LED Bulbs That Don't Need Electricity To Work? Oh Yeah!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't visited this thread for a couple of years, and maybe you have answered this question already and I just forgot (maybe I even forgot if I was the one who might have asked it!)

When you go to turn on your lights with the wall switch, but they don't come on because the power is out, then how do you turn these bulbs on? Do they have a little "emergency backup" on/off switch on them? For many bulbs in my house I'd need a ladder to physically get up to the bulb. That would not work too well in the pitch blackness of a power failure. Knowing my luck, I'd be on top of the ladder blindly feeling around the bulb trying to find the emergency on/off switch ... and the power would come back on. The bulb would instantly light up, blinding me, and I'd fall off the ladder in an ocular panic.

I haven't visited this thread for a couple of years, and maybe you have answered this question already and I just forgot (maybe I even forgot if I was the one who might have asked it!)

When you go to turn on your lights with the wall switch, but they don't come on because the power is out, then how do you turn these bulbs on? Do they have a little "emergency backup" on/off switch on them? For many bulbs in my house I'd need a ladder to physically get up to the bulb. That would not work too well in the pitch blackness of a power failure. Knowing my luck, I'd be on top of the ladder blindly feeling around the bulb trying to find the emergency on/off switch ... and the power would come back on. The bulb would instantly light up, blinding me, and I'd fall off the ladder in an ocular panic.
If the power is out, the wall switch would need to be in the 'on' position to connect the bulb to the 'dead' circuit to make it come on.
No, they do not have an on-off switch that you will need a ladder for, they are automatic and if the power goes out, they still work like normal. They do need to be solo on a circuit to work, or you won't be able to turn them off.
They are mostly for table lamps.

I'm kind of a flashlight freak myself, I panicked when I thought I lost my favorite Duracell 1300 lumen flashlight, it's probably the best flashlight I've ever owned, even though it goes through its four C cells a bit too fast, but I fixed that by going to Batteries Plus and bought a bunch of Nuon rechargeable batteries, to my amazement they run off of a charge for about as long as a set of alkaline batteries last. Truth is what isn't made in China anymore? I used to think Duracell batteries were the best to get, now that they are made in China they all seem to start leaking before they die, that dang near ruins the battery compartments, I thought about calling them up but I'm pretty sure that would be a waste of time, it certainly was with the call I made to Everyday company for the same leakage problem. Our emergency lighting is small LED lanterns, some have switches and some come on by just pulling the tops up, all will be powered by Nuon rechargeable, I just don't trust alkaline batteries anymore.

Fear not! I have been working for the last 2 months on an article on another LED light that I found 'That Don't Need Electricity To Work'.
But I will make a new thread for those.
I was determined to do extensive 'real-world' testing on them before blabbing about them. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I'm kind of a flashlight freak myself, I panicked when I thought I lost my favorite Duracell 1300 lumen flashlight, it's probably the best flashlight I've ever owned, even though it goes through its four C cells a bit too fast, but I fixed that by going to Batteries Plus and bought a bunch of Nuon rechargeable batteries, to my amazement they run off of a charge for about as long as a set of alkaline batteries last. Truth is what isn't made in China anymore? I used to think Duracell batteries were the best to get, now that they are made in China they all seem to start leaking before they die, that dang near ruins the battery compartments, I thought about calling them up but I'm pretty sure that would be a waste of time, it certainly was with the call I made to Everyday company for the same leakage problem. Our emergency lighting is small LED lanterns, some have switches and some come on by just pulling the tops up, all will be powered by Nuon rechargeable, I just don't trust alkaline batteries anymore.
Bought a package of Duracell batteries at Costco. About 3/4 of them Started leaking in the package. Duracell sent me a coupon to replace the batteries.

A friend of mine uses Corrosion Block to clean battery compartments where his batteries have leaked. I haven't had a chance to try it myself but I trust his opinion.
https://www.amazon.com/CB12-Corrosi...id=1690531698&sprefix=corosion,aps,173&sr=8-5

In the UK flash lights are called torches.

My departed buddy brought over his uber flash light that literally set a piece of paper on fire!

Ben
I have one of those!

Fear not! I have been working for the last 2 months on an article on another LED light that I found 'That Don't Need Electricity To Work'.
But I will make a new thread for those.
I was determined to do extensive 'real-world' testing on them before blabbing about them. :thumbs:

has this thread been posted yet? link please if yes.

has this thread been posted yet? link please if yes.
Still testing after 2+ months. I will link the thread here when I get all my info together.
They are solar powered lights that harvest power during the day and light up your patio at night. Outdoor, not indoor, like the ones in this thread.
Several unique things about them. :):thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back