Is Mossberg a quality shotgun?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my big brother was under sheriff for so many years, his department had about half Mossberg 500 and Remington 870... Both were good and served well..

There were people who could screw up either one or both.. I kept busy fixing both.. There was always some fool asking .....why does this keep doing that ??.... Of course my answer was ...because your an idiot... No matter how they didn't like that answer, my brother was still there boss...

Nothin' wrong with a Mossberg shotgun... it ain't one of those fancy European models, but it'll definitely do the job for home defense, especially with a shorter (possibly sawed-off) barrel and a tactical pistol grip, lol. :oops:

Nothin' wrong with a Mossberg shotgun... it ain't one of those fancy European models, but it'll definitely do the job for home defense, especially with a shorter (possibly sawed-off) barrel and a tactical pistol grip, lol. :oops:
What do you think about the "Bull Pup" style shotgun ?
I have looked at Bull pup shot gun & AR-15 SBR.

I like my Mossberg home defense shotgun. Recoil is relatively mild too - with about 58 lbs of spare ammo hanging off of it. You can never have too much ammo!

mossy500.jpg

I like my Mossberg home defense shotgun. Recoil is relatively mild too - with about 58 lbs of spare ammo hanging off of it. You can never have too much ammo!

View attachment 85505
You must shoot left handed.
I need to get an ammo carrier for the stock like yours.
The next time I go to the range I'm going to take my home defense shotgun and run a few rounds through it. I haven't shot in in a long time.

Good catch! But no. Ammo arranged on the buttstock simply to show it is there in the picture. Actually, it doesn't dig into the shooting shoulder all that much, I could shoot it like that in an emergency. But you are right - traditionally, the buttstock ammo holder would be on the other side of the stock for a right-hander.

I need to get an ammo carrier for the stock like yours.
The next time I go to the range I'm going to take my home defense shotgun and run a few rounds through it. I haven't shot in in a long time.
I want a 590 myself, I do shoot left handed, but its easily fixed with some velcro tape and a strip of closed cell foam.

Mossberg was my duty gun for 17 years. The one I got issued was a nail driver with slugs, even with a smooth bore. I never had any problem with mine, and very few other officers did either. Once and a while we would have a Mossberg fail miserably on the firing line, but it was extremely rare, and usually operator error. I have a Remington 870 as a personal gun, and once when I shot a passing dove, the gun fell apart into 12 pieces. I'm sure the same has happened to high-dollar Italian guns from time to time. In my opinion, Mossberg is generally a workhorse and generally a very good value for the money.

Despite the reviews, the Kel-Tek is junk, I've heard too much bad about them.
I disagree.
Don't walk in front of my KSG! :oops:
It slings 00B flawlessly! :thumbs:
21622-5de8d4e58f6db4ebd58d264041b81168.data

21621-976057065185c325b82a1192796a84aa.data

Last edited:
Must be like my RAS-AK, a handful of bad ones wrecked its reputation.
There is a page full of crap like this on Youtube.

Mine getting blown up.

A few crappy ones early on can wreck a reputation.

Must be like my RAS-AK, a handful of bad ones wrecked its reputation.
There is a page full of crap like this on Youtube.

Mine getting blown up.

A few crappy ones early on can wreck a reputation.

Watching guys "short-stroke" one and then complain about it, makes my blood boil! :mad: gaah
Yes, it is a lot shorter than conventional pumps, and you have to work it different.
I hand mine to folks and tell them: "shuck it like you're trying to break it :thumbs:".
Nobody ever had a problem with it.

Last edited:
My KSG had to go back to the factory before I fired my first round through it. I took it back to the FFL and he tried to argue with me. Three minutes with the gun and he said he'd send it off right away.

My KSG had to go back to the factory before I fired my first round through it. I took it back to the FFL and he tried to argue with me. Three minutes with the gun and he said he'd send it off right away.
Now tell the rest of the story: And after it came back, it ran like a clock.
They had tremendous demand and cranked them out the door as fast as they could and QC suffered. ☹️
...and don't forget to mention that it has a "Lifetime Warranty". :)
How many other things can you buy today that have that?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to put my foot in it. I get to work a range where there is a lot of shotgun slug hunting. What I see is a mix of good mid-range shotguns, mossberg's and 870's that seem to work day in and day out. I also see a lot of cheapo model pumps that have nothing but trouble. We also see a few of the bull pup arrangements and they seem to be a mixed bag, sometimes they work well but if they get dirty (bunch of rounds fired) they can become troublesome. The nice thing about the old 500's and 870's is they are relatively simple, everyone seems to understand them and most problems can be resolved on the line quickly. I have seen guys spend half their day trying to figure out "what happening" with some of the new designs....

Now tell the rest of the story: And after it came back, it ran like a clock.
They had tremendous demand and cranked them out the door as fast as they could and QC suffered. ☹️
...and don't forget to mention that it has a "Lifetime Warranty". :)
How many other things can you buy today that have that?
The rest of the story is that the S2K never has run right. It is a great gun to practice clearing drills with. I can count on two jams per magazine. I really like Kel-Tec designs and think them a great range toy but I wouldn't want to bet my life on one of them.

The rest of the story is that the S2K never has run right. It is a great gun to practice clearing drills with. I can count on two jams per magazine. I really like Kel-Tec designs and think them a great range toy but I wouldn't want to bet my life on one of them.
The S2K is a totally different story.
We were talking about your KSG. It still rocks?

The S2K is a totally different story.
We were talking about your KSG. It still rocks?
Glad you think so. After buying two Kel-Tec's that were bad out of the box I just won't trust them. I like the concepts and the unique design but I just will not trust my life with one. I want a couple other of his designs but I just can't talk myself into spending the money for a gun I'll never be able to rely on.

Sentry agreed with me on this, although I expect that Sentry would say that I agree with him.

Now back to Mossbergs.
Most people think of this:
50697_590_cruiser_6shot_ghxv29fodtexxkj1.jpg

Personally, I prefer something that is the same length, that holds more rounds, and that you can shoulder and aim. ...But that's just me.:rolleyes:
I will advocate for the Mossberg though: If you have nothing, it will clear the bad-guys out of your house.:thumbs:

My first firearm was a 500 and I received another one maybe three or four Christmas's back. Taken it squirrel and dove hunting and killed a couple coons with it as well. Plenty of target shooting too.

Now back to Mossbergs.
Most people think of this:
I got something like this hanging in the closet, with the magazine extension and a short rifled barrel. You can load it quick enough if something goes bump in the night. There is just something about the sound of one of these things going into battery that makes people rethink their life's choices. A 12 gauge with slugs, turkey/goose load, or buck shot will definitely wake you up.... with 1 in the chamber and 8 in the tube you can definitely clean house.
1671677575038.png

Latest posts

Back