Is prepping dead? or just prepping forums?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husband and self both used to be engineers ( I was a PE) , and I am going to say this: if you have enough intelligence and education in the right fields ( NOT "woke studies " or some crap) you can learn really fast. My husband learned to do mechanical things and installed electric fencing and our solar panels ( he was an electrical engineer) and I sort of redesigned our spring intake ( the entire neighborhood hooked to it helped, this was some years ago when the water kept being dirty all the time, fun too, I directed a bunch of Amish guys what to do LOL but it worked and they didn't complain)
We were also smart enough to take some classes to learn how to take care of the livestock and now OUR goats are doing well while a lot of our Amish ( and some other) neighbors have pretty much given up on the goats since they can't seem to take care of them well enough to keep them alive.....
So on the risk of sounding like a know it all, this did have to be said. Most professionals are not stupid morons that can't learn anything . Also many professionals are NOT liberals either. We are not

But we are not good with fixing equipment. It's not so much that we can't learn, but we don't WANT to do it.
I have a saying, "Inexperience is ok, Ignorance is not"!!! Anyone who WANTS to do something (especially animal related) should LEARN if they don't know!! One can excel at anything one wants to do if they will learn to do it properly!!!

You knew Buckskin Bill?! Fascinating individual. Have been to his place - pretty fun. He ate a lot of squash.
I agree Prepper has multiple definitions. I have been called crunchy, granola, prepper, & who knows what else. I just think living a more "old-fashioned" lifestyle is healthier and renders better odds if SHTF.
Yep, I knew him. I had many letter from him on how he did things like stitch his buckskins with parachute cord. Also contrary to what many believe, he tanned his hides with sulfuric acid. He said a brain tan wouldn't last.

@randyt I have no photos that I care to share on a public forum. The Peterson book is filled with great photos. I do have letters from him, one I will share.

Here is one of many letters, I have, he wrote with his quill pen and homemade green ink.

IMG_7509.JPG

Last edited:
If you want to know what the kit
husband and self both used to be engineers ( I was a PE) , and I am going to say this: if you have enough intelligence and education in the right fields ( NOT "woke studies " or some crap) you can learn really fast. My husband learned to do mechanical things and installed electric fencing and our solar panels ( he was an electrical engineer) and I sort of redesigned our spring intake ( the entire neighborhood hooked to it helped, this was some years ago when the water kept being dirty all the time, fun too, I directed a bunch of Amish guys what to do LOL but it worked and they didn't complain)
We were also smart enough to take some classes to learn how to take care of the livestock and now OUR goats are doing well while a lot of our Amish ( and some other) neighbors have pretty much given up on the goats since they can't seem to take care of them well enough to keep them alive.....
So on the risk of sounding like a know it all, this did have to be said. Most professionals are not stupid morons that can't learn anything . Also many professionals are NOT liberals either. We are not

But we are not good with fixing equipment. It's not so much that we can't learn, but we don't WANT to do it.
lol
I feel you. There are things that I am not going to do , like roofing or hanging Sheetrock . Have done both enough to say, you do it, I’ll pay

A class room setting education will teach you the basic skills and correct direction to turn a screwdriver
The education happens late at nite as you open tbe case of a space heater

Peer inside and are confused

Then you hear a voice from far far away….some damn dude named Frodo yelling for you to disable the safety diodes….

I will bet good money on the "totally" unprepared if as I suspect is true, that on average they are much younger, less obese, more obsessed with themselves (have lower "social" morals) compared to the prepped.
You make a good point about the putative "unprepareds" having an advantage due to both their physical and moral attributes. However, I think -- at least after a couple of weeks, a desperate mid-level account will kill you to feed his wife and kid, just as the gang-banger might.

This is the reason why, when it came time to move, we used the following as "gotta haves" (all the rest are "nice if we could have them"):

• A homestead we could afford to buy and improve as needed;
  • An uninterrupted source of potable water;
  • Sunlight;
  • Reasonably good soil;
  • Rural environment;
  • Good neighbors (but not too many).
I believe that Dawn and I (like the vast majority of people both on Earth and this forum) would not be able to survive a major infrastructure collapse more than six months or so by ourselves. We chose to meet with our neighbors, starting by saying "hi" and leading on to more personal questions ("Dawn and I are from the Big City and are completely ignorant of farming, raising non-pet animals, or gardening; we hope we can count on you for advice if we get stuck".)

It didn't work.

Within two days of moving in, six or seven men whom I'd never seen showed up at our front door, got into the moving van, and within three hours we had a furnished two-story house, three phone numbers, and an invitation to dinner the next day. Jackpot!

I knew who these people were; I'd moved from the state with the third-largest percentage of LDS people to the state with the second-largest percentage of LDS people. The interesting thing is that Mormons are known for their proselytizing but, aside from an invitation now and then to come to church for a social occasion (which we accepted), never tried to convert us. (I had a guy come over who said he'd heard at church that I knew how to install a trigger in a pop-gun and could I help him?) After six years we all have each others' backs; and I have as many calls for help from them that they do from me.

