I'm Really Starting To Hate HP Printers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've had a HP DeskJet 2652 printer for a number of years now and it seems that every time we try to print something it will kick out a test print, my DW is trying to make a scan copy and it's been to no avail and of course the ink cartridges are small and costly, in doing some research on the machine I found that the printer is no longer supported by HP, anyway we're going to Best Buy soon and I'm going to ask a few question before getting the next printer for our MacBook Pro and if I can avoid a HP I think I'll feel a whole lot better.

I always liked the Brother equipment, I had better luck with it than I did with HP. Now I no longer own a desktop computer system, I just get by with my Acer laptop, but I can always take it to the library and pay 15 cents per copy for stuff I want printed. Thankfully, printing has become a rare event in my life, but it's nice to know I can rely upon the library to have a working printer in case I need something copied. I also remember how expensive those ink cartridges were, so I don't miss that part of the whole deal, lol... ;)

Edit: For those interested in this option, you can take your own computer to the library and eliminate the hassle of using library computers... just ready the material you want copied, send it to the machine in the library, then go drop coins into the slot and press the button. Voila! Technically, I suppose you could send the material from your house, provided you already knew the address at the library, but I always drag my laptop inside just in case I need to resend the material. I have a thing about technology, I trust Big Tech about as much as I trust our gubmint, lol. 😒

Last edited:
We've had a HP DeskJet 2652 printer for a number of years now and it seems that every time we try to print something it will kick out a test print, my DW is trying to make a scan copy and it's been to no avail and of course the ink cartridges are small and costly, in doing some research on the machine I found that the printer is no longer supported by HP, anyway we're going to Best Buy soon and I'm going to ask a few question before getting the next printer for our MacBook Pro and if I can avoid a HP I think I'll feel a whole lot better.
Yeah, that is a topic that will drag me onto the soapbox :(.
Most of those are sold below the cost of manufacture to get you addicted to their expensive trademarked cartridges. Just like the Polaroid One-Step camera was only $20 but you had to feed it their patented film cartridges.
I looked at my photos and realized I had run $300 of their film thru my $20 camera:mad:.
They actually got sued when it was proven that they sold the cameras for less than even the motor in it costs:oops:.
HP knows people will shop for the 'cheapest' printer they can find.:(
They no longer support yours because the patent expired on their ink cartridges in it and the 'big money' is gone.

I sell used books online. Ebay used to have a used book site called half.com, which has been closed for a few years now. They had a forum where people talked about various things related to selling books, including printing and printers. There was an overwhelming like of HP printers. I have had a couple, an they have each lasted for about 10 years. But it is the cost of the ink cartridges that bites you. I used to get mine refilled at Costco, but they have closed their printing service. I wish I knew a place where I could get ink cartridges refilled now, but I think that is over.

. But it is the cost of the ink cartridges that bites you. I used to get mine refilled at Costco, but they have closed their printing service. I wish I knew a place where I could get ink cartridges refilled now, but I think that is over.
Yeah, that is a topic that will drag me onto the soapbox :(.
Here's my 'damink-cartridge'!!!
Empty THAT! :waiting:
IMG_20230802_200552.jpg

Or better yet, fill that! What does one of those cartridges cost to replace it?
I don't remember... but it will likely outlive me :).
And if you read underneath the model number, it says: "Use and Return".
Edit: But I do remember that if you returned the old cartridge in the enclosed box (with the shipping label they sent), it cost roughly half what a new cartridge did outright. :thumbs:
Edit #2: In answer to your question, today, new OEM=$130, Refurbished=$45. Either one will print 6,000 pages
77358-b72682ffc6bb25404e6ed18920619dd4.data

Last edited:
Years ago I replaced the inkjet printer with a Xerox color laser printer. The toner cartridges never dry out, it's only downside is it hooks to the router or a hub and it's HUGE

1691064363421.png
Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.11.38 AM.png

My last toner order (3000 pages) was 77 bucks, in 2019. 18 bucks a cartridge

Last edited:
We ended up getting an Epson EcoTank, it has a cartridge free printhead, we'll see how a tank system works, hopefully good, I like the idea of refillable ink tanks and the ink supply cost sounds less than what we were paying for cartridges.

