Latest "Gift Card" scam going around...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good information to have. Thanks Havasu!

For those who are sending gift cards in the mail, beware. A couple of years ago I sent a $50 gift card from Applebees to someone in a Christmas card. They got the mangled Christmas card envelope and the Christmas card and NO gift card. I had the card number on the receipt I had at home after he called me since I had given him gift cards in the past and thought this was strange. When I checked the number, the card had already been used at an Applebees about 50 miles from the person I sent it to. I called the post office that had postmarked the envelope and they said they'd launch an investingation, which eventualy turned up nothing. I also called the Applebees that the card had been used at and they wouldn't do anything about it either.

I no longer send Christmas gift cards in the mail since I suspect that a postal worker stole the card. You can feel the card through the envelope, so now if I send a gift to someone, I send cash with an explanation of why. I apologize for the tackiness of sending cash, but when I explain why, I think they understand. I suspect that mailed gift card theft is likely higher this time of year.

IMHO and historically, a card, be it Christmas or birthday or whatever is always a target to get taken so I never, ever send cash.
Now, I just send them digitally, direct to their e-mail. Tacky? Maybe but it always gets there.
I'm not that technologically talented. I don't do any online or phone banking, so cash it is. It's rare that I send cash in the mail either, but I'll opt for that over a card that you can feel though the envelope. Thus far, I've never had cash stolen in the mail.

Ideally, I'll just hand over a card, but that's not always an option.

Not that checks are safe, but they are safer than cash when you mail them. You can post date them or write on the back "photo ID required to cash or deposit". Use a waterproof ink gel pen so the check cannot be altered. Now, if I could only find the checkbook and dust it off. It's been years since I've used it.

I too do things electronically. For gifts for the kids, Amazon is easy - they have my account login info. For other places to get specialized gear - local merchants usually - they just go in and pick what they want, then they call me, hand the phone to the merchant, and I give them my credit card info. We've never found a merchant that refused to do this. Obviously these methods would not work for others that are not family where you have trust. But family is really the only time we send money remotely.

On the local news there have been a couple stories concerning people going to places like Walmart where you can purchase gift cards for many stores.. They take a large number of blank cards... Then the part of the report I didn't get, somehow they are selling them as active, useable cards or somehow using the cards at stores without putting money on the cards..

Anyone with facts, details, info, experience ??

On the local news there have been a couple stories concerning people going to places like Walmart where you can purchase gift cards for many stores.. They take a large number of blank cards... Then the part of the report I didn't get, somehow they are selling them as active, useable cards or somehow using the cards at stores without putting money on the cards..

Anyone with facts, details, info, experience ??
Watch the OP again, it kind of fits with what you are describing.

Latest posts

Back