Is prepping dead? or just prepping forums?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After rereading this thread, it became clear to me that everyone has a different idea what prepping is and what criteria is required to become a "prepper."

Back in the 70s we use to discuss in magazines, what made one a "homesteader."

I never heard the term "prepper" before the internet. I suspect it was started by some internet junkie wanting to start a movement. Back in the day when we stayed connected by magazine, letters, radio, and land line, being prepared was a daily discipline for country folks.

We talked about small scale hay harvesting for small operations, growing and grinding your own grains, having a supply of firewood for winter, blacksmithing, spinning, quilting, tanning hides, sawing lumber, gardening, drying and canning, etc. We did repurposing before it was popular. We made our own musical instruments, water wheels, turbo hydro pumps, hand dug septic tanks, made wind generators, made firearms and knives, mined gold, etc.

One of the high lights of my young life was becoming friends with Sylvan Hart known as Buckskin Bill that lived as close to being self sufficient as possible. There is a book about him, "The Last of The Mountain Men." by Harold Peterson.

Many an expert modern day "prepper" might learn a thing or two by reading that book.

I joined a few forums years ago where I had hoped to share my experiences. This forum is my last stand participating on forums, since other forums are full of jealous, self righteous, low achieving folks that have discounted my experiences and accused me of coping off the internet.

Country living that focuses more on self than others requiring preparedness, is still alive, but I think the "prepper" movement, many times urban based, with its narrow scope and ego centered idealisms, is dying.

Paraphrasing JFK, "Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for yourself," is the key to understanding what semi self sufficient country living, I.E., "homesteading" really is.

How far does prepping extend?
Scenario
Saturday morning the lawn mower refuses to start
What do yo do?
Try again, still nothing but a click
Do you
A- load it up and take to a repair shop?
B- open the hood and roll your sleeves up
C- go buy another

You decide to take a look for yourself
Upon inspection you find a broken weld on the motor mount
Do you

A-Load it up and drive to a repair shop
B- drag the welding hood out
C- go buy a new one

The obvious answer to ME, is B on both questions prepping is not JUST planting a row of beans
Prepping is having the skill, knowledge and yes Tools. To be independent of society
Edited
They do not teach this **** in school
If you want to know how to weld, go get a welder and learn

But for 99% of the members, a quick question which should be answered is:

If you lost your water source for one month, would you be OK, or hurting?

Anything other than OK, I hope the member considers taking action.

This is really not prepping, but simply survival.

This is one of the reasons I believe so much in this forum.
In my opinion, "Water" will be the primary, direct or indirect cause of death in any type SHTF, especially any event that takes out "ALL" or part of electric grid. This is key to grasping my signature line.

The "water" issue is nearly 100% directly adjoined to location, that location, someone prays will be OK.

I often preach about the distinction between "PRE-1980" prepping theory vs. Post 1979 theory.

This understanding is fundamental to a solid foundation, of a well planned prepping/survival plan.

I am not a prepper.
At my age I will not survive a total and permanent collapse very long. Months at the most.
Most people are in the same boat. Maybe not some people on here but the population overall.
The ones that will survive are the ones living like the collapse has already happened.
This is 100% true. I am prepared for maybe 6 months of living mostly on my own. The true preppers would laugh at the absurdity of that. I should be on a 100 acre homestead in the middle of nowhere. Growing my own wheat. Raising my own goats. Drilling my own drinking water wells. Building my own septic tank and leech field. And I agree - if I had any desire to live for years and years in the post-apocalypse, that is exactly what I would need to do.

So I don't consider myself a true prepper. I'm just someone who is prepared for emergencies where things will eventually return to near-normal. If society collapses, I will collapse with it (after those 6 months of supplies have run out and any hopeful thoughts that things might get better have been extinguished). My food during the SHTF period will come out of cans, not by me slaughtering one of my goats. And that's what I want. That is the level of preparedness that I am comfortable with.

Liberals use the rear entrance, please. Lefties make up, near as I can estimate, about twenty percent of people interested in prepping, but the percentage of them on prepping websites is much lower. Not surprising, read the signatures of many people here; if you get someone who votes for progressive causes and progressive politicians, they're going to feel, well, uncomfortable.
Yes, I think this was part of it. I remember in the good old days when everyone was prepping for 'zombies'.....which everyone knew was coded language for whatever demographic you think is currently ruining the country. Zombie prepping allowed everyone talk about prepping together, even if what they where preparing for was to fight each other.

Then pretty much in 2020....it became straight up prepping for the civil war against the Democrats. No punches pulled.

And some may argue...but that is when 'we' lost most of the doctors, engineers, scientists etc from the prepping community

Last edited:
Yes, I think this was part of it. I remember in the good old days when everyone was prepping for 'zombies'.....which everyone knew was coded language for whatever demographic you think is currently ruining the country. Zombie prepping allowed everyone talk about prepping together, even if what they where preparing for was to fight each other.