You've seen Office Space, right? Do I need to provide a link to the "printer scene" from youtube? It's simultaneously extremely violent and vulgar, but completely appropriate because we all viscerally hate printers.

I've just resigned myself to buying a new printer every few years. I buy a couple extra packs of ink with the new printer. Is it wasteful, stupid, and completely unnecessary? Yeah, of course. If I printed frequently, I'd look seriously at good printers that cost a bundle and toner or ink reservoirs that were huge.

We ended up getting an Epson EcoTank, it has a cartridge free printhead, we'll see how a tank system works, hopefully good, I like the idea of refillable ink tanks and the ink supply cost sounds less than what we were paying for cartridges.

I went with an ink tank printer too. Just unboxed it today. I went with a Cannon G620. It was hard to decide what to go with. We've had a Brother for quite a few years but it has been doing very poorly with color printing of late despite lots of cleaning (and wasting a LOT of ink).

Looked at laser printers but the prices were high enough that I just didn't wanna spend that much. Seemed like every single printer out there had reviews such that some loved 'em, and some hated them. So... we'll see. At least buying one of the cheaper ones means that if it craps out sooner rather than later, I don't have a whole lot in it. I'd be a lot more upset if I had a few thousand $ invested than having a few hundred $ and it went south.

Best of luck! Hope your new printer works great! :)

I had my computer expert son get rid of the old HP info off my MacBook and put the new Epson printer in, it works great, oh happy day, I don't miss that POS HP. I haven't learned how to delete useless stuff off of the Book yet, that's the only good thing that Windows had, a good delete system.

After many years of printer pain.. I've given up entirely. Printers need regular use to be reliable, if you're only printing occasionally then find a shop somewhere that will print things for you.. the cost will be much lower than maintianing printers.

One caveat to that is, IMHO, it's worth going to a laser printer. Most printing doesn't need colour, B&W laser printers are quite cheap and don't gum up if left for a few weeks between prints.

Last edited:
After living without a printer for years by using the print shop in town or mooching off my neighbors, I finally bought one. A canon budget laser about $75. I've had it about a year now and use it once a month usually for statements. The rest of the time it sits off with a dust cover over it. Took a while to figure out how to print wireless with my devices, but don't regret buying it yet! The best part is it will pay for itself with the discount my bank gives for not mailing statements...

One caveat to that is, IMHO, it's worth going to a laser printer. Most printing doesn't need colour, B&W laser printers are quite cheap and don't gum up if left for a few weeks between prints.

Very good points! I mulled them over quite a lot before I sprung for a new printer. I'd have liked to have gone laser rather than inkjet but... I DO print in color, probably as often or more often than I do in black n white. We print labels to go onto our jellies / jams / pickles, stuff like that for the farmers market. It's just not the same without the color logo (which we often get complimented on).

Bumping up to color laser kinda bumps the price up into the "ouch" territory for me. I coulda, but I wasn't gonna get a quality unit I felt like I could rely on for the next several years for the price of an inkjet. And I gotta admit, inkjets do have their plusses. A decent one will print a very clear and vibrant color picture where a lower priced laser may struggle with that. Ink tends to last quite a long time, too, and isn't terribly expensive. But as said, one of the minuses is that an inkjet doesn't like to sit for too long between uses and some of them will blow through a lot of ink doing "maintenance cycles".

Ultimately, I decided to stick with inkjet for now. But next time I need a printer I will likely be lookin' at the laser models to see what's for sale. They've gotten cheaper with time and may come to a place where they'll make sense for me.

How is it on color?
It is B&W. 99.99% of stuff printed does not need to be in color! gaah
Soapbox time!
Guess what you get when you print with all of the colors at once? Black.
The in-laws had a color inkjet that burned thru color cartridges like crazy.
It also had a 'black' ink cartridge. (which oddly stayed full)
I noticed when you went to print 6 pages of simple text, it's 'default' was to use the color cartridges and you had to "tell" it to use the black cartridge each time or it would use all the color ones.:mad:gaah
Today, it is only used to print something in color (very rare).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back