Looks like a major cell phone outage. All carriers effected.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't care if it was Just AT&T but its every service that is tracked.
Apparently it is not. What I'm seeing being reported is that this is just a regular garden variety outage for AT&T, not a TEOTWAWKI outage involving hackers, multiple carriers, and the end of civilization. AT&T is reporting that things are mostly fixed now. Other carriers are reporting no problems, not now, and not before. It's amazing to me how the Chicken Little panic crap spreads like wildfire. Websites publishing graphs showing how every carrier is affected, media running around screaming with their hair on fire. Sheesh.

Apparently it is not. What I'm seeing being reported is that this is just a regular garden variety outage for AT&T, not a TEOTWAWKI outage involving hackers, multiple carriers, and the end of civilization. AT&T is reporting that things are mostly fixed now. Other carriers are reporting no problems, not now, and not before. It's amazing to me how the Chicken Little panic crap spreads like wildfire. Websites publishing graphs showing how every carrier is affected, media running around screaming with their hair on fire. Sheesh.
...You forgot the emoji for that:
59524-f285caf60ba445d8a80d1eac4601205c.gif

My Cricket phone was down, not Hubby's! I stopped in the Cricket store on the way to work, a bunch of people were using their WIFI!! Then an Amber Alert went off!! If you have WIFI, you had phone service!! So it's conspiracy theory time: INSIDE ATTACK ON TARGETED DEVICES!
Either way, you can be certain that the junkies that had their leash yanked, will be getting a nice letter in the mail that says: "your bill will be going up to prevent this from happening again:waiting:", and they will happily pay it🤪.

If you have WIFI, you had phone service!
uh no. That isn't how it works.
Actually the media was really late to the party. It was over by the time the media woke up. It could have been TEOTWAWKI for all we know and the news wouldn't have picked up the story until the next day.

From what I can tell, the appearance of outages on other services was a combination of many services that call themselves something different, actually using AT&T towers regardless of name, and all the people trying to call an AT&T customer. Given that AT&T is about half the market, odds are good that if you where trying to call someone, and could call, you wouldn't get through even if you where not an AT&T customer.

This was what I fully expected in this situation, and we will probably experience in the future.
In retro spect, I should have expected that. The fact they wouldn't comment on the situation, should have been a clue it was an attack rather than solar flare event or something.

I didn't notice. I really don't care about a phone.
Phones have been around for a really long time. It seems to me that with everyone freaking out that they'd realize it. If the phone systems that we have today all go down and don't come up again, it's not terribly hard to get another system going like there used to be. It would not be with all the photos, selfies, data, and all that nonsense, but it would be a telephone.

A logical way to make state sanctioned cyber attacks deniable, would be to make them look like ransomware attacks.

Many cyber attacks these days, look like "probing".

Not designed to do any real lasting damage.....but more to assess vulnerabilities, response times and countermeasures for future use.

Phones have been around for a really long time. It seems to me that with everyone freaking out that they'd realize it. If the phone systems that we have today all go down and don't come up again, it's not terribly hard to get another system going like there used to be. It would not be with all the photos, selfies, data, and all that nonsense, but it would be a telephone.
Yes, it's all pretty much been fixed by now.
Like all the threads we have about when "tha-grid" goes down; they completely forget that we have millions of Americans that do nothing every day but fix stuff that doesn't work (I was one for 40 years).
Don't forget about us :(.

I guess i'm late to the party! Was on my way to town and tried to call a friend just before noon. Phone didn't work, got a message 'only emergency services available'. I assumed my yearly $100 worth of minutes from last March at At&t had finally run out.

As it happened, i stopped for lunch next to the At&t store. So I checked with them and learned it was it nation wide issue. While i was talking with the lady everything started working... and learned I have $91.35 in minutes left that is about to expire next month. I rarely use the phone...

A logical way to make state sanctioned cyber attacks deniable, would be to make them look like ransomware attacks.

Many cyber attacks these days, look like "probing".

Not designed to do any real lasting damage.....but more to assess vulnerabilities, response times and countermeasures for future use.
This wasn't about phones or an outage, this was about singling out targets! Tens of thousands of people were out, not millions, not a huge widespread thing!

