Just curious...do you carry cash, or plastic only?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean they don't look like that any more? Mine does. This twenty I keep in my wallet for backup was probably put there before 1996, so I didn't realize that the bills had changed. I have seen bills with metallic looking stripes on them, but I thought they were all larger denominations than twentys. Every few years I check on my twenty to make sure it hasn't rotted. So far, so good.
When you put that twenty in your wallet you could fill your car and have cash left for snacks at the gas station kiosk. Inflation is a b..., um, um, bummer. You might want to retire that bill in favour of one with a couple zeros on it.

When you put that twenty in your wallet you could fill your car and have cash left for snacks at the gas station kiosk. Inflation is a b..., um, um, bummer. You might want to retire that bill in favour of one with a couple zeros on it.
Good point. I should replace it with a $100 bill. I've never carried one of those. Honest. That always seemed like way too much money to be carrying around, putting at risk of theft or loss.

I use both cash and plastic. If a place or person is giving me a sketchy vibe I’ll use cash but for automated gas pumps and store contact-less machines I use apple pay on my phone, it uses a ‘one time code’ instead of the actual card number that could be grabbed by one of those skimming devices. At least that’s what they say… from apple.com

“Apple Pay is safer than using a physical credit, debit, or prepaid card. Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode is required for purchases on your iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, or iPad. Your card number and identity aren't shared with merchants, and your actual card numbers aren't stored on your device or on Apple servers.”

I was on a winter trip through Canada when I hit a couple ice berms under the snow. This threw me off the road and buried me up to the windows. The last house I saw was almost two hours before. The highway department dug me out the next morning and hauled me ten miles further, at the border, to a guy with a loader. He wanted $500 to pull me out. He did not want plastic.

A Canadian border guard asked me once why I had so much cash. I told him I'd been turned away fro Canada because I didn't have enough cash, that I didn't know that was a lot of cash, and (laughing) that he was lucky my wife wasn't with me.

I prep for bad things happening on trips.

Can't buy a beer without Current-Valid-Government Issued ID. Can't do business, can't open a utility account.

Until one experiences trying to function without "approved" ID we just don't realize how often we actually produce it without even thinking. I have prepaid vouchers for taxi cabs, but I still must show "valid" ID.

Some places require ID if using a credit card. Some places require valid ID "AND" also require two current utility bills showing your physical address.
Can't vote in Florida without photo ID.

Not for me.
66984-NoDeal.gif

I have never been asked for ID when I buy beer, and I buy A LOT of beer!
62288-Toast.gif

Never have been asked for an ID when I use a CC either.
Wow, you must look really old 😉
Without CURRENT (Not Expired) Government Issued (with photo) identification you do not exist.
Which is one reason I like leaving the house without it. (I do have it, but don’t always take it with me).

I use both. For business it’s a card.
For personal, I use the card to paint a picture if you will of a very mainstream image: sugar, maybe some veggies, pet food, gifts, anything entertainment-like etc. For real things, I use cash.

Super probably gets a senior discount!!🤠
He, he! I remember the first one I got, completely caught me off guard :oops:.
Since I have always done math in my head when it involves my money, I was checking out at KFC and told the girl that she had undercharged me.
She said: "It includes your senior discount, everybody over 55 gets that;)".
...Evidently it comes with a free slice of 'humble-pie'.:rolleyes:

I also carry cash and a credit card... I use the credit card for all I can as it earns reward bucks..
I only use cash for things I don't want on the credit card statement... KnowwhatImean....

Senior discounts.... I worked long and hard to earn discounts... I use them to the maximum..

I generally only carry cash if my wife puts it in my wallet or I'm going out to buy something really cheap. I almost always use a credit card because I get 1% on everything I buy. That mounts up over time. One of our CC used to have a deal that if you let your cash back mount up to $500 they would give you $750, $750/1,000 & 1,000/1,500. We got the $1,500 twice before they stopped it. I love free money!

I don't live in great town.... short story is: It's a lot easier to tell beggars "I don't carry cash".... "card only". Rather than get in their face about being a worthless beggar, which I have done before.

Anyway, when I was making big bucks, almost more than I knew what to do with.... I carried a few hundred regularly.

Back when I was still working I would charge over $150k per year on my CC, even more on my company CC. I always paid off our personal CC every month. We got air miles on our card. It paid for many of the wife's flights to Alaska every 3 weeks.
Air mile rewards don't interest me. Not only am I afraid of heights but I had to go out & pick up pieces of crashed airplanes twice. (and yes I was in the Air Force but I didn't have a flying job). When I retired, I swore never to fly in a plane again & I haven't. Before that I tried to never fly sober & mostly didn't. (wink)

I generally only carry cash if my wife puts it in my wallet or I'm going out to buy something really cheap. I almost always use a credit card because I get 1% on everything I buy. That mounts up over time. I love free money!
Yep! Be like me and put everything on the card and forget all about the 'cash back' for a few years :oops:.
Then dip your cup in it when you have a month with 'above normal' expenses.
Well, lookie-there!:D
There's $450 of free money in my cup!:woo hoo:
Why people give this money to others instead of harvesting it, just floors me:(.

Latest posts

Back