Looking for a seat at the table'

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Alaska!

@Spikedriver I was with Southern Railway before it became NS, It was a lot different in those days.

I know what Spikedriver is dealing with every day, and wish him the best of luck my son is out there as a Signal Maintainer in the southeast corridor.

I noticed your post in another thread. Long ago i worked for pullman std in bessemer al. Welder, union of course, we built a lot of train cars. The yellow RailBox cars, worked midnights for a year on that line. I welded a 5th wheel assembly on flat cars, yellow and black TrailerTrain cars. Spike called them 'Pigs', spent a year on those. I used to know the beginning and ending serial number I worked on, painted in big numbers on the side. For decades after i'd occasionally see one of mine while sitting at an rr crossing. We built several thousand of them.

Rarely see a train these days, still like to watch them go by when i can. Worked off shore a few years, took amtrak to New orleans every month. Keep thinking it'd be nice to go on another train ride and see the city again. Crossing lake pontchartrain is a neat experience. 6 miles over open water. It's like floating except for the clanking of the rails.

Seems like toy will be a good fit here. I can't spell Missiissipppiii either, so I love your MissiBamaTennessee reference.
I think there was something on a television show when I was in second grade. "Mississippi is a hard word to spell." And then we all learned to spell it, in second grade. It was one of the smartest girls in class who lead the saying and learning of that. I promptly learned to spell it because it was the topic of discussion for a few days, by everyone in class. Probably most of the class learned to spell it then. "Em I ess ess, I ess ess, I pea pea I. "

Welcome from New Joisey!
Spent a while in Joisey, Ft Dix, home of the infantry and Wrightstown. That was my training station for basic training. Jersey Shore was a place I knew long before Snookie was even though of. I remember the fog out there from the North Atlantic I know for sure why you hear fog horns often.

I got up one morning to go to REAL, not concrete, boardwalk and you could stick your hand out the door and it was like sticking in gray paint. It burned off good by 1pm.

Lot of hot JAPs go out there to party weekends.

Latest posts

Back