Looks like a major cell phone outage. All carriers effected.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
About 40 minutes ago I lost cell service. I noticed because I'm on call tonight....I checked downdetector.com and I see major spikes in outages across ALL cell carriers.

Earlier today my phone app notified me an an X class solar flare...

Check in.....if you can.....curious if it's as wide spread as it appears.

2am here in southern Utah and I have service.

EDIT: Maybe it's too early but I did a search of news reports and so far nothing. Unless ..... the idiots don't know how to post a news report without use of their cell phones?
Yeah, I can't find anything either, just comments and reports online by people all over the country. Nobody knows what is happening.

No "outage" down here (SW AZ, 'Cricket' (ATT towers) as service) but, I will say, ATT service in this area Has recently 'degraded', significantly.

..By "recently", I mean progressively worsening since shortly after early Jan, and by "degraded", I mean we used to have 3-4 bars all the time here - Haven't moved / nothing's 'changed' on Our end to self-affect - but Now, we consistently barely have 1-2 bars, and Several x / day, phone goes to "No Service", and must get 'refreshed' (Airplane mode on / off) to get Anything.

Doubtful that has anything to do with [whatever This is] but.. Certainly not a good 'trend'. Think it might be time to 'boot up the Zoleo's (from the 'standby' plan, to the Active plan) just in case Something wicked this way comes. 🤔

jd

Heat maps are pretty useful. Seems far too widespread to be maintenance.
Indeed. I wouldn't care if it was Just AT&T but its every service that is tracked. They all have a huge spike in reports starting about an hour ago.

Reports have peaked:

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 3.05.28 AM.png

Well, I still have cell service but out of curiosity I logged in to Verizon to see if they had any notices and after opening a few different pages on the website all the sudden I was getting error messages and the pages were not opening. Some pages opened correctly and others would not open.

..funny how in this day and age it still takes hours for the 'media' to wake up.

...Unless that's "the plan".. 🤔 :oops: ;)

I find myself Unable to trust a Single thing - at immediate, face value - from the 'DSM' (Deep State Media - I don't 'honor it' by calling it "Mainstream" anymore) these days, how Can we?? 🤬 Just about Everything, now, needs to be 'bias washed' thru alt-media / citizen journalist / sites like this, etc - Heck, we get more 'raw facts' about events from 'X', now!

The sellout 'DSM' should All be turned into Soylent Green cupcakes and secretly served to their puppetmasters at the next Bilderberger / Davos orgy.. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, back to This mess..
jd

Wait!! What?!?!?!?
If your cell phone wont work you can't call 911???
They should pass a law to prevent that from happening. :ghostly:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tec...lar-outage-could-impact-911-calls/ar-BB1iHvd8

"Montgomery County Regional Dispatcher told News Center 7 that they are aware, and these issues could impact any callers who need to call 911."

I don't know what is more ignorant. The "reporter" calling the county dispatch center to ask if a non-working phone could call 911, or the fact that they feel a need to tell people if their phone doesn't work it can't make a phone call to 911.

Wait!! What?!?!?!?
If your cell phone wont work you can't call 911???

Indeed. The reason I was ontop of this tonight, is that tonight I'm the Duty officer for my district. I AM 911.....or at least I was......

I'm going to propose at the next meeting if that we send out a PSA to everyone and tell them to send someone to the station in person to report an emergency if this ever happens again. For all I know there is a three car pile up or something right now on the 25 miles of highway in my district and no one has called it in yet because the phones are down.

My AT&T cell phone works perfectly here.

[edit] And my daughters AT&T cell phone is working perfectly in Hawaii too. I just talked to her. [/edit]

Has anyone considered that maybe it's "Down Detector" that is having the problems? When you have a supposedly widespread problem across many areas or many different companies with separate infrastructure, the first thing you look at is what's common to all of them.

It could be the end of the world that is causing all this, or it could just be that Down Detector's database is down. I will put my panic on hold for a while - especially since my cell phone is working just fine at the moment.

Last edited:
the . ca version is a joke, they don't even show the providers for most of the west on their list, it did show some glitches on a couple earlier.

Has anyone considered that maybe it's "Down Detector" that is having the problems?

a) Wouldn't explain all the - current - Comments from people in each of those carriers 'Status' pages, and..

b) if it was 'DD.com's database - it should show 'redlines' for All sites that it monitors - Not just cel carriers. ie: I didn't include it in the screenshot, above, but notably, below what I Did capture / post, all the major Internet-carriers (ie: Spectrum, etc) had Their 'overview panels' showing service was Up / fluctuating a bit (as-Usual) so.. Warn't 'site wide', at least.

jd

News is reporting that ATT and all subsidiaries were locked out of their own system due to ransomware hackers.
Aw cmon now!
You are supposed to be screaming that Russia has begun blowing up our satellites! gaah
My phone is rarely used, incoming or outgoing.
I could lose service for 3 days, and would never know.:rolleyes:

No problems here but I'm not on one of the effected carriers apparently.
The outage is the lead story on several news web sites.
People will lose their minds if it doesn't come back online soon.
I am certain that millions of junkies that spend every minute, of every day, fingering their stupid smartphone, are going thru severe withdrawal about now :(.

Latest posts

Back