Making A Camper Out Of Our Van

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Kinda a semi camper because we mostly use tents. I miss my bus so much!!! :cry:. I went to the site below I sold it last week and guess Snowflake isn't there with my Shorty. Probably a good thing not to have to see what she did to it again.:eyeballs:

logo.png

So far we built a bed for van and I'm going to add some color inside. We have always had a porta potty in it so never have to use public restrooms since 1980s potty goes with us everywhere.
Good thing they don't leak because when an old lady pulled out in front of us potty came from back to front and cracked me in the head,almost knocked me out.

Plus when we camped on beach 30 yr ago squall came ashore and took our tent for a heck of a ride and potty fractured my shinbone.We like to have never found the zipper in all that commotion, then hubby tried to hold on to tent and it took him for a ride across the beach. I was screaming ' let it go '. :ghostly:
No room to play with but its paid for and great on gas, it likes to roll.

I am not seeing a van. The senior nomads in America are all about YouTube and many get a revenue stream from all their videos about their vans, how they live, how they built them. I find it interesting.

I am not seeing a van. The senior nomads in America are all about YouTube and many get a revenue stream from all their videos about their vans, how they live, how they built them. I find it interesting.

I've seen those two and it seems like they like it but I like a place to come home to. But I like to go sometimes too.

I'm with you. I like to camp, and I like to travel a little, but I am most comfortable in my home where I can close the door and do what I want.

Its also a bug out vehicle in case we have to hit the road in a hurry from storms or whatever. We had our bus stocked and ready to go but it was easy since I had room.
Now we don't really know how to pack this van up what to take and leave..

This young lady is either one brave person or a fool.
She has a few major things going against her living on the road, one she is alone and probably unarmed [ since she is Scandinavian I'm sure he hates guns } and two she is attractive.
But I guess if she has lots of luck and smarts on her side she will make it.
Either way nice job on the van conversion.

I got the bedding put onto the DIY mattress we made from form at Amazon. I put a thick mattress pad over the 2 pieces of form. That way I can fold them back and make a seat out of them.
Now I want some lighter colors on the ceiling and walls, but hubby doesn't like the idea, well he will get use to it once its done. I'll compromise and just do some of it. I can use clothe instead of paint.
Of course the big pop up tent will be used most of the time. beds are just there if needed.
Dogs have their own tent and very good campers. And the cots for traveling keeps them off the floor and easy to wssh.

Meer, you are absolutely right about being ready in case you have to evacuate. None of us wants to, but many have had to, ready or not. It might be tight in there, but there are many ways of creating storage. Roof top carrier is one idea. Have you seen the little pull behind utility trailers? I have one that is 4 foot by 4 foot, so not heavy and not large, but big enough to carry supplies (fuel, water, food, firewood) I have moved many things with it. I hardly notice it behind me when I am moving stuff. I got this from someone and the price was really good. I have seen them on Craigslist for just $100 or so. You can get them new from Harbor Freight for more.

Meer, you are absolutely right about being ready in case you have to evacuate. None of us wants to, but many have had to, ready or not. It might be tight in there, but there are many ways of creating storage. Roof top carrier is one idea. Have you seen the little pull behind utility trailers? I have one that is 4 foot by 4 foot, so not heavy and not large, but big enough to carry supplies (fuel, water, food, firewood) I have moved many things with it. I hardly notice it behind me when I am moving stuff. I got this from someone and the price was really good. I have seen them on Craigslist for just $100 or so. You can get them new from Harbor Freight for more.

Weedy that is a good idea. We have a trailer we could hook up to. :great::Thankyou:

I've been told by a gal from France who said it is safe to hitchhike over there; people do it all the time. That was a few years back, maybe things have changed, but maybe (hopefully) the young gal is safer than we think.

I've been told by a gal from France who said it is safe to hitchhike over there; people do it all the time. That was a few years back, maybe things have changed, but maybe (hopefully) the young gal is safer than we think.
It might be safe to hitchhike in France, but it is not on my list of things to do. If I were to be on the side of the road with my thumb out, it would be because I had no other options, and I had been out of options for quite a while. I don't think it has been safe for a long time. I watch too much true crime stories.

It might be safe to hitchhike in France, but it is not on my list of things to do. If I were to be on the side of the road with my thumb out, it would be because I had no other options, and I had been out of options for quite a while. I don't think it has been safe for a long time. I watch too much true crime stories.
In recent years there have been many changes in Europe, and not for the better. Rape and other violence has become pandemic since the moslems have been allowed to flood into Europe. Things were pretty good when I was in Portugal, Gibraltar, and Spain around the turn of the century. I'm glad I went when I did.