Now I don't have any problem with people who want to go away and hide by themselves up on an uninhabited mountain somewhere with a barbed-wire fence, machine-gun towers, and an ear-splitting alarm which wakes them at oh dark thirty if the wind blows something over. They'll probably die, if not from starvation, then from an infection the got snagging their finger on the fence.

OTOH, most of my neighbors -- in addition to having quite large families -- have a year's supply of food and water, are armed to the teeth, and are willing to go out of their way to help a neighbor who's willing to help back if needed. None of us have machine guns.

I think that's one thing, despite my advancing years, which will enable me to have a better chance of pulling through when-and-if Hard Times come in our lifetimes.

You make a good point about the putative "unprepareds" having an advantage due to both their physical and moral attributes. However, I think -- at least after a couple of weeks, a desperate mid-level account will kill you to feed his wife and kid, just as the gang-banger might.

This is the reason why, when it came time to move, we used the following as "gotta haves" (all the rest are "nice if we could have them"):

• A homestead we could afford to buy and improve as needed;
  • An uninterrupted source of potable water;
  • Sunlight;
  • Reasonably good soil;
  • Rural environment;
  • Good neighbors (but not too many).
I believe that Dawn and I (like the vast majority of people both on Earth and this forum) would not be able to survive a major infrastructure collapse more than six months or so by ourselves. We chose to meet with our neighbors, starting by saying "hi" and leading on to more personal questions ("Dawn and I are from the Big City and are completely ignorant of farming, raising non-pet animals, or gardening; we hope we can count on you for advice if we get stuck".)

It didn't work.

Within two days of moving in, six or seven men whom I'd never seen showed up at our front door, got into the moving van, and within three hours we had a furnished two-story house, three phone numbers, and an invitation to dinner the next day. Jackpot!

I knew who these people were; I'd moved from the state with the third-largest percentage of LDS people to the state with the second-largest percentage of LDS people. The interesting thing is that Mormons are known for their proselytizing but, aside from an invitation now and then to come to church for a social occasion (which we accepted), never tried to convert us. (I had a guy come over who said he'd heard at church that I knew how to install a trigger in a pop-gun and could I help him?) After six years we all have each others' backs; and I have as many calls for help from them that they do from me.

Now I don't have any problem with people who want to go away and hide by themselves up on an uninhabited mountain somewhere with a barbed-wire fence, machine-gun towers, and an ear-splitting alarm which wakes them at oh dark thirty if the wind blows something over. They'll probably die, if not from starvation, then from an infection the got snagging their finger on the fence.

OTOH, most of my neighbors -- in addition to having quite large families -- have a year's supply of food and water, are armed to the teeth, and are willing to go out of their way to help a neighbor who's willing to help back if needed.

None of us have machine guns.
Hmmmmm? Is this a plea to learn how to bump fire a semiauto?

WOWSER!! Tax stamp and minimum 15k

Yep, I knew him. I had many letter from him on how he did things like stitch his buckskins with parachute cord. Also contrary to what many believe, he tanned his hides with sulfuric acid. He said a brain tan wouldn't last.

@randyt I have no photos that I care to share on a public forum. The Peterson book is filled with great photos. I do have letters from him, one I will share.

Here is one of many letters, I have, he wrote with his quill pen and homemade green ink.

View attachment 124554
That's awesome. Funny that he says his place is not hard to find. Can only get there via boat or foot.

I have never owned a firearm in my life and never will, because the Police will protect me, the Government is my friend, and besides, guns kill people.

I used to have three guitars, a 5-string banjo, and a Gibson F5 clone mandolin, but I lost all of them in a tragic boating accident.

it's worse than that, there are .gov drones flying around and unless you have a RPG or something, there is nothing you can do about them dropping bombs on you or whatever.
Even little tiny drones can drop like a granade on you

My opinion of what may happen

To me, the why will be very important
If know, if due to political reasons. Nothing I say is true. It is going to be bloody and brutal

If it is due to a planetary event, still going to be dangerous but that will not be here for a couple of weeks
I have never owned a firearm in my life and never will, because the Police will protect me, the Government is my friend, and besides, guns kill people.

I used to have three guitars, a 5-string banjo, and a Gibson F5 clone mandolin, but I lost all of them in a tragic boating accident.

Wow, do you really belief that!

One by one
because the Police will protect me,
Really?
Simple scenario
At a read light a man with a club takes your car

The man is gone befote the police were called. All the police do is have you fill out correct paper work

the Government is my friend,
Lol lol. Ok man, I believe in Peterpan

and besides, guns kill people.
Really? Do they do this at a special time?

My opinion of what may happen

To me, the why will be very important
If know, if due to political reasons. Nothing I say is true. It is going to be bloody and brutal

If it is due to a planetary event, still going to be dangerous but that will not be here for a couple of weeks

Wow, do you really belief that!
dude, he is KIDDING LOL

it's worse than that, there are .gov drones flying around and unless you have a RPG or something, there is nothing you can do about them dropping bombs on you or whatever.
Even little tiny drones can drop like a granade on you
Wow that’s trippy. Do they have personal programmable Granade’s.
Cause what do you think the public would do if a Granade was dropped on jimmie in the grocery store check out line?

