Into The Wilds Challenge

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"BUCK" Nelson Took a "pressure canner", so he could have food when he could not gather food for some reason.

For a location: my choice would be at or near the mouth of a "Multi-Species" spawning stream in Southeast Alaska. My six months would start April 5'th.

I would poach deer, but mostly survive on the incredible bounty of Alaska ocean, and sea grasses.

@elkhound I'll slowly add to my list:
1) 10'X10" Arctic oven tent, and 12" steel nails for stakes.
2) A "WOODS four star or five star Sleeping "Robe" (They may have quite the 5-star production)
3) A 20 Ga. Drilling (30/06) "Regulated" for 75 years.
4) A pressure cooker pot (size to be determined later).
5)

There are a lot of articles on "Buck" Nelson, a current day survivalist.
https://ericnestor.com/exclusive-in...son-shares-his-top-10-wilderness-necessities/

Last edited:
I see where ya going. A pressure cooker is another underrated item.The only problem is i cant find a small version like i would want.

How are you going to stay warm.? I see nothing in your list for fire starting.....unless you plan to empty gunpowder from a cartridge and then, lighting the gunpowder by hitting the primer on the empty cartridge with your knife.
I'm adept at friction fire. Didn't want to waste an item on the ferro rod- I'll get more use out if the bag and sleep better which is extremely important.

Wardrobe will be a bunch of layers and of various materials.My pack will be a packframe with a foot and removable pack to use frame alone.The free knife will be my modified leatherman and i will take the free one gallon of water..not because of the water but for containers.Rules didnt say a single jug etc. just a gallon.So 2 Stanley thermoses one of regular type and second one the food thermos.Thats gets me roughly 2 quart point the other 2 quarts will be 2-1quart Nalgene bottles to carry water in while out from my camp.

1# Sleeping bag
2# Savage 24 in 22 Mag/20ga. with various ammo
3# BoB...no not a bug out bag..a bug out bucket with gamma seal lid. I made these years ago to have food that goes together to create meals from a single bucket instead of a bucket filled with single item.Also i done this so i can instantly see which bucket i am grabbing from closet in a rush as to know its not a 'storage bucket' of goods.I want this as much for bucket as its contents.Containers are hard to make in the wilds.I have a mess kit in it.
4#An elkhound or Laika dog.Security and their ability in hunting various critters.
5# Milk goat thats fresh.Get on average 3 quarts a day at 700 calories per quart.That gives me and dog 2100 calories right at our door step with little to no effort.

The place i am going is in the wilds and has a little shanty there and spring water so i dont have to waste time and energy/calories building a fire to get potable water.I want to eliminate as many time consuming and calorie consuming activity as i can.Theres a pulaski axe and saw waiting.

I will plant squash,radish and anything else to get fast harvest of green goods to keep regular and get a few easy calories in me.Use the pulaski axe like a hoe to do work.

Dog will alert me to anything and protect me and goat from bear,bobcat,coyote etc. coming into camp at night or day.Getting older its a way of gaining some advantage by use of well trained dog in daily survival.

Why thermoses? So i can cook one time daily and eat and fill them up with food and hotwater and have hours later and not need to build a fire and cook.Get back in camp at O'dark thirty and just eat and go to bed if need be. Milk goat morning and evening and drink the calories down between me and the dog.

p.s. Both goat and dog will have their own pack filled with dog food and sweet feed and or grain for goat. I use to use a Great Pyrenees for a pack dog back in the day.

I see where ya going. A pressure cooker is another underrated item.The only problem is i cant find a small version like i would want.
How small do you want......??? Three PINT......? or two quart.....? Two & half or three quarts. They are all available.

I'd do a canoe/paddle combo. Frame pack with what I keep loaded for any travels I take. Clothes include Good waterproof hiking boots, heavy duty pants, shirt, layers, socks, leather gloves, hat, bandana. Hatchet/sheath. Water in 3 containers, 2 quart bottles, one half gallon thermo jug with large mouth.

1) 10/22 breakdown/ammo
2) Fishing kit
3) Dutch Oven
4) Canvas tarp
5) Food, I like Elkhounds idea of a bucket of stuff. Beans and rice, seeds, etc Need to give this more thought.

My pack has some cordage, fixed blade knife, saw, compass, water purifier, and other goodies.

Wardrobe will be a bunch of layers and of various materials.My pack will be a packframe with a foot and removable pack to use frame alone.The free knife will be my modified leatherman and i will take the free one gallon of water..not because of the water but for containers.Rules didnt say a single jug etc. just a gallon.So 2 Stanley thermoses one of regular type and second one the food thermos.Thats gets me roughly 2 quart point the other 2 quarts will be 2-1quart Nalgene bottles to carry water in while out from my camp.

