"Local Predators"...... ??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cougars weigh less than most full grown men and they kill by either closing off the airway with a bite and holding on or a bite to the rear of the neck to separate the spine. Their mouths are not big enough to do either to a mature human. They can scratch you up good and even leave some woulds that need medical attention. They tend to stay away from mature humans and about the only armament you need is some rocks of throwing size. Bears are bigger and have bigger mouths. I'm talking Black bears not grizzly bears. They can be scared with loud noises and by making yourself look bigger. If there are three of you, stand close together hands out and up and yell or bang cooking pans together they will go around you. It has even worked when we inadvertently got between a sow and her cubs. We did have guns as backup.

Reactions: Neb
Cougars weigh less than most full grown men and they kill by either closing off the airway with a bite and holding on or a bite to the rear of the neck to separate the spine. Their mouths are not big enough to do either to a mature human. They can scratch you up good and even leave some woulds that need medical attention. They tend to stay away from mature humans and about the only armament you need is some rocks of throwing size. Bears are bigger and have bigger mouths. I'm talking Black bears not grizzly bears. They can be scared with loud noises and by making yourself look bigger. If there are three of you, stand close together hands out and up and yell or bang cooking pans together they will go around you. It has even worked when we inadvertently got between a sow and her cubs.
--- ---
Interesting..... If these are indeed first hand experiences and not quotes from a "how to live peacefully with wild life" organization you have been lucky.. A number of things could have gone very differently...

For instance.... When I had my lake place, a neighbor a couple places down stepped one step onto his back deck to see what his little ankle duster dog was fussing about... This just in time for the bear to run across the deck.. As the bear went by it "bitch slapped" the guy across the face.. This for lack of a better term to describe the incident.... It took him a month in hospital, several surgeries and a year plus of healing to recover..

I spent the weekend with friends in Corvallis Oregon.
They live on 52 acres in a heavily wooded area. He has game cams set up .
He has pictures of a cougar, coyotes, bobcat, and 3 different bears, plus turkey and deer
They all walked within 100 feet of his house and within 5 feet of the RV we stayed in.
He also has a picture of a 5 point elk with an arrow all the way through it just below his back bone.
The elk didn't seem bothered much. Hopefully the arrow will get snagged on something and pull out.

We have black bears here, they say we don't but we do. we have all sorts of things in the deep woods that we're not supposed to, including feral humans!

No, I'm not joking. most of the ones I've met are Vietnam veterans who never quite came all the way home. they tend to make "bunkers" or "Hooches" and camouflage the hell out of them. they get by by raiding the dumpsters behind the bigger stores, hunting and fishing. then there are professional transients, AKA urban campers. there was a camp of about fifty that would sneak into shuttered factories for the winter and steal stores blind. the only group I had contact with got broke up by the cops after a stabbing and I lost track of them. Most just want left alone, but there's nuts and criminals in the mix too, they'll gladly avoid you if you avoid them...USUALLY.

Well my tales were personal encounters and only two of them. My biggest advantage is that I was in a wilderness area and not with animals unafraid of humans.
A bear that roams a neighborhood is a dangerous and unpredictable animal. He is there to feed and if you get between a feeding animal and his food you are in a bad spot for sure.

I live in rocky mountain montana and have tried scaring a black bear away with some close range 9mm fired in the air.....nothing. I had to fire several times into the gravel and splatter it with rocks to get it to move.
Lived around cougar and other cats in the wild and never hardly saw them but tried to put one down caught in a illegally set trap and it took too many semi jacketed hollow point 357.
The grizz here in montana are proliferating, people died last year and already someone has been ate this year. Not hunted presently so they have no fear.

but tried to put one down caught in a illegally set trap and it took too many semi jacketed hollow point 357. The grizz here in montana are proliferating, people died Not hunted presently so they have no fear.
--- ---
Yes... Big cats and bears are not that hard to puncture... They can be hard to kill...

Same here with the grizzly... Since hunting stopped reported "incidents" have skyrocketed... I don't know if anyone has been hurt, but it can only be a matter of time...

The best thing for the species is numbers management.. This also helps keep them wary of humans.. Hunting with dogs also is a big help in reducing there losing fear of humans..

But the science is irrelevant to people with an agenda, it seems...

We have coyotes , bears, and small stuff like raccoons. Have dogs to keep them away from the livestock. Biggest problem is actually people dumping unwanted dogs off in the area all the time and one time a neighbor's went after our sheep ( but didn't kill any). Our dogs pretty much keep everything away

Yesterday, while looking for the back corner (Re-Bar Marker) of my yard, and photographing the waterfalls, found a bear den about 15 feet from the waterfalls. I guess I am NOT the only entity to appreciate the waterfalls. Bear was not home yesterday, however as normal I had three firearms, including the .475 LINEBAUGH.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back