Kansas City

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday we went to the Steamboat Arabia museum which we thoroughly enjoyed. It was a ship that went down in the 1850s that was laden with 200 tons of cargo that was headed to the frontier. It had everything for life in those times it was like a floating Walmart. It was found in the 80s with all of its cargo perfectly preserved in the middle of a cornfield. I had my wife and son watch the documentary Cornfield Shipwreck to give them an idea about it before we left on our trip

B5DFF6C7-317F-4AC8-AE45-593C2150CE83.jpeg
89156A75-859F-4052-BF76-7BE01C1270B5.jpeg
0B1CED58-C6C6-474B-B49F-610625FAFD2E.jpeg
04EC1EB9-AD80-4CFD-9BC3-15C512869D02.jpeg
D28CAFD6-8E9B-409E-892B-2E26BE5FAD00.jpeg
7ECCB0C1-2397-400D-A30F-54F7278FC9FC.jpeg
42539194-9D02-4905-9C02-F06518747324.jpeg
604EE2F4-0C01-4AFF-9555-C356BEE8A69E.jpeg
289E320B-F48E-48E8-8F5B-C626D332FDC3.jpeg

No pictures of the giant shuttlecocks? We lived in KC from 1972-1992. Well we lived in a little town on the edge, Buckner, but I worked all over KC. Isn't the Arabia museum at the old city market? My aunt and uncle sold produce down there. I even got to meet the mafia don.

No pictures of the giant shuttlecocks? We lived in KC from 1972-1992. Well we lived in a little town on the edge, Buckner, but I worked all over KC. Isn't the Arabia museum at the old city market? My aunt and uncle sold produce down there. I even got to meet the mafia don.

What’s a shuttlecock? Yes the museum is by the old market downtown. We went down on 12th to check out some of the old mob hangouts

Next stop was the World War 1 memorial and museum. I had driven by this several times in my life without stopping I was shocked on what we had missed out on! View attachment 69292View attachment 69293View attachment 69294View attachment 69295View attachment 69292View attachment 69293View attachment 69294View attachment 69295
Isn't this memorial fairly close to Crown Center and Union Station? I've never been there, but have a memory of seeing it a little west of there.

The Mafia was big in KCMO when I lived there. I have no idea what the current status is.

Went to the KC bbq fest today at the Chiefs Stadium. It’s the first thing we have been disappointed in. Kansas City is known for its BBQ and it was a terrible representation. We see better events in Branson.

View attachment 69307
View attachment 69308
View attachment 69309View attachment 69310View attachment 69311View attachment 69312View attachment 69313View attachment 69314
If you really want to experience the KC barbecue go to the American Royal. I'm not sure when it is but my buddy goes every year and he says it's incredible.

Kansas City is known for having good barbecue. Arthur Bryant's is an experience. It is in a neighborhood that is not considered the safest and they used to get robbed frequently. They decided that any law enforcement who ate there could eat for free, and they honored that when I lived there. One Saturday I decided I would try the great Arthur Bryant's, since I had heard about it. It was early afternoon, maybe 2. When I walked in, all the tables had piles of plates on them and they told me they were sold out. I have no idea if they get slammed so bad that they have to have a couple hours to recover, clean up, and have their next round ready for evening. I have never had the chance to eat their barbecue.

People from Colorado (and elsewhere) know that KCMO has good barbecue, and the Gates close to I-70 gets lots of business from people who are driving through. I have been lucky enough to eat ribs from that particular Gates purchased by someone passing through since I have lived in Colorado. The last time I was there, the place wasn't fancy, but it was sure busy. I think Gates has a few places around the city. Ollie Gates was on the Martha Stewart show many years ago and shared a few of his recipes. Of course, the grilling techniques are important.