1# Sleeping bag
2# Savage 24 in 22 Mag/20ga. with various ammo
3# BoB...no not a bug out bag..a bug out bucket with gamma seal lid. I made these years ago to have food that goes together to create meals from a single bucket instead of a bucket filled with single item.Also i done this so i can instantly see which bucket i am grabbing from closet in a rush as to know its not a 'storage bucket' of goods.I want this as much for bucket as its contents.Containers are hard to make in the wilds.I have a mess kit in it.
4#An elkhound or Laika dog.Security and their ability in hunting various critters.
5# Milk goat thats fresh.Get on average 3 quarts a day at 700 calories per quart.That gives me and dog 2100 calories right at our door step with little to no effort.

The place i am going is in the wilds and has a little shanty there and spring water so i dont have to waste time and energy/calories building a fire to get potable water.I want to eliminate as many time consuming and calorie consuming activity as i can.Theres a pulaski axe and saw waiting.

I will plant squash,radish and anything else to get fast harvest of green goods to keep regular and get a few easy calories in me.Use the pulaski axe like a hoe to do work.

Dog will alert me to anything and protect me and goat from bear,bobcat,coyote etc. coming into camp at night or day.Getting older its a way of gaining some advantage by use of well trained dog in daily survival.

Why thermoses? So i can cook one time daily and eat and fill them up with food and hotwater and have hours later and not need to build a fire and cook.Get back in camp at O'dark thirty and just eat and go to bed if need be. Milk goat morning and evening and drink the calories down between me and the dog.

p.s. Both goat and dog will have their own pack filled with dog food and sweet feed and or grain for goat. I use to use a Great Pyrenees for a pack dog back in the day.
As much as I LOVE MY DOG, I want to feed no one but me and no one slowing me down! When I mentioned fleeing to a Mexican beach, I would be ALONE!

I think you broke the rules of this armchair survivalist game. The rule allows only one cutting tool. You have an axe and a blade knife.
My initial thought was to grab an axe instead of the knife/saw to save an item- that axe would of course be a tomahawk because a quality friction fit handle can be manufactured in the bush with nothing but the hawk head. That would bring my list down to 4 items- so for item #5 I asked myself what would i bring, and the next best tool would be a saw... but if I'm carrying a saw I'd prefer a knife to an axe- hence why my list is structured how it is.

Last edited:
I could vacation for years with what my pack horse will carry. It's only six months and during spring summer and fall.

When I was a kid in the bush, our neighbor over yonder
told us that if he could have only one tool, it would be an axe. He could provide all of his needs with just that. This exercise is repeating my childhood.

How small do you want......??? Three PINT......? or two quart.....? Two & half or three quarts. They are all available.
i have found ones as small as 1.5litres.But i dont like the design of them.Yes i am being picky.I even went down the road of building a proto type for one.

I could vacation for years with what my pack horse will carry. It's only six months and during spring summer and fall.

told us that if he could have only one tool, it would be an axe. He could provide all of his needs with just that. This exercise is repeating my childhood.
items #6 a good woman with pack mule with full set of panniers,herd of sheep/goats and a pair of border collies.

How do you do that? I've tried to make a fire using a bow drill and have never been successful.
There are subtleties to the skill that are not at all visually obvious or well explained. For example, material quality/selection plays a large role- which side of the bow's string the spindle sits in makes a difference- aswell as your body postion, the angles and techniques used to apply pressure make for more efficient friction- various methods of handholds/lubrication aswell as string grip etc all make a difference- spindle diameter/length vs. The material- length, bend and rigidity of the bow- tightness of the string- it all culminates to a good set, assuming the user has the skill to make the most of it and were still not even talking about fire plows or hand drills/pump drills which of course have their own idiosyncracies.

It's one of those things you have to master through experience- watching and reading about it online can give you ideas and things to try but you are going to find your own favorite methods which you find most effective based on your own physical abilities/limitations.

Keep at it! You'll get it.

items #6 a good woman with pack mule with full set of panniers,herd of sheep/goats and a pair of border collies.

No panniers. A pack saddle comes with 100' of rope and a water proof canvas tarp and since this is survival, there will be some pulleys and bug spray under my hat. I am old enough to use some strength multipliers to get things done. My horse tractor won't just haul stuff, it will drag loads, lift loads and can be eaten if I am stupid enough to let things get that far. At that point, I would more likely let the horse go and enjoy my last sun set.

You can keep the sheep, goats and border collies. They are just bear and coyote bait.

