Maple sugar

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Made up some maple sugar. To make get maple syrup up to 265 degrees. Then pull off heat and start stirring with a wooden spoon. It will start to solidify. I then run it through a processor to break down all the lumps. A 20230423_184057.jpgquart makes about 3 cups

Maple sugar was the preferred storage method. The Ojibwa would use paddles and basswood troughs to make sugar. They stored the sugar in birch bark cones

Attachments

• 20230423_190252.jpg
    20230423_190252.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Made up a gas buner thingies. Had a nearly new viking range we replaced because the oven didn't work. So I cut it off just below the burners and put a cap on the bottom.i have my pan held up by angle iron. The lady that warranteed the range took all the burner grates. I have grates from another stove that ill modify for this stove.

Attachments

• 20230403_195420.jpg
    20230403_195420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
We will try this! But my question is, you don't have to do any further evaporation (concentrating)? All one has to do heat the maple syrup to 265ºF and it will solidify?
As it is heated to 265 it does evaporate off water. Don't stir it. Then shut the burner off and start stirring. Don't quit it will start to granulated. Also if it foams while boiling put a pat of butter in it. That stops the foaming.

Supposedly sap season has started quite early this year in many places around this area.. No word on the sugar content of the sap or quantities yet...

In the far north we made birch syrup once.. It was OK as there weren't any maple trees in the area, but not as good as maple syrup.. It was also a lot more work as maple reduces about 40 to 1, birch reduces about 100 to 1...

Latest posts

Back