If you won a million dollars, what would you do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing this game with husband for years; funny how a million used to go a long way when we moved back here.
I'd buy the land next door, (because its a nice area) which has an empty farmhouse down a long lane and a decent stream. Then I'd forest a good chunk of it and renovate it to be totally off grid. Funny enough, because its been empty for so long I'd actually get grants to do it up and add solar panels lol! I'd then put cabins for the kids between the two, and buy them cars. Then share the love with some small unfunded charities I support. And because I had decent fencing, I'd finally get that goat I always wanted!

Edited to include some kick ass amp my husband has always wanted.

Wow! Small world.

They are looking at houses in Brighton. Is that a good area?

He will be a professor at a university there but I don't yet know the name. We are going to Baltimore for his doctoral graduation from Johns Hopkins in May.
Yes, Brighton is a very nice area and the neighboring 'burbs are also excellent.

There are a number of universities in and around Rochester...University of Rochester, Nazareth University, St. John Fisher University, a few nearby State University of New York (SUNY) campuses, as well as many colleges.

If it was "only " a million dollars I would invest conservatively, and do more traveling. I would buy a nice conversion van and drive. I would like to see more of the country. Northern states in the Summer and Southern states in the Winter. I would like to attend a game at every Major League Baseball park. Probably take a few cruises. We have very little debt, and it would make life more comfortable.

If it was a big one like they get now where it could be hundreds of millions, I would split it equally four ways: Me, Wife, Son, Daughter. My son and daughter's share would be split in half and put in trust. Half of the trust would be paid in monthly increments until they reached retirement age. The second half would be put in an IRA, so if they wasted every penny of the first half, they would still have a nest egg for later years.

I would probably buy a ranch in Southern Arizona and live like Michael Caine and Robert Duval in Second Hand Lions, a movie I highly recommend. Posted: IF YOU CAN READ THIS SIGN YOU ARE IN RANGE.

If it was "only " a million dollars I would invest conservatively, and do more traveling. I would buy a nice conversion van and drive. I would like to see more of the country. Northern states in the Summer and Southern states in the Winter. I would like to attend a game at every Major League Baseball park. Probably take a few cruises. We have very little debt, and it would make life more comfortable.

If it was a big one like they get now where it could be hundreds of millions, I would split it equally four ways: Me, Wife, Son, Daughter. My son and daughter's share would be split in half and put in trust. Half of the trust would be paid in monthly increments until they reached retirement age. The second half would be put in an IRA, so if they wasted every penny of the first half, they would still have a nest egg for later years.

I would probably buy a ranch in Southern Arizona and live like Michael Caine and Robert Duval in Second Hand Lions, a movie I highly recommend. Posted: IF YOU CAN READ THIS SIGN YOU ARE IN RANGE.
Not that I know, but the winner of these large winnings can either opt for a cash settlement, or monthly allotments until you die? Can it be transferred to a child's lifetime? Not that I really have to be concerned, just curious.

Not that I know, but the winner of these large winnings can either opt for a cash settlement, or monthly allotments until you die? Can it be transferred to a child's lifetime? Not that I really have to be concerned, just curious.

From what I have heard, usually from talking heads, no first hand experience, you have two options lump sum or monthly installments. If you take the lump sum you forfeit half of the total right off the top. The remaining balance would be taxed at the Federal and State level. If you take the lump sum you will probably end up with 25% of the total.

I don't know how long monthly installments last. I have heard 20 years, but I don't know if it can be extended to a longer period. I don't know if this extends to heirs should the winner die, but the smart money says takes the lump sum, and it is yours. You can certainly pass that on to your heirs.

500million in bank at 5% gets you 25 million a year before taxes. i never spend the interest....even doing crazy stuff like i want to do...i get me a full time building crew and go around fixing elderly poor peoples homes up.i see porches and roofs in need of repair all the time.

help working poor i see too.

Lottery numbers are high but regardless:
If you won a million, what would you do?
I'd look at new windows and siding on my house. Around $50K.
I really have no plans for the rest other than to invest it.
Spot on, Zoomzoom!

A Million actually doesn't very far when splurging. Priorities first.

I'd pay off my house and make a few basic home improvements and invest the rest with fingers crossed that I could retire comfortably.

ETA: I'd bury a few $k.... as emergency back-up.

If I won a million dollars in the lottery, I would take lump sum...after taxes I'm guessing I'd have an amount around $300,000. With that, I'd do some home renovation & landscaping, travel, and invest.

