Kansas City

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We decided we wanted to relax for a few days something we rarely do. My schedules are usually way to tight for anything other than work. We looked at going to the beach and that sort of thing and decided we didn’t want to spend days in the car and finally came up with the idea of spending a few days in Kc. It’s only about 3 an a half hours from home but a totally different world to what we are accustomed to. We booked a premiere suite at the Raphael and are going to hit up the BBQ fest and the museums. I got maybe an hour away from home this morning and had forgot my phone at home and had to turn around and back track so it added quite a bit of time to our trip. We finally made it and the suite is unbelievable.

56840548-02E8-4572-B6D4-F79DE3196C2D.jpeg
73AF892E-E01E-4D34-B7BC-E346554EB9CE.jpeg
BC2EC1B8-8B1E-4DA3-8F3E-B69F10E31A1D.jpeg
2F259AD9-0DD9-4D65-9CCD-88B75F201B12.jpeg
24CBB59F-A740-43D6-BB3D-E46D85B1A3E7.jpeg
6362C851-5636-46B4-9AE8-5A7E14CC3563.jpeg
2F47D074-52E8-445F-8297-7DF7A42DB11F.jpeg

The photo of Jake with creek in the background, Brush Creek, is what flooded in 1976 and killed 26 people. The Plaza was full of mud and many of the shops were heavily damaged. It was truly a disaster.
[/QUOTE

We came through here shortly after that flood. I was a kid and can still remember how big of a mess that was!

I was there minutes before it happened, trying to return some library books so they wouldn't be late. When I heard what time the wall of water came through, I thought it was about the time I was there. I was so close.

The grass by the creek is one of the places where they had big and free jazz concerts on Sunday evenings. I heard many famous jazz artists there, but the crowds got bigger and bigger. I could have walked the mile or so from home faster.

I have been there several times, but always for a reason. I never had a chance to really enjoy the city. I have been to Royals Stadium to see a ball game. I would really like to go to the Negro League Baseball Hall of Fame. Looks like you are all having a good time.

Enjoy!!

@Weedygarden you say you lived just east of the Plaza? One of my college buddies had an apartment about two or three blocks east of the Plaza. It was in an ancient brick building on the north side of Cleaver, east of that fountain thingy. Cold as hell in the winter! We had some great parties there back in 2001 and 2002. Sadly he moved because the neighborhoods from The Paseo and Troost moved west toward the Plaza. I also graduated from high school with a girl who is currently the head registrar at the Nelson Atkins art museum...

Last edited:
@Weedygarden you say you lived just east of the Plaza? One of my college buddies had an apartment about two or three blocks east of the Plaza. It was in an ancient brick building on the north side of Cleaver, east of that fountain thingy. Cold as hell in the winter! We had some great parties there back in 2001 and 2002. Sadly he moved because the neighborhoods from The Paseo and Troost moved west toward the Plaza. I also graduated from high school with a girl who is currently the head registrar at the Nelson Atkins art museum...
I lived pretty close to Troost. The east side was darker. There were lots of large older homes in the area, many subdivided into apartments. I know The Paseo was a place that was more crime ridden. I never experienced any crime, but I knew people who had bikes stolen.

I lived pretty close to Troost. The east side was darker. There were lots of large older homes in the area, many subdivided into apartments. I know The Paseo was a place that was more crime ridden. I never experienced any crime, but I knew people who had bikes stolen.
Even 20 years ago, there were always panhandlers outside my friend's building. He said the crime wasn't too bad, but the neighborhood was already full of younger, lower income people who hadn't really established their lives yet, and there was some minor petty stuff going on, and a there was a lot of weed around. But, things were only getting worse back then, and I'm sure it didn't get any better since that time...

Even 20 years ago, there were always panhandlers outside my friend's building. He said the crime wasn't too bad, but the neighborhood was already full of younger, lower income people who hadn't really established their lives yet, and there was some minor petty stuff going on, and a there was a lot of weed around. But, things were only getting worse back then, and I'm sure it didn't get any better since that time...
One of my roommates knew a guy who worked at the Safeway on Troost who dealt weed. I was not in on how all that came about, but I know she and her sisters dealt with him.

One of my roommates knew a guy who worked at the Safeway on Troost who dealt weed. I was not in on how all that came about, but I know she and her sisters dealt with him.
My buddy liked to partake now and then. He had to give it up because he's an elementary school teacher, but in those young and dumb days things were different...😂

My buddy liked to partake now and then. He had to give it up because he's an elementary school teacher, but in those young and dumb days things were different...😂
It is one of probably a few professions where you can be asked to go take a drug test at a moment's notice. It happened to a former colleague of mine, but her issues were severe. She left to go take her test and never returned.

Believe the only posy that show your son smiling is when he's looking at the picture on the wall...
My thought exactly.

"And when she started dancing
Her dancing made me feel
That everything single thing
was absolutely real"

(I was Will Parker in high school musical)

Ben

Latest posts

Back