What’s a shuttlecock? Yes the museum is by the old market downtown. We went down on 12th to check out some of the old mob hangouts
A shuttlecock is the "birdie" used in badminton. There are some huge ones outside at Nelson museum.
F94-1-3-4_OldenburgvanBruggen-Shuttlecocks_fromSouth.png

Kansas City is known for having good barbecue. Arthur Bryant's is an experience. It is in a neighborhood that is not considered the safest and they used to get robbed frequently. They decided that any law enforcement who ate there could eat for free, and they honored that when I lived there. One Saturday I decided I would try the great Arthur Bryant's, since I had heard about it. It was early afternoon, maybe 2. When I walked in, all the tables had piles of plates on them and they told me they were sold out. I have no idea if they get slammed so bad that they have to have a couple hours to recover, clean up, and have their next round ready for evening. I have never had the chance to eat their barbecue.

People from Colorado (and elsewhere) know that KCMO has good barbecue, and the Gates close to I-70 gets lots of business from people who are driving through. I have been lucky enough to eat ribs from that particular Gates purchased by someone passing through since I have lived in Colorado. The last time I was there, the place wasn't fancy, but it was sure busy. I think Gates has a few places around the city. Ollie Gates was on the Martha Stewart show many years ago and shared a few of his recipes. Of course, the grilling techniques are important.
Eating at Bryants is a pleasure and a curse. You will never find BBQ that good again. Gates is good, but the buildings tend to be run-down. Zardas is the "fast food" of KC BBQ, edible but not memorable. Smoke House was good 25 years ago, but not so much now.

My experience is that Joe's Barbecue in Olathe is the best of the bunch. The meat just disintegrated on my tongue, it was so tender and juicy. And their sauces are fantastic. Bryant's isn't even close. Jack Stack is worth a try. There's one other one that I can't remember that's supposed to be a big name in KC barbecue...

The Nelson Art Gallery
https://www.nelson-atkins.org/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-listing
Artist/Designer: Aguste Rodin
Dates: Installed in 1951, conserved and relocated in 1960
Description:
This famous sculpture by Rodin was a gift to Kansas City by Grant and Mathilde Rosenzweig and sits on the south lawn of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. They contributed $60,000 to the City in 1948 for purchase by a committee who made this selection.
Rodin's "The Thinker"
The-Thinker-NW-View.jpg

The Nelson has some fabulous art and I have been there a few times. I have seen a few special shows but the only one that I specifically remember is a show about the work of Wassily Kadinsky. Wassily Kandinsky - Wikipedia Some of his work reminded me of abstract paintings I had done in h.s. when I had still never heard of him nor seen any of his work.

I believe it is free to visit The Nelson.

Last edited:
The Plaza, technically named The Country Club Plaza. Since it was built in the style of the architecture of Seville, Spain, it is easy to identify when it is seen in a photograph. It has high end shops and restaurants.
I believe my first visit to The Plaza was when some college friends and I drove there to see The Exorcist. Later, I worked part time at Macy's on The Plaza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club_Plaza
The Country Club Plaza (often called The Plaza) is a privately-owned regional[1] shopping center in the Country Club District of Kansas City, Missouri. Opened in 1923, it was the first planned suburban shopping center and the first regional shopping center to accommodate shoppers arriving by car.

Planned in 1922 by J. C. Nichols and designed in Moorish Revival style echoing the architecture of Seville, Spain, the Plaza comprises high-end retail establishments, restaurants, and entertainment venues, as well as offices.[2] The Country Club Plaza is named in the Project for Public Spaces' list 60 of the World's Great Places.[3]

The center consists of 18 separate buildings representing 784,000 square feet (72,800 m2) of retail space and 219,000 square feet (20,300 m2) of office space.[4]

South of The Plaza a couple blocks is a beautiful park, Loose Park.
Loose Park | KC Parks and Recreation

It has a rose garden that is frequently used for weddings.
Rose Garden
Kansas City’s municipal rose garden in Loose Park is the realization of a dream that began in 1931, when a group of citizens under the leadership of Laura Conyers Smith established the Kansas City Rose Society. The first garden contained 120 rose plants. Today, there are about 3,000 roses of nearly 130 varieties in the 1.5 acre garden. The garden recently underwent a $400,000 renovation project, which included planting 1,200 new roses and restoring the beds to the original plans.