If I had $1,000,000 take home, I would also buy some gold.

If I win the big one tonight, and have a take home of, say, $450,000,000, I'd...
  • Talk to a lawyer and financial advisor before claiming the money. Try to keep it secret, even from my kids, if I could. But, if you win the big one, it would be near impossible to keep secret, I'd imagine.
  • Bank it: I'm guessing I would be opening an account at a major, non-retail bank for rich people, like Goldman Sachs. Although, I would fill up my local bank account to the amount insured by the government, which I think is $500k for my wife and I.
  • Quit my job when the money is in my account.
  • Then, I would spend, some on expendables/enjoyment, but some primarily to diversify my wealth:
    • Gold: A large amount...at least a roll of 20, 1 ounce gold coins for each of my kids (and maybe some rolls of fractional ounce coins for them)...which they would not get or even know about until I die--they'd know I have something, but not the amount.
    • Charity...finally give what I would like to give, and maybe sit on their boards.
      • Donate to my church.
      • Donate to my favorite other charities
        • local veterans charity
        • local home for unwed mothers and those with crisis pregnancies
      • Set up a charitable foundation to manage future donations.
    • Health: I once read about a 5-figure yearly service for the ultra rich which runs all kinds of tests on you in an effort to find every possible problem early. I'd find that company and sign my wife and kids up.
    • Education: I'd sign up for language courses.
    • Property
      • New house nearby (one story ranch to grow old in, a little further out, but still close to current friends and family)...install a wine cellar, and maybe a storm/safe room underground. (Frankly, I'd be happy to just renovate my current house, but it isn't the best house to grow old in.)
      • Rural property in-state
      • Property in a northern mountain state...I'm thinking Idaho/Montana area
      • Property outside the United States...maybe something on each continent, and hire services to maintain them.
    • Art. I like paintings and sculpture, and I've always wanted to own some original artwork. I don't own any now, but I have a few artists in mind. That would be a fun hobby and a way to diversify my wealth.
    • Cars...maybe.
      • My wife gets a new car right away.
      • I'd have to do some thinking. Maybe a nice truck. (Although I hate the features on the new vehicles these days, so maybe not.)
      • Maybe cars for the kids, so they have safer cars (nothing lavish for them...probably gently used cars). One kid has a tiny car, and I'd like to replace that with a larger, safer car.
    • Wine: Bordeaux and Burgundy wines. I'm a sucker for good wine, and I would finally be able to buy the wine I want to drink, not just drink the wine I can buy now.
    • Toys: I was thinking maybe a few fun guns that are akin to investments, like an expensive over/under shotgun, or the like.
Not that I've thought about this at all.

If you have $450 million, then frankly, you have to "spend" just to diversify your wealth position, so it is not all digital cash at one bank which could fail. I could sit here and say, "I'm a simple man, and I don't need much." But, it would be foolish not to diversify my holdings, for myself and for my kids and grandkids. In other words, it would be foolish not to do some "financial prepping." I'd have to look into setting up long term emergency funds for the family, that the kids and later generations could not touch except in the event of emergency. I don't want them being spoiled rich kids. Self-earned self-sufficiency is one factor in having a happy life. But, if troubled times come, I'd want them to be able to have the resources to handle things.

Last edited:
A roughly $1 billion jack pot yields roughly a $530 million cash pay out.. After taxes this yields roughly a $238 million net deposit.. I've read the first thing you want to do is hire a GOOD accountant to file for the part taken for taxes..

And with that size net deposit... Do most anything you want to...
My daydream includes things like...
A couple hundred acres of wood land.. A new 4x4 truck.. Tractor with implements..
And a machine shop to invent and build things in..

A roughly $1 billion jack pot yields roughly a $530 million cash pay out.. After taxes this yields roughly a $238 million net deposit.. I've read the first thing you want to do is hire a GOOD accountant to file for the part taken for taxes..

And with that size net deposit... Do most anything you want to...
My daydream includes things like...
A couple hundred acres of wood land.. A new 4x4 truck.. Tractor with implements..
And a machine shop to invent and build things in..

With that much to invest I would buy Triple A rated Municipal Bonds. They are tax exempt, and even with a 3% return you would net over $7 million a year in interest, and never touch the principal. I think I could get by on that.

Honestly, I have thought about this a lot (day dreaming with a spreadsheet) and if it were over $100,000,000...