Axe
Swede saw
50 lbs salt
Dutch oven
Pack horse with pack rigging

No panniers. A pack saddle comes with 100' of rope and a water proof canvas tarp and since this is survival, there will be some pulleys and bug spray under my hat. I am old enough to use some strength multipliers to get things done. My horse tractor won't just haul stuff, it will drag loads, lift loads and can be eaten if I am stupid enough to let things get that far. At that point, I would more likely let the horse go and enjoy my last sun set.

You can keep the sheep, goats and border collies. They are just bear and coyote bait.
Would you explain to me what you plan on eating and how you will gather it please? I see no rifle,fishing kit,gillnet etc.

Also to others in thread the same question...whats your plan or strategy of feeding yourself..how you are going to do it and target said calories?

To be clear i would want just a regular size one to can with when targeting large halibut and deer/moose.I wanted one in a very small size to go in a pack thats light enough to carry and does multiple chores.

Would you explain to me what you plan on eating and how you will gather it please? I see no rifle,fishing kit,gillnet etc.

Also to others in thread the same question...whats your plan or strategy of feeding yourself..how you are going to do it and target said calories?
I posted that info. I am good at making snares from vines! I'll be dining on squirrel, rabbit and other small critters!

I don't plan on hunting much. In my early life I trapped a lot. I still trap some to keep fresh. I would like a long arm but I can lay up.more with traps. I had thought about cable snares but cable snares are generally a one time use then they are fubared. I have used natural cordage and that will work if it's a tip up or spring up. Most animals will chew through natural unless hoisted up. Now if I could find an old vacuum.cleaner or some suchlike. I would strip.out the copper wire and use that for rabbits, squirrels and birds. Most of my experience has been steel foothold but the last while have been dabbling with conibears. Conibears can catch turtle,fowl, fish and mammal. The upside it can be reused over and over

Last edited:
There is a reason that after decades of training, study, research, in 1968'ish I made my final decision that Alaska is the environment (overall) for survival.

There is beyond abundant food and pure fresh water there. Is it a location that pussy's or Special Snowflakes should choose......"HELL" No.

This is especially true, and consistently reliable from the ocean. There may be a other option, but for pure abundant food and abundant pure fresh water, you can't beat the west coast of Canada or Alaska.

WARNING: Candy'ass, sissy, wimpy, gonad 'less males should avoid Alaska as a survival choice.

For bewildering reasons that I have never understood, for some reason females can survive & thrive in the harshest coast of Canada & Alaska.

Last edited:
Where I am going is a slow 3 day walk into the back bush. I am not far as the crow flies, from where I grew up. I know where there is an old abandoned homestead on a meadow back in the bush. There is an old log cabin there that just needs a new roof. The area near it was logged around twenty years ago, and there are piles of logs just left on the side of the old dirt road. Lots of easy fire wood that is still useable.

Here the grouse are just sitting around waiting to be lunch. I used to just get them with a stick. I can do that again. The area is open cattle range. There is beef on the hoof everywhere. I can bribe an old cow/calf pair into my newly repaired scrap rail fence around the meadow. I would probably end up with more than I want.

There is a great lake for fishing an hours ride away and lots of line and tackle tangled up in the trees from failed casts. A little patience gets it free. I can build a raft to go out on the lake and not one of those sinkers they build on the Alone show. At the busiest of times, there are never more than a few people at this lake and they would know nothing about the old homestead or how to get there.

Where I am going is a slow 3 day walk into the back bush. I am not far as the crow flies, from where I grew up. I know where there is an old abandoned homestead on a meadow back in the bush. There is an old log cabin there that just needs a new roof. The area near it was logged around twenty years ago, and there are piles of logs just left on the side of the old dirt road. Lots of easy fire wood that is still useable.

Here the grouse are just sitting around waiting to be lunch. I used to just get them with a stick. I can do that again. The area is open cattle range. There is beef on the hoof everywhere. I can bribe an old cow/calf pair into my newly repaired scrap rail fence in the meadow.

There is a great lake for fishing an hours ride away and lots of line and tackle tangled up in the trees from failed casts. A little patience gets it free. I can build a raft to go out on the lake and not one of those sinkers they build on the Alone show. At the busiest of times, there are never more than a few people at this lake and they would know nothing about the old homestead or how to get there.
Where we live, the wild is right outside our doors. Everyday deer cross our yard. We often get huge flocks of turkeys in the yard. On average, we will get photos of a dozen different bears passing through the yard per summer. There are 10 lakes within 3 miles of our home, some having big patches of wild rice.

Does it count that people think that I am a Feral human anyway, so would I really need to go anywhere.

Latest posts

Back