This wasn't about phones or an outage, this was about singling out targets! Tens of thousands of people were out, not millions, not a huge widespread thing!
Yeah, but it was the most whiney ones of them all.:cry:gaah

Rats, I missed all the fun :p. Teach me to not be glued to my phone.
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the advertisements to appear....

If your lifestyle was harmed on 02-22-24 by the AT&T outage, you may be entitled to compensation...
Call today! 1-800-ATT-ruinedmylife

Last edited:
Now, they are blaming this collapse on a bad cell phone update.
I do not hear that AT&T blamed anything for the problem early on. They didn't know what had happened yet. So they did some troubleshooting, figured out what it was, and are fixing it (or may have completely fixed it by now, I don't know). And AT&T is apparently just now starting to report on it - from a position of knowing, not from a position of guessing. From what others are publishing, these kind of outages happen quite frequently. Except this one was grabbed around the neck by the Chicken Littles and strangled into a big issue. It wasn't AT&T - it was the Chicken Littles - who initially blamed it on hackers, solar flares, ransomware, probes, attacks, a snapshot of what is to come, claiming it was multi-carrier affecting, etc. So if people are pissed that "the story changed", blame that on the stupid Chicken Littles. They're the ones who made up the false stories in the first place.

I do not hear that AT&T blamed anything for the problem early on. They didn't know what had happened yet. So they did some troubleshooting, figured out what it was, and are fixing it (or may have completely fixed it by now, I don't know). And AT&T is apparently just now starting to report on it - from a position of knowing, not from a position of guessing. From what others are publishing, these kind of outages happen quite frequently. Except this one was grabbed around the neck by the Chicken Littles and strangled into a big issue. It wasn't AT&T - it was the Chicken Littles - who initially blamed it on hackers, solar flares, ransomware, probes, attacks, a snapshot of what is to come, claiming it was multi-carrier affecting, etc. So if people are pissed that "the story changed", blame that on the stupid Chicken Littles. They're the ones who made up the false stories in the first place.
I don't think we the public have enough info to understand what happened.

Some cell phones went into SOS mode.

Some websites are not working.

Need more data.

Ben

I don't think we the public have enough info to understand what happened.

Some cell phones went into SOS mode.

Some websites are not working.

Need more data.

Ben
Yes, some people don't realize that even though they did away with 3g, 2g, and 1g, 1x is still alive and well, and 911 calls will always go thru.
I remember when I was with AT&T, when I was too far from 'their' tower but within 1,000 yards of another tower, my awesome 3g phone would downshift to 1x and my friends always had lots of 3g bars on theirs :mad:.

Doesn’t that sound nice?

Doesn’t that sound nice?
Yes, but they would have to build rehabilitation centers to get the smartphone junkies off of their addiction :(.

I do not hear that AT&T blamed anything for the problem early on. They didn't know what had happened yet. So they did some troubleshooting, figured out what it was, and are fixing it (or may have completely fixed it by now, I don't know). And AT&T is apparently just now starting to report on it - from a position of knowing, not from a position of guessing. From what others are publishing, these kind of outages happen quite frequently.
Latest update: GAt&T has confirmed that it was not the result of a cyber-attack.
Likely, some nerd tripped over a wire :rolleyes:.

Doesn’t that sound nice?

Yep. Very.

I've gotten so i hate using a phone. In the last 11 months i've only used my 'pay as you go' cell phone for 32min or about 3min each month. No cell service where i live so i have to have a land line. I don't use it either!!! if i can avoid it. I spend more time listening to elevator music each month than actually speaking with someone. Maybe 3 or 4 calls a month, check a car part or prescription. My calls are quick, to the point, thank you, bye!

I got one old friend who calls once every 2-4 months. We might talk 20min (he's a talker). Funny, last week someone local called. They hate phones more than i do! 🤣 Yet something came up that required a long chat. We were both laughing about it by the end.

Yep, I like a world where my phone has to be dusted just like my furniture.

Latest posts

Back