Then pretty much in 2020....it became straight up prepping for the civil war against the Democrats. No punches pulled.

And some may argue...but that is when 'we' lost most of the doctors, engineers, scientists etc from the prepping community
And do the people mentioned in the last sentence really know what they are doing in a prep type world, IE live by subsistance farming, actually build and fix stuff.

And do the people mentioned in the last sentence really know what they are doing in a prep type world, IE live by subsistance farming, actually build and fix stuff.

No, But.....

and its a big 'but'

They know the technical details that are VERY important when trying to survive in a prep type world.

They won't know, or think of, building an off grid water storage tank filled by a hydraulic ram pump, but they know how actually purify that water, not just what the heard someone did once...they know the thermodynamics of how a ramp pump can be gravity fed, yet pump water 10 times higher than the water source was.

It's impossible to do anything in prepping except just buying food buckets without a background in science.

Experience is great, but when something happens outside your experience, its science that let's you invent new solutions.

Unless you know the fundamental rules that reality operates by, prepping becomes just a cargo cult. (Cargo cults where started on Pacific islands by primitive tribes who saw airplanes, tanks, etc for the first time during WWII and built replicas out of wood and grass with no idea how they actually worked)

No, But.....

and its a big 'but'

They know the technical details that are VERY important when trying to survive in a prep type world.

They won't know, or think of, building an off grid water storage tank filled by a hydraulic ram pump, but they know how actually purify that water, not just what the heard someone did once...they know the thermodynamics of how a ramp pump can be gravity fed, yet pump water 10 times higher than the water source was.

It's impossible to do anything in prepping except just buying food buckets without a background in science.

Experience is great, but when something happens outside your experience, its science that let's you invent new solutions.

Unless you know the fundamental rules that reality operates by, prepping becomes just a cargo cult. (Cargo cults where started on Pacific islands by primitive tribes who saw airplanes, tanks, etc for the first time during WWII and built replicas out of wood and grass with no idea how they actually worked)
I will agree with your premise , but Not real sure that a lot of the current book science is very close to accurate, The doctors don't know much except trauma,

After rereading this thread, it became clear to me that everyone has a different idea what prepping is and what criteria is required to become a "prepper."

I never heard the term "prepper" before the internet. I suspect it was started by some internet junkie wanting to start a movement. Back in the day when we stayed connected by magazine, letters, radio, and land line, being prepared was a daily discipline for country folks.

We talked about small scale hay harvesting for small operations, growing and grinding your own grains, having a supply of firewood for winter, blacksmithing, spinning, quilting, tanning hides, sawing lumber, gardening, drying and canning, etc. We did repurposing before it was popular. We made our own musical instruments, water wheels, turbo hydro pumps, hand dug septic tanks, made wind generators, made firearms and knives, mined gold, etc.

One of the high lights of my young life was becoming friends with Sylvan Hart known as Buckskin Bill that lived as close to being self sufficient as possible. There is a book about him, "The Last of The Mountain Men." by Harold Peterson.

Many an expert modern day "prepper" might learn a thing or two by reading that book.

I joined a few forums years ago where I had hoped to share my experiences. This forum is my last stand participating on forums, since other forums are full of jealous, self righteous, low achieving folks that have discounted my experiences and accused me of coping off the internet.

Country living that focuses more on self than others requiring preparedness, is still alive, but I think the "prepper" movement, many times urban based, with its narrow scope and ego centered idealisms, is dying.

Paraphrasing JFK, "Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for yourself," is the key to understanding what semi self sufficient country living, I.E., "homesteading" really is.
You knew Buckskin Bill?! Fascinating individual. Have been to his place - pretty fun. He ate a lot of squash.
I agree Prepper has multiple definitions. I have been called crunchy, granola, prepper, & who knows what else. I just think living a more "old-fashioned" lifestyle is healthier and renders better odds if SHTF.

In my opinion, "Water" will be the primary, direct or indirect cause of death in any type SHTF, especially any event that takes out "ALL" or part of electric grid. This is key to grasping my signature line.

The "water" issue is nearly 100% directly adjoined to location, that location, someone prays will be OK.

I often preach about the distinction between "PRE-1980" prepping theory vs. Post 1979 theory.

This understanding is fundamental to a solid foundation, of a well planned prepping/survival plan.
Water is our lifeblood. I agree re. the grid. Did you ever see that movie - can't even remember the name of it with Diane Keaton where she buys an old house and the well went dry. The guy tells her that and she replies, "Oh good, I have a hose on the house. We can just fill it up." 😂 The really sad part is that is the intelligence level of a good portion of our population not just concerning water but all necessities.

@Frodo re. your fix it scenarios: I don't really think any of us can do it all - maybe I'm wrong, but this is where a small versatile community is valuable. I do believe in community but have seen/experienced is less and less through the years.
(If you look back in history, there was a baker, a butcher, a cobbler, a candlemaker, a tailor etc. One of each supporting one another in those specialty areas but each providing the basics for themselves.)