Christo had one of his exhibits there. I was able to see it. It was called Wrapped Walkways. It was there 1977-1978. Christo and Jeanne-Claude

Last edited:
KC has some great little areas for having fun. Of course there's the Plaza, but there's Westport and the Crossroads district too. And if you're young and wild, there's the Power & Light district. (@hashbrown you should've checked out the PBR Big Sky bar. 😉)
Even when I lived in KCMO in the late 1970's, Westport was an area where gays hung out. Boyfriend and I were going to go into a club one night. He walked ahead and I was right behind him. I never got in the door. He turned around and said, "Nope, not going in there." There used to be an older theater in Westport, The Bijou, that played all kinds of artsy and older movies. It looks like it is no longer around. My guess is that like many places, older buildings have been replaced with newer buildings.

Even when I lived in KCMO in the late 1970's, Westport was an area where gays hung out. Boyfriend and I were going to go into a club one night. He walked ahead and I was right behind him. I never got in the door. He turned around and said, "Nope, not going in there." There used to be an older theater in Westport, The Bijou, that played all kinds of artsy and older movies. It looks like it is no longer around. My guess is that like many places, older buildings have been replaced with newer buildings.
I first went there around '99 or 2000. I guess there wàs a gay club down there but I never saw it. Of course I was probably so drunk I could have been inside it and I wouldn't have known the difference.

There was a little basement blues club in Westport called Blaney's. It was old school all the way. Little bitty stage with a local band, cigarette smoke hanging thick in the air. The walls were brick and the ceiling was low. It was just my style. Sadly it's long gone. Up the street there was Kelly's Irish Pub. It was in the oldest building in KC and it was an absolute meat market. Half of KC was in there trying to get laid on Saturday nights. Kelly's is still there. Then there was the Beaumont club which was a Country bar. The bar stools were saddles and they had a mechanical bull. The first time I went in there the waitress asked what I wanted and I said, Bourbon! She said, "what do you want in it"? I said "Ice!" She looked at me like I was from another planet. I knew right then that I wasn't in a real country bar...😂

First time I was in Union Station was my army induction in 1968. Place was a disaster. It had been neglected for years.

I first went there around '99 or 2000. I guess there wàs a gay club down there but I never saw it. Of course I was probably so drunk I could have been inside it and I wouldn't have known the difference.

There was a little basement blues club in Westport called Blaney's. It was old school all the way. Little bitty stage with a local band, cigarette smoke hanging thick in the air. The walls were brick and the ceiling was low. It was just my style. Sadly it's long gone. Up the street there was Kelly's Irish Pub. It was in the oldest building in KC and it was an absolute meat market. Half of KC was in there trying to get laid on Saturday nights. Kelly's is still there. Then there was the Beaumont club which was a Country bar. The bar stools were saddles and they had a mechanical bull. The first time I went in there the waitress asked what I wanted and I said, Bourbon! She said, "what do you want in it"? I said "Ice!" She looked at me like I was from another planet. I knew right then that I wasn't in a real country bar...😂
I think I've been to Kelly's. On a n.w. corner? But, that was decades ago. I met some colleagues and friends after work there.

Another thing that makes KCMO a beautiful city is how a number of streets are laid out. There are several boulevards that have almost a park like area between north and south or east and west flow. The Paseo, in the northeast part of the city, is in a rough part of town now, but at one point in time, it was a higher end area with large homes, larger lots, etc. Ward Parkway runs from The Plaza and in a southwest direction. Again, a large area, almost parklike, between the two directions of traffic. Swope Parkway is also a beautiful drive, but I was only out there a couple of times. There are a few streets like this that do not run in a straight line, but curve around. Many of the streets in KCMO are parallel and perpendicular, but not all.
I did find the downtown area a little tricky to drive in. When the Interstates were put in, blocks of downtown were removed for the road to be put through there.

Latest posts

Back