I would love to buy a house with an elevator, 2 vehicles and a tractor, an e-scooter for the wife, a greenhouse with a concrete floor, a shop (3+ car), enough land to: garden, have trees enough for wildlife (deer/turkey/birds), and a pond with a couple of fish, and have a good buffer zone between me and world.

After that, I would hire an accountant for each of my kids, have them tally up their bills and get them all paid off, buy each a modest house, and give them enough money to live on modestly (annuity?). I would make sure that the taxes (gift taxes are high) are paid on my end.

I would figure out what my annual expenses are (at the new life style), divide that by 4% and invest the result.

Keep enough in reserve to pay all my taxes.

If I had anything left I would donate that to worthy causes. (Distant, relatives are not worthy causes)

Most people are missing out on the important part...

If you won a million dollars, what would you do?​

The first thing I would do is pay 1/3rd of it in taxes so I wouldn't end up in prison, like the gay-guy that won on the Survivor TV show :(.

Pay off family debt.
Set up trust funds for Daughter and Nephews.
Fund things I feel are important, like Lutherans for Life and something that helps vets. (I'd have research done to find a trustworthy organization.)
Buy land, put it in conservation trusts, and plant trees.

I think I would buy some land in a relatively remote location, something that would allow me to do a mix of hobby farm/garden with a few animals. What would be nice would be something large enough to have an extra house for the kids.... But the devil is in the details and things are much more expensive than they used to be.
Sounds like our place...we call Hill House. Big old rambler...I get my own wing...4 BR's in the main section. Oldest and youngest live here...and plenty of couch surfers. 115 acres...verdant Tarzan Country......sopping wet.

I’d add a two story garage with a full basement, with an 8” concrete floor in the garage as I’m 40-50 miles downwind from a few targets. A greenhouse on the other end of my home with a Slovenian bee house at one end. If I had any money left I’d love to rebuild my old Jeep and convert to a diesel.

Most people are missing out on the important part...

If you won a million dollars, what would you do?​

The first thing I would do is pay 1/3rd of it in taxes so I wouldn't end up in prison, like the gay-guy that won on the Survivor TV show :(.
I think I quit breathing when I saw your new avatar.😱

A million? Used to be a lot, so that means I won 2mil and after taxes that's the remaining amount.
Kinda like where I live so probably pay off the remainder on home and check into the option of prepayment of taxes for about twenty years.
Not enuf money to consider buying another home and property, six years ago we moved into the N. GA area and after months of searching and found a house with solid structure but it still needed upgrades, any house almost 20 years old things still function but much is near the end of its service lifespan.
Was surprised when owners accepted our offer just a bit over 250k!!
Well short story long..... Noticed a real estate sign in a neighbor's yard.... It is a little larger in square feetage and a quater acre larger lot,....... Listed and sold for $ 875,000 !!!!
Dang! I didn't know I was so highfaluttin! Guess I need to get busy and drag the property values down.

When I did my estimates I assumed Federal and State taxes would take 50% right of the top. Then there are gift taxes, which are almost equal to the gift. So if you had $100,000,000; after the first taxes you would be down to $50,000,000; If you gave ~$12.5 Mil to the kids/Gkids, the gift tax would reduce what you had left to $25 Mill. Then I would start to buy all the crap (~$10M) and investments ($100,000/.04=$2.5M) for the annual income I wanted for myself. Yep, when I thought it all out I included the taxes in my spreadsheet for the stuff I described in post #45.

To be honest, by the time I got to worthy causes I was down to just over 12% of what I started with. I guess $100M doesn't go as far as it used to. :)

I think I quit breathing when I saw your new avatar.😱
ugliest avatar ever...and worthy of the ignore button/feature on forum i do believe.....lol....his cheese has slipped off the cracker

Taxes... This thread got me to thinking what would the taxes be on $100M spent the way I described...
Answer, $63.225M, Including income/gambling tax, gift tax, sales tax, and income tax on first year of investments.
You get to actually spend $36.775M. 36%, Now doesn't that burst your bubble!

That's the Lottery,
you can lose if you don't play.

On my eighteenth birthday, I did two foolish things at the same time:
1) bought a lottery ticket
2) bought a girlie magazine

They picked the wrong dang numbers so that ticket was worthless. Haven't fell for that again! That second thing? I fell for that weakness time and again.

Moral? Selfish desire is inversely proportional to happiness.

Reactions: Neb
Give 25% away, invest in son business.
Pay off all the debit & build a house on the farm.
I may or may not do some other things, that I would not tell anyone about.

Latest posts

Back