If preppers would focus on the "ENTIRE" basic SHTF priority list (as opposed to intentionally avoiding key things like "water" or "location"). They would cover the widest range of SHTF events.

Last edited:
I think when the SHTF, this will be the order of die-offs:

The unprepared
The prepared
The preppers
The tribes of Africa
The undiscovered tribes in the Amazon rain forest

The unprepared will be gone in weeks. The prepared will be gone in months. The preppers will be gone in a year. The African tribes will be gone in two years, but with great variability of this timeframe, since many of them are dependent on aid sent in from more prosperous regions, and that aid will have disappeared. The more dependent Africans will die off earlier, alongside the preppers. The tribes in the Amazon will still not realize that anything even happened five years after the event. They may never know, and continue on unimpeded forever.

In a true apocalypse, where things never get better and stay at the SHTF stage forever, it doesn't really make much difference which of the four early die-off groups you are in. You've only got a few months over the group that died-off before your group. Especially so if you have topped 50 years of life thus far. Not worth a ton of effort to move between groups when we're only talking a little over a year of difference. It does make a difference which group you are in if things improve over time and civilization is not gone for good. But if things don't improve, you better hope you are living an isolated bare sustenance life in the middle of the Amazon rain forest with a family tribe, which you aren't if you are posting here on this forum. And you probably wouldn't live much past 50 in that scenario anyway. That's why elders are held in such high regard there. Because there aren't many of them. Compared to here, where there are a ton of elders, but they are basically throw out with the trash.

I am now one of the worst possible members of any (actual) survival group. Sad that is for me to acknowledge to myself.

Pathetic and as useless as I have become, I would survive longer going it alone.

Any group formed post SHTF, will contain roughly 85 to 90 percent of useless humans. And it could actually be much higher.

My single best survival reality check is always going into Walmart or any large gathering of humans.

I just think living a more "old-fashioned" lifestyle is healthier and renders better odds if SHTF.
This is actually my core belief as well.

Of course, old fashioned and lifestyle vary a lot through history.

Currently I'm pretty into 15th century Bohemia.

You have any pictures of Sylvan you could post?

I am now one of the worst possible members of any (actual) survival group. Sad that is for me to acknowledge to myself.

Pathetic and as useless as I have become, I would survive longer going it alone.

Any group formed post SHTF, will contain roughly 85 to 90 percent of useless humans. And it could actually be much higher.

My single best survival reality check is always going into Walmart or any large gathering of humans.
Don't cut yourself short. If you're who I think you are, your skills (and possible possessions) will outweigh all of those 85-90 percent. Any REAL group will know what you bring to the table and will cherish you being there.
That said, I may be in the same boat. I know I have more knowledge (and possessions) related to "living" than 85-90% of the populace but they may just swarm me, take my stuff and shoot me.

I think when the SHTF, this will be the order of die-offs:

The unprepared
The prepared
The preppers
The tribes of Africa
The undiscovered tribes in the Amazon rain forest
I will bet good money on the "totally" unprepared if as I suspect is true, that on average they are much younger, less obese, more obsessed with themselves (have lower "social" morals) compared to the prepped.

I will bet good money on the "totally" unprepared if as I suspect is true, that on average they are much younger, less obese, more obsessed with themselves (have lower "social" morals) compared to the prepped.
Yep.
  1. There are a lot more of them.......so even after application of a big cull percentage,,,,,plenty will still make it
  2. They will dump their morals a lot faster than many preppers.......mostly because that will be one of the few options (or even arguably the only option) available to them. That will give them quite an edge.

They will dump their morals a lot faster than many preppers.......mostly because that will be one of the few options (or even arguably the only option) available to them. That will give them quite an edge.
Indeed. A weakness of ours, is that we imagine ourselves the hero of the story. And have worked very hard to make it so that we will be.

And we will hold unto that longer than those who never thought about it before.

husband and self both used to be engineers ( I was a PE) , and I am going to say this: if you have enough intelligence and education in the right fields ( NOT "woke studies " or some crap) you can learn really fast. My husband learned to do mechanical things and installed electric fencing and our solar panels ( he was an electrical engineer) and I sort of redesigned our spring intake ( the entire neighborhood hooked to it helped, this was some years ago when the water kept being dirty all the time, fun too, I directed a bunch of Amish guys what to do LOL but it worked and they didn't complain)
We were also smart enough to take some classes to learn how to take care of the livestock and now OUR goats are doing well while a lot of our Amish ( and some other) neighbors have pretty much given up on the goats since they can't seem to take care of them well enough to keep them alive.....
So on the risk of sounding like a know it all, this did have to be said. Most professionals are not stupid morons that can't learn anything . Also many professionals are NOT liberals either. We are not

But we are not good with fixing equipment. It's not so much that we can't learn, but we don't WANT to do it.

Latest posts

Back