Marriage thread (for MEN)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
I have read a few posts lately that made me want to create this thread. While my thoughts on marriage (and relationships) are both experiential and biblical in nature, let's keep this thread secular so it can remain in the open forum. I am not reporting to be an expert or claiming to have everything about marriage figured out. I often fall short in some areas. I do however feel like I am part of an incredible marriage that does not seem to suffer from the up and downs, good days and bad days, blow ups and make ups, that many people around me seem to have. My wife and I are either doing something very right, or I won the spousal lottery (most likely both). Of course we did not get here overnight and I made a lot of mistakes a long the way. I am writing this to offer some suggestions as to why and am hoping that some of you will add your advice for a successful marriage as well.

For the last 3-4 years my wife and I have been teaching (I use the term teaching loosely) marriages classes at our church. These are not one and done classes, but spread out over several weeks. Before each class starts up we have several deep and meaningful conversations about OUR marriage; what works, what doesn't, failures, successes, challenges, how we cope with things, how we communicate, how we face the world, how we face negativity, etc., etc. It should come as no surprise that doing so helps us put together a better program but it is interesting how doing so also brings us even closer together. We base much of our presentations and discussions on a program called Love & Respect, just in case you are interested.

We often talk about how some people will renew their vows on certain anniversaries, but shouldn't we be renewing our commitments to one another every day? It's so easy to let the world and our own lives get in the way of our relationships. It's so easy to take someone for granted, even if you don't realize it and they do not complain about it. It's so easy to fall into a routine where affection and romance get set aside for duties & responsibilities. Our kids often tell people (while rolling their eyes) that their Mom and I act like newlyweds; always hugging, kissing, holding hands, tickling each other, etc. They will also tell you that they come second to our marriage. While shocking to some, we often point out that marriage is a book and our children are only a chapter. And someday those children will be married, hopefully for a lot longer than they lived in our home. What better way to teach them about healthy-happy marriages then by demonstrating one to them. And even though our relationship is strong we still need to renew our commitment and love for one another often. Two people who are very much in love can still grow apart, even if ever so slightly. We need to continuously focus on what unites us and fight off anything that divides us. Identifying what divides us take good open minded communication. Don't think you can just intuit what your wife is thinking and feeling, you probably can't (no matter how long you have been together). Sometimes it is hard to even understand here when she is trying to speak plainly.

But you also need to work on you. Not the 'you' your wife's sees, but you on the inside. I believe that a loving & happy marriage comes down to a number of things: you must be willing to give without the expectation of receiving (no matter how hard that is), you need to understand what makes us (men & women) different from each other and how to bridge the gap of communication, you need to build her up and never tear her down. My wife for example is a very affectionate person (both receiving and giving), which became VERY clear when were dating. If I want to satisfy my wife's need for affection I have to be v-e-r-y affectionate towards her. Hugging, kissing, holding hands, romantic gestures, focusing my loving gestures solely on her, etc. all helps to reassure my wife that I love her more than anyone else and am 100% dedicated to her. When she feels that reassurance she showers me with what I need; respect and appreciation. The more she respect me and what I do for our family the more I want to be affectionate and loving I am towards her and the more I want to do for my family. None of this is because I am trying to get her to respect me, that's a glorious side effect. Because if one day she not feeling especially respectful, I am NOT going to stop showering her with affection. Which by it's very nature will probably bring her back around. Human nature pushes us toward the wrong decision time and time again. If my wife is feeling unloved her natural instinct is to pout, keep her distance and/or push me away, but that is not what she really wants or needs. So if I am not as affectionate as she would like me to be, she is far better off being even more respectful (doing things like thanking me for keeping our family safe, telling me how much she appreciates have a strong husband, etc.). This will re-energize my passion for her and I will actually provide her with more affection. I often think of these interactions like a fork in the road: one is selfless and positive, the other is selfish and negative. Why would anyone want to take the selfish negative road? But we do it all the time. We have learned to recognize these forks in the road and are MUCH better at making the choice that will benefit us both in a positive way.

This brings us to the "men only" item for a successful and happy marriage. Knowing when to 'man up'. I am sure you all know by now that men tend to be more logical and analytical (thinking based) while women tend to be more more emotional (feeling based). One is not better than the other, but they do make us very different and effect how we process everything. Leadership is almost always thinking based while love and compassion are almost always feeling based. When we take that wrong fork in the road it usually leads to a battlefield. The place where we got caught up in ourselves and let it erupt into arguments, harsh words, dragging up past mistakes, intentionally hurting feelings, etc. This is where you, as the man, need to step up. Stop lashing out, stop raising your voice, stop shaming, stop guilt tripping, just stop. If you as the man, are supposed to be stronger and more stable, then act like it. Take the high road. Puff out your chest, hold your tongue and just take it without fighting back. Let the emotions calm down and the situation settle, then start to find your common ground again. It amazes how we as men are supposed to be strong, but yet time and time again it is the wife who has to silently acquiesce for the betterment of the marriage. That make her seem a lot stronger from where I stand. As the head of my household it is up to me to keep the peace, to provide, to protect, to shelter and to build up. I would no more allow an intruder to assault my wife than I would verbally attack her myself.

