Into The Wilds Challenge

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A close trusted friend comes to you saying you have to leave into the wilds or your dead meat.

You must flee to an area of your choosing and remain there alone entire time.Any wilderness area from mtns to sea. If you pick a waterway you can have a canoe,kayak or row boat,but no motors.(the boat is a free item too if used)

You must live for 6 months and lets go with time period right now of spring till fall.

This is not a war thing so no danger of needing to be a Rambo stuff. Just basic survival daily challenges and you cant return to any civilization...you must remain in the wilds.

You get your clothes and backpack and one cutting tool and a gallon of water..all are free items...plus meds if you take them.

You get to take 5 items of your choice...what items will you take and whats your plans on how to live the next 6 months?

No right or wrong answers..

You can fudge on items too...lol..i will !

That is going to require the "Mother" of all sales efforts. They could do it for 5 or 12 minutes, not six months........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
That is going to be a "Mother" of all sales efforts. They could do it for 5 or 12 minutes, not six months........:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I wanna see your list my friend...just say its the 50 year old you.

By the way..the entire reason of this thread is to possibly glean ideas and or possible items we might not thought of before.

After a bit i will post part B to this challenge.

No trade offs, the rules are set! I'm jumping in here Elkie😉! So I know I could NOT survive long in the Alaskan wilderness, so I would go southeast and near water (easy)! I can take the heat and there is an abundance of wildlife and edible plants! I am VERY GOOD at making fire, snares, and hand axes (handheld knives made from stone, using other stones as tools)! Please see my thread "practice" for pictures! Five items: a 6×8 canvas tarp, binoculars, box of matches (why not), wind breaker jacket, extra pair of boots!! I can confidently snare squirrels and rabbits, also skin and dress them. I can make fire, I'll be near enough water, tarp for keeping myself and possessions dry. Challenges: hurricanes, predators, and poisonous creatures! Having made hand axes I can now make spears!! The biggest challenge, actually having to do it, it's no longer practice!!

Going to start a list.
Fiskars X27 axe
A spool of obstetrical wire.
8"vise grip locking pliers.
lock blade knife/firestarter combo
30' square water proofed canvas tarp.

Okay here goes:

I choose a waterway, Small canoe, with paddles

My walk out clothes, include hat, waterproof hiking boots, denim long sleeve shirt, long fire-hose cargo pocket pants, belt and suspenders, vest, and all weather jacket.

My backpack (72 hour kit) currently includes 3 changes of clothes, boonie hat, rain gear, fire starter kit, a mess kit & canteen, water filtration kit, tent w ground cloth, sleeping bag, a 4 day supply of food, led flashlight, map & compass, pencil and small journal, bar soap, wash cloth, towel, lock blade knife w sharpening stone, multi-tool w belt carrier, hatchet, some para cord, sewing/tent repair kit, and a first-aid kit. It sometimes has a pack pole and small fishing kit.

Extra Cutting Item: Full size AX

5 Items:

1) 10# rice

2) 22 bolt action rifle & brick of ammo

3) real fishing kit w pole, line, hooks, and lures

4) Extra spool High Test >30# Fishing Line

5) Old BSA field book

I may be cheating but to me some things I consider to be an item (gun w ammo, fishing kit)

Going to start a list.
Fiskars X27 axe
I think you broke the rules of this armchair survivalist game. The rule allows only one cutting tool. You have an axe and a blade knife.

I think you broke the rules of this armchair survivalist game. The rule allows only one cutting tool. You have an axe and a blade knife.
Yep, But my 72 hour kit is always packed and it has most of what I would really need, the food gets changed out every 6 months, but the hatchet, knife, and leatherman are always in there. But if I going out I would want an Ax that I could fell a tree with....

Oops, I though you were saying I broke the rules, and I would have to agree with that I broke the intent of the rules, then again I usually find a way to bend the rules to the limit. :)

A Mccloud would be a handy tool n a sharpening file.
You can grub, chop small wood, cut fiber, level n stamp. Between a Mccloud n Pulaski ax ..I'd probably pick a Mccloud n file as a tool.
And one of the waterways around here with a hot spring in it..
A fishing pole kit..maybe..
I'll have to read the rules again..can I bring a cabin with everything in it n plop it by a hot spring ..thatd be nice..

You can have more than one cutting tool.Its just you were given a freebie cutting tool to start with.

@Tirediron Gun and ammo..all you can carry can be a single item.

Also watercraft and paddles are free if going that route.

Yall can be creative.....bundle items etc. but not elaborate though...i see fever done went with the Rv talk..i knew there be one in the crowd...lol

Keep this in mind you will be alone.

Going to start a list.
Fiskars X27 axe
OK changing the free lockblade firestarter to a center fire rifle, prolly 270 and a crapload of ammo, I am a strong SOB , so I can carry lots, at least if I could when was a little younger. 30 yards into the bush I will build a travois and lighten my load. until I get to the river where my boat is.

Okay here goes:

I choose a waterway, Small canoe, with paddles

My walk out clothes, include hat, waterproof hiking boots, denim long sleeve shirt, long fire-hose cargo pocket pants, belt and suspenders, vest, and all weather jacket.

My backpack (72 hour kit) currently includes 3 changes of clothes, boonie hat, rain gear, fire starter kit, a mess kit & canteen, water filtration kit, tent w ground cloth, sleeping bag, a 4 day supply of food, led flashlight, map & compass, pencil and small journal, bar soap, wash cloth, towel, lock blade knife w sharpening stone, multi-tool w belt carrier, hatchet, some para cord, sewing/tent repair kit, and a first-aid kit. It sometimes has a pack pole and small fishing kit.

Extra Cutting Item: Full size AX

5 Items:

1) 10# rice

2) 22 bolt action rifle & brick of ammo

3) real fishing kit w pole, line, hooks, and lures

4) Extra spool High Test >30# Fishing Line

5) Old BSA field book

I may be cheating but to me some things I consider to be an item (gun w ammo, fishing kit)
So, are you considering your well-stocked backpack as one item?

5 items?

0° bag
Gun/ammo
 Saw
Knife
cmetal canteen

Build a shelter- stay warm and hydrated- shoot something big... chill.
How are you going to stay warm.? I see nothing in your list for fire starting.....unless you plan to empty gunpowder from a cartridge and then, lighting the gunpowder by hitting the primer on the empty cartridge with your knife.

How are you going to stay warm.? I see nothing in your list for fire starting.....unless you plan to empty gunpowder from a cartridge and then, lighting the gunpowder by hitting the primer on the empty cartridge with your knife.
Why would he need something to start fire?

Latest posts

Back