Linux technical user manuals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p.s. - In your pictures above, I can see that your Toshiba disk was manufactured back in 2013. The Seagate one was manufactured in 2014. I haven't been able to locate the manufacture date of the Western Digital disk.

These disks are due for replacement simply because of their age. You might want to consider if simply purchasing a new hard disk (or better yet - an SSD) is the easier and better way to go.
That was to bee Me next Choice and seems to bee the Best One at this time...!!! Won't bee getting any Toshiba or Seagate either, probably go with WD...! BTW, they are all SSD's, (thin ones)...!!

I've had amazing good luck with hard drives, and always gone with well known brand names. But yes, they wear out and SSD's are the way to go for replacements.

Won't bee getting any Toshiba or Seagate either, probably go with WD...!

Actually Toshiba is one of the better drives, and would be among my first choices. Seagate is last choice, WD somewhere in the middle.

BTW, they are all SSD's, (thin ones)...!!

All the drives in your photos are hard drives, not SSD's. SSD's are great for speed and durability in a laptop, but when they fail, they're much more likely than hard drives to fail completely with no warning and no opportunity to try to save your data. So even though they're more reliable than hard drives, it's actually even more important to keep your data backed up.

By the way, laptop hard drives often take a beating because people bang their laptops around and cause mechanical damage. Unless you know how to read their self-diagnostic info and test them, probably best to prefer new drives over used, when you buy a drive.

You bee Right, I was mis-informed on the HD's., where's Homer...?!? :facepalm:

I never bang around Laptops, I Do Know how Critical they bee...!!

BTW, they are all SSD's, (thin ones)...!!

Your pictures are of hard drives, as @backwoodsman pointed out.

This is what a SATA SSD looks like. I am not advocating the ACER brand - this was simply the best picture I could find quickly that showed one tilted, so you can better see what it looks like:

sata_ssd.png

Newer computers use M.2 interface SSD's. They look like this (with some variation):

m2_ssd.png

M.2 SSD's are significantly faster than SATA SSD's. However, you won't notice that in day-to-day operation. Most people don't do computer stuff that needs the super high transfer rates that the newer SSD's can produce. I'm betting the normal/casual user might only notice the speed difference between SATA and M.2 SSD's at boot time. If even then.

So if you do buy an SSD for your computer (it will be a SATA one), don't agonize over every little speed difference you see in the printed specs. I'll bet you won't notice the difference. Buy something that has a good reputation, from a well known manufacturer, that is cheap. I would recommend the Crucial MX500. Or one of the Samsungs. These are the only two SATA interface ones that I have bought myself, and I have had perfect performance from them. But there are plenty of other brands that are probably every bit as good. Just buy a brand that you've actually heard of before, would be my only real suggestion. Here's a good one, 250Gb for only $34.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0781VSXBP

p.s. - OK, that was stupid of me to post a picture of what a SATA SSD looks like. It's going to look like a laptop HDD - because it mounts in the same space. Duh! Oh well - I need more coffee. But SATA SSD's are smooth on both top and bottom, whereas a HDD has little bumpy parts where the motor and such hang out.

He can't use windows so the hard drive can be considered blank. Before swapping a drive out i'd try to load linux on it. Format the drive first from the dvd then load linux defaults.

If that works the drive isn't an issue. If he can't format the drive then... Knowing Compaq's... he probably needs to flash the bios.

He can't use windows so the hard drive can be considered blank. Before swapping a drive out i'd try to load linux on it. Format the drive first from the dvd then load linux defaults.

If that works the drive isn't an issue. If he can't format the drive then... Knowing Compaq's... he probably needs to flash the bios.

Sorry, Compaq's have Nothing to do with Me Situation...!!! The Laptop PC in ? is a Toshiba Satellite...!!

Latest posts

Back