Just curious...do you carry cash, or plastic only?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to have enough cash to buy a tank of gas AND a basket of groceries.

The internet went down in a community I lived in. We were at a friends house and she and her daughter were complaining about not being able to buy food because the cards wouldn't work and the cash machine was down. they believed the problem should have been anticipated by the store and preparations made by them. The wife and I just looked at each other and kept our mouths shut. We didn't want to say anything about how stupid they were because they would be knocking on our door next time.

I always keep about $100 in my pocket, but use credit cards for everything. I guess the money is for emergencies only.

How about you?
+1
...Except I only carry $65 in cash because I'm not 'wealthy' like you. :(
;)

I want to have enough cash to buy a tank of gas AND a basket of groceries.

The internet went down in a community I lived in. We were at a friends house and she and her daughter were complaining about not being able to buy food because the cards wouldn't work and the cash machine was down. they believed the problem should have been anticipated by the store and preparations made by them. The wife and I just looked at each other and kept our mouths shut. We didn't want to say anything about how stupid they were because they would be knocking on our door next time.
...They wouldn't last very long in 'hurricane-land'.:rolleyes:

...They wouldn't last very long in 'hurricane-land'.:rolleyes:
Liberals, both of them. The young one was talking about a guy she worked with that had a bunch of preps. "That's where I'm going if things go bad," she said. I thought something similar to the old hippie adage, "gas, ass, or grass, nobody rides for free." Again, kept my mouth shut. You all know how hard that was for me.

I had better top my wallet off, thanks for reminding me.

I carry both, and probably carry more cash than I should. I have always carried a money clip, and usually have $100.00 in it. I also have a zippered pocket in my wallet where I keep an emergency stash. I don't use plastic very often, but I do carry one credit card.

I remember old-OLD Alaska, when the old timers (likely born in late 1800's) carried "ROLLS" of hundreds. Talking $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 in cash. That would be like $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 cash today.

They lived in the old hotels, not houses. They owned no vehicles. I was working at a men's clothing store that specialized in deep inventory of "FILSON" brand clothing. That was all they wore. They wore "pinks or greens". That was a wonderful time to be a young man in Alaska.

It soon went down the toilet with the pipeline construction. But, for me to have experienced that was (off the chart) priceless.

Last edited:
Most women don’t carry a man-type wallet but I can’t figure out how so many of the younger generations of women function. They’re carrying no handbag, no purse, I see no bulging pockets.
I carry both, cash when I can, always have my card; more often forget about carrying cash but I still have it.
Different topic, What about identification? I thought it was a law to have identification on yourself when out and about. Amazing how many people do not, they leave it in their cars or at home. ?

I carry plastic and cash. Cash is used to purchase things I'd rather didn't have an electronic trail attached.

Most women don’t carry a man-type wallet but I can’t figure out how so many of the younger generations of women function. They’re carrying no handbag, no purse, I see no bulging pockets.
I carry both, cash when I can, always have my card; more often forget about carrying cash but I still have it.
Different topic, What about identification? I thought it was a law to have identification on yourself when out and about. Amazing how many people do not, they leave it in their cars or at home. ?
I have a slim wallet case for my phone, so no purse for me Patch. I have my DL, one card, and some cash in it! The case closes fully and I have a simple snap hook so I can hook it on my front belt loop!

A bit off topic, but possibly something to consider if you might have older bills. At the register at a store at the mall was a sign stating that no larger bills from before 2012? would be accepted, as they don’t have the ‘safety’ strip on them. I don’t shop much so I don’t know if this is a thing.

Years ago I heard stories that the new bills could be ‘found’. Is it possible to put something into bills to make them trackable, so that someone near you can tell if you have cash on you?

A bit off topic, but possibly something to consider if you might have older bills.

This is a true story, I swear. I was in my bank where I have had several accounts for 40+ years. I was making a cash deposit with a very young female teller. She called the manager over because I had an old twenty dollar bill. Remember this one?

1707666216592.png

She didn't think it was real. The change was made to the larger portrait in 1996!! True story.

Last edited:
Remember this one? ... The change was made to the larger portrait in 1996!!
You mean they don't look like that any more? Mine does. This twenty I keep in my wallet for backup was probably put there before 1996, so I didn't realize that the bills had changed. I have seen bills with metallic looking stripes on them, but I thought they were all larger denominations than twentys. Every few years I check on my twenty to make sure it hasn't rotted. So far, so good.

Both cash and debit card.
But I only keep $20 to $30 in my wallet at any given time.
I’m constantly saving money from my part time job to go for the next 5th Infantry Division reunion. I have to keep tight control on what I spend beyond gas for my truck.
I’ll easily spend $2,000 for the annual reunion trip, and having always been the working poor that is a huge amount of money for me.

I keep both. For a while, before I got a Venmo account, I was paid by check or cash from my clients. I built up quite a bit of cash when I was being paid that way. I rarely pay with cash, but like having it in case of emergencies. I have ones, fives, tens, twenties and hundreds.

I have a purse, but it rarely gets used. I have a fanny pack that I use with two pockets. It is a good thing to have when going to dog parks and shopping, hands free, attached to my body. Maybe not as feminine as a purse, but certainly practical, which is what I need. In one of the pockets, one of the things I keep is a zippered pouch where I keep cash, cards, receipts, sorted into the 3 separate groups.

I always carry both.
I usually have $20-50 in my wallet.
Mrs. Sparky and I have several bank accounts over two institutions to keep our finances organized and isolated, so I have to carry cards for each (except our dedicated "bill pay" account that's off limits).

I also keep two $20s and a $10 behind my phone in its case for emergencies. With today's prices, I may have to up that amount...

Without CURRENT (Not Expired) Government Issued (with photo) identification you do not exist.
I'm ok being 'nonexistent', not having an ID does not inhibit me from using my cash or CC's.

I'm ok being 'nonexistent', not having an ID does not inhibit me from using my cash or CC's.
Can't buy a beer without Current-Valid-Government Issued ID. Can't do business, can't open a utility account.

Until one experiences trying to function without "approved" ID we just don't realize how often we actually produce it without even thinking. I have prepaid vouchers for taxi cabs, but I still must show "valid" ID.

Some places require ID if using a credit card. Some places require valid ID "AND" also require two current utility bills showing your physical address.

Can't buy a beer without Current-Valid-Government Issued ID. Can't do business, can't open a utility account.

Some places require ID if using a credit card. Some places require valid ID "AND" also require two current utility bills showing your physical address.
Not for me.
66984-NoDeal.gif

I have never been asked for ID when I buy beer, and I buy A LOT of beer!
62288-Toast.gif

Never have been asked for an ID when I use a CC either.

Last edited:
I have never been asked for ID when I buy beer, and I buy A LOT of beer!
Avoid Alaska, and you should be fine. The very first day after my driver's license expired, I was not allowed to purchase a beer. And I am 77 y/o and look like 97 y/o. Many places the cashier has to enter your month and year of birth, or you can't go forward with the transaction.

Latest posts

Back