In recent years there have been many changes in Europe, and not for the better. Rape and other violence has become pandemic since the moslems have been allowed to flood into Europe. Things were pretty good when I was in Portugal, Gibraltar, and Spain around the turn of the century. I'm glad I went when I did.
It is a matter of time before all of Europe becomes the same hell hole as the Middle east, imho. There is so much crime. I was house sitting for someone who went to Portugal earlier this year. Their car was broken into, on a main street, and everything that was theirs was taken. I know another couple who road bikes all over the world. They too were robbed, a number of years ago.

I hear it is not safe there for women in public to be alone much less hitchhike. Gang rapes and muslim violence.

Any ideas about this DIY conversion is welcome.
I know you watch YouTube videos. There are many van conversion videos on YouTube. There are several meetups in the Southwest every year for nomads. Most are senior citizens and many live in vans they have converted into living space. There are people who are really in tough spots who live in their cars.

I know you watch YouTube videos. There are many van conversion videos on YouTube. There are several meetups in the Southwest every year for nomads. Most are senior citizens and many live in vans they have converted into living space. There are people who are really in tough spots who live in their cars.

Weedy i have seen those videos and they are interesting. One is called Caravans I think.
It is a rough life for sure. Imagine being really sick in that get up?

I hear it is not safe there for women in public to be alone much less hitchhike. Gang rapes and muslim violence.
You know there are many stories that will never make the news. I did go to school with an Egyptian Coptic Christian woman who told about how dangerous it is for women in Egypt, one of the many countries in the Middleast highly populated by muslims. A woman is not allowed to say no to any men, for any reason. This is especially true for men in her family: father, brother, uncle, grandfather, any man. And men take advantage of that. It is a cultural thing, where they have little power and control over anything, but they can have power and control over women and children. However, if a woman has sex with anyone: father, brother, uncle, grandfather, any man, she is at fault. He is not. People who do not understand the danger of Muslims have yet to have an experience that helps them to get it.

You know there are many stories that will never make the news. I did go to school with an Egyptian Coptic Christian woman who told about how dangerous it is for women in Egypt, one of the many countries in the Middleast highly populated by muslims. A woman is not allowed to say no to any men, for any reason. This is especially true for men in her family: father, brother, uncle, grandfather, any man. And men take advantage of that. It is a cultural thing, where they have little power and control over anything, but they can have power and control over women and children. However, if a woman has sex with anyone: father, brother, uncle, grandfather, any man, she is at fault. He is not. People who do not understand the danger of Muslims have yet to have an experience that helps them to get it.

So true it is horrible what these women have to live with.
And there is no such thing as moderate muslim. Maybe a hypocrite muslim who doesn't obey the Quran but nothing moderate about the religion itself. Sooner or later they come back to it.
Like the Old Testament is slowly getting back to its origins. Already bringing back the animal sacrifices in Israel for the coming Temple.

Skip to 40 seconds into video to see the sheep sacrifice performed. Caution it gets gory.

So true it is horrible what these women have to live with.
And there is no such thing as moderate muslim. Maybe a hypocrite muslim who doesn't obey the Quran but nothing moderate about the religion itself. Sooner or later they come back to it.
Like the Old Testament is slowly getting back to its origins. Already bringing back the animal sacrifices in Israel for the coming Temple.

Skip to 40 seconds into video to see the sheep sacrifice performed. Caution it gets gory.

Looked like a BBQ to me.

Looked like a BBQ to me.
Yeah, nothing new to those of us that have done the "unsightly" thing to actually put meat on the table.
Yummy.gif
Now, back to making a camper!

Looked like a BBQ to me.

The point is according to the Bible it is a huge sign of the coming end of this era.
Nothing against or for what the even t is.
Seems almost everything but the Temple is ready to go.

Anyway back to van conversion, Sorry I got us off topic ' again'.:D

Yeah, nothing new to those of us that have done the "unsightly" thing to actually put meat on the table.View attachment 22762Now, back to making a camper!

Again I have caused some confusion, that post was nothing at all about eating meat or a cookout. :oops:

Van......I found some nice colorful sheets I had stored away to put on van bed for some color.:lil guy:

Latest posts

Back