Drones do not work in a populated area

Interesting stats I heard today. 50 percent of teenagers are obese ozemipc is recommended for these kids for life. 10 percent of food stamps go to soda drinks. I have heard military fitness standards have been relaxed.
Military has relaxed physical standards as well as cognitive/intellectual standards :confused:

I had not heard that specifically about teenagers. Sadly it's no longer just overweight which used to be up to 30 lbs overweight. Obese is more than 30 lbs over weight. Poor things don't even know any different. Raised on McDs and bugjuice.

That's awesome. Funny that he says his place is not hard to find. Can only get there via boat or foot.
While the river trip is challenging, one can't miss 5 Mile Bar. By foot, the path from 5 Mile Bar to Burgdrof was well marked if one knew the landmarks. He went to Burgdrof several times a year. There is a 30 mile road from McCall to Burgdrof that takes an hour or more to drive.

I wonder since he died in 1980, if the trail he used from Burgdrof to 5 Mile is still kept up? The only thing I see advertised is the river trips.

While the river trip is challenging, one can't miss 5 Mile Bar. By foot, the path from 5 Mile Bar to Burgdrof was well marked if one knew the landmarks. He went to Burgdrof several times a year. There is a 30 mile road from McCall to Burgdrof that takes an hour or more to drive.

I wonder since he died in 1980, if the trail he used from Burgdrof to 5 Mile is still kept up? The only thing I see advertised is the river trips.
I don't know about the trail. We went privately on a boat with some friends who have a place out there. I do know there is a trail from Dixie down but don't know which trails are open/used and where they end up on that fork.
That's so cool you have letters. What knowledge and what treasures.

I’ve never really thought of myself as a committed prepper. Having grown up on a fairly poor farm, been in the military, and worked in the woods my whole life, it just happened. I see the value in being able to take care of and provide for my family, neighbors, and friends. Being more focused on small community gives me a better sense of being prepared for what life throws at our family. I make sure my kids know how to make, grow, and preserve food. We try to learn new skills constantly. We spend lots of time with our neighbors and family learning from them. My little dead end street has a retired millwright, a cabinet maker, a competition rifle guy with reloading skills, a nurse, an electrician, a crazy engineer with mad green thumb skills in the garden. I can’t know all and do all but I darn well know someone within walking distance that does. If SHTF happens, I believe we will do just fine. Circle the wagons is the real skill. Being able to ask for and give help is the real way to be prepared. Forums are a great way to expand your knowledge, but real life people are how you survive!

Where is the lol and the smiley thinggys

The internet has rules that must be followed. Jokes are tagged with a lol

Sarcasm is /sarc
Protocol man protocol!!!!!!!😂
Homie don't play protocol, Fro. Could you imagine slapping a "[sarc][/sarc]" to the writings of Juvenal, Voltaire, or Mark Twain? Of course, I'm not in the same league as those guys, but I'm trying (in both meanings). Anyway, I should come up with a macro to put the "sarc" business on my selected works, since you're not the only colleague I've inadvertently messed with,

But you're right; I was being sarcastic. It's all good.

Homie don't play protocol, Fro. Could you imagine slapping a "[sarc][/sarc]" to the writings of Juvenal, Voltaire, or Mark Twain? Of course, I'm not in the same league as those guys, but I'm trying (in both meanings). Anyway, I should come up with a macro to put the "sarc" business on my selected works, since you're not the only colleague I've inadvertently messed with,

But you're right; I was being sarcastic. It's all good.
It is all good
I stay lost and fogged in because I misread the meaning or attitude behind some posts. It is very hard for me, to pick up on finely nuanced wording

That's a great skill to learn if you have excess ammo that you need to get rid of without fear of hitting anything.
I was at one of our club meet and greets
And the son of one of my Brothers was plinking with an AR. I taught him to bump fire, his Dad was bitching about it a week later because the boy was burning ammo up. Lol. Oh the pain of parenting!!!!

This is the only prepping forum I support & the other two I have visited, email me at least once a year asking for money.
But I do not have time for them & doing my prepping, so no visited, no money.
I have thing to do & sitting around jumping from site to site is not on my to do list.
So four forums will live or die without me, because I get all the information I need here.
I might be prejudice, but I think this forum has a better class of people.

This is the only prepping forum I support & the other two I have visited, email me at least once a year asking for money.
But I do not have time for them & doing my prepping, so no visited, no money.
I have thing to do & sitting around jumping from site to site is not on my to do list.
So four forums will live or die without me, because I get all the information I need here.
I might be prejudice, but I think this forum has a better class of people.
That brings up a good point J. Perhaps many(?) of the folks who have been on forums across the board have come to the conclusion that it’s go time and they need to start doing rather than just typing/talking. One can hope right?

That brings up a good point J. Perhaps many(?) of the folks who have been on forums across the board have come to the conclusion that it’s go time and they need to start doing rather than just typing/talking. One can hope right?
And to continue your point, think of the people that were completely 'un-prepped', that came to the forum, read stuff every day for 3 years, and got themselves prepped to the Max. Why would they hang around after that?
...Besides our adorable personality:heart:.

Latest posts

Back