that’s for sure, it’s just puts too much moisture into the space being cooled here in the south, humid enough already. Some of the older mom and pop stores out in the country still have them but hardly ever see the being used anymore.

They work great on all but what we call humid days in the desert.

It'll work for all kinds of nuts if you tie it tight enough ;)

Knew a deer hunter who field dressed a deer & put the organs in a burlap sack & sit in the river, so it will not dry out. When he came back for it, the catfish where all around the sack.

things they were used for before the internet.
eCcNi04.jpg

Latest posts

Back