So if you are married perhaps it's time to turn off that TV, get off the internet, put down that book, stop cleaning that gun and spend some more time together. Remind each other why you feel in love and why you are still together. Tell her why she mean so much to you. Then make sure that you show her every single day. Not just by what you say, but by the things you don't say. Not just by the things you do, but by the things you don't do. Love can fade if you let it, but it can also grow and grow if you nurture it. I for one intend to see how amazing our life together can be. We all know our lives are fleeting and I don't want to waste a singe minute of our time together.

After many failed relationships, I think I found the answer. Focus on doing for and supporting your spouse in his/ her wants and needs. Give 100 percent without asking for anything in return. If you have found the right person, then they will be focused on doing for you and supporting you in your endeavors 100 percent. If you do and they don't, then you have not found the right person, keep looking. The right person is out there and looking for you. Once you have found each other, life will take on a whole new glow.

A long time ago some writer wrote a movie called " Love Story". One line was ' love means never having to say your sorry'. I got news for him, love means always having to say your sorry if you should be sorry. My hubby thinks sorry or apology ends with a' but ' sometimes. :mad:. And doesn't understand why I'm even madder at him than I was before he apologized.:dunno:. No if's and's and but's should ever be in an apology that puts the blame back on the one you've already violated somehow.:angie:

Last edited by a moderator:
After many failed relationships, I think I found the answer. Focus on doing for and supporting your spouse in his/ her wants and needs. Give 100 percent without asking for anything in return. If you have found the right person, then they will be focused on doing for you and supporting you in your endeavors 100 percent. If you do and they don't, then you have not found the right person, keep looking. The right person is out there and looking for you. Once you have found each other, life will take on a whole new glow.

But the chance of two perfect people coming together is rare. I think your absolutely right far as who we get tangled up with to begin with thinking that person will change because we are so wonderful. Ain't gonna happen. What you see is what you get and then some.

Hubby and I had a real rocky start for 10 years. Both came out of bad first marriages. But he was well worth the effort, as I must have been too he is still here. Not all are worth it.

But the chance of two perfect people coming together is rare. I think your absolutely right far as who we get tangled up with to begin with thinking that person will change because we are so wonderful. Ain't gonna happen. What you see is what you get and then some.

Hubby and I had a real rocky start for 10 years. Both came out of bad first marriages. But he was well worth the effort, as I must have been too he is still here. Not all are worth it.

You proved my point. 1) Don't stop looking. 2) There is somebody looking for you. 3) Give 100 percent and the right person will return it 100 percent. What I did NOT say is that it would be easy. It takes work and patience. Don't try and change people, won't work. They will work to change themselves for the better or they won't, in either case you can't make it happen.

You proved my point. 1) Don't stop looking. 2) There is somebody looking for you. 3) Give 100 percent and the right person will return it 100 percent. What I did NOT say is that it would be easy. It takes work and patience. Don't try and change people, won't work. They will work to change themselves for the better or they won't, in either case you can't make it happen.

Very true. :thumbs up:

But the chance of two perfect people coming together is rare.

I disagree, I think two people 'perfect for each other' is common. But all too often people decide to settle too early or are too focused on their education, careers, etc. to notice when the right person comes along. People also confuse lust with love and lead themselves down the wrong path. I knew I wanted to marry Mrs. Sentry18 the first time I saw her. I knew it in my mind, body and spirit. When we were on our honeymoon she told me she that even though she resisted dating me at first, she prayed that I would be persistent and prove to her that I was a strong and determined enough man for her. She did not want someone who would give up the second things got tough. We were clearly meant to be together even though I was (am) a decade older than her. Our paths were different but they had the same destination.

No doubt about it.

Marriage is also work, sometimes very hard work. Giving that 100% is not always a walk in the park and sometimes it takes true grit. Plus no human is perfect and from time to time the 100% ends up being 95%. And sometimes we enter the battlefield like it or not. But the payoff is always worth the result if you truly love one another and are committed to having a wonderful life together.

@Sentry18 I think an age difference is better in this day and age. I didn't understand why men tended to marry women who were younger than themselves as a general rule other than the beauty part. Then I got married to a woman who's exactly 2 months and 2 days older than I am... and it boils down to one thing... respect. I think it's easier for a woman to respect a man who's older than her. This is just from observing marriages in my family though.

@Sentry18 I think an age difference is better in this day and age. I didn't understand why men tended to marry women who were younger than themselves as a general rule other than the beauty part. Then I got married to a woman who's exactly 2 months and 2 days older than I am... and it boils down to one thing... respect. I think it's easier for a woman to respect a man who's older than her. This is just from observing marriages in my family though.

My wife was young when we met & married, but she was very mature and intelligent for her age. She completed HS in 3 years and was already in college when she turned 17. When I was in my mid-20's I was still all about short term dating without commitment and putting the hardest bad guys behind bars. I took unnecessary risks and did not see myself as mortal. It took a knife in my abdomen (with no back up in sight) and breaking numerous bones in my left hand (on the guy who stabbed me) to realize I wasn't. I used to tell people that the lovely Mrs. Sentry18 and I were 'virtually' the same age since she was 5 years too mature for her age and I was 5 years immature for mine.

By the way we were already married and had been a short time when I was stabbed. She never spoke one word of fear or worry, even when a boss showed up at our door to let her know I was in the ER. I had to have surgery where several pins were inserted to hold my finger bones together and I had to have them pulled out once the bones were set. The Doctor told me I would need a local anesthetic before he pulled the pins. I told him no because I was carrying a gun and because I did not like being under the influence of drugs (prescription or otherwise). He tried to talk me into the anesthetics again, but again I refused. The nurse tried as well but I held firm. He clamped my hand down and used a tool that looked almost like a claw hammer to hook onto the plastic balls on top of the pins and pried them out one at a time. I never winced or made a sound. The Doctor looked at me, smiled and said something about my being the toughest patient he ever had. The Doc and the nurse walked out of the room. I turned to my wife and dropped to me knees. I put my arms around her and squeezed her and told her that the pain was unreal and it felt like someone pulled my guts out through my fingers. My wife lifted my chin so I could look her right in the eyes and said "Suck it up buttercup, YOU'RE supposed to be MY rock". I stood up, dusted off the knees of my pants and kissed her on the forehead. And every day since then, I assure you, I have been her rock.

Skittles, I can see where you may get the impression that age is a main factor in respect. I have to disagree. My wife is 6 years older than me. We both give and earn respect. I am very careful in my replies when we have a disagreement (I can and did go for the throat-verbally - in my past relationships) and my wife is very good about apologizing after a disagreement. I don't usually have to apologize because I shut up before I say something to regret or apologize for. I don't think respect is age related, except in children or childish people. Communication is a life long skill set and many folks need to increase this ability. We have 2 ears and just 1 mouth. listen twice as much to your spouse and spend half as much time telling her your view point. If you can't sell your view point, then either the message is wrong OR the method of delivering the message is WRONG.

Too many people spend time and effort trying to change or convert others to the Right Way of thinking or doing things. Did you know there are over 254 ways to wash the dishes and each one of them gets the dishes clean? University study (tax payer funded of course), I forget which University did the study. Look for the method that works for both.

Skittles, I can see where you may get the impression that age is a main factor in respect. I have to disagree. My wife is 6 years older than me. We both give and earn respect. I am very careful in my replies when we have a disagreement (I can and did go for the throat-verbally - in my past relationships) and my wife is very good about apologizing after a disagreement. I don't usually have to apologize because I shut up before I say something to regret or apologize for. I don't think respect is age related, except in children or childish people. Communication is a life long skill set and many folks need to increase this ability. We have 2 ears and just 1 mouth. listen twice as much to your spouse and spend half as much time telling her your view point. If you can't sell your view point, then either the message is wrong OR the method of delivering the message is WRONG.

Too many people spend time and effort trying to change or convert others to the Right Way of thinking or doing things. Did you know there are over 254 ways to wash the dishes and each one of them gets the dishes clean? University study (tax payer funded of course), I forget which University did the study. Look for the method that works for both.

LOL to the part in red.

Thank you for the perspective. I do appreciate it.

We have an unlikely marriage, first off the age difference I'm 17 years the elder. She was raised Catholic and I come from a Baptist family. I'm a hard ass she and in turn is a sweet hart. She was raised in town by a wonderful family not what you would call self sufficient type people but nice folks. My family are all straight up hill people. She is extremely pretty young woman I'm a rough looking 50 year old man.
We work together everyday so that being said we share all household chores equally. We keep our nose to the the grindstone always trying to improve our lives as a team effort. We know a massive amount of people though we are both loner types so not only are we lovers we are best friends. I've been blessed to marry someone I consider my best friend! This is our 10th year together and our common goal is to raise our son to be a well rounded good man Life is simple and opposites really do attract. Long Live Team Redford!

A long time ago some writer wrote a movie called " Love Story". One line was ' love means never having to say your sorry'.
I got news for him, love means always having to say your sorry if you should be sorry.
My hubby thinks sorry or apology ends with a' but ' sometimes. :mad:. And doesn't understand why I'm even madder at him than I was before he apologized.:dunno:. No if's and's and but's should ever be in an apology that puts the blame back on the one you've already violated somehow.:angie:
I say im sorry..... Even have a few values and a couple of those morals. But the difference is i don't have to say im sorry to my wife very often. One she is usually right, so why argue? Two we get along very very well. I back her and she backs me 100 percent. I have backed her against my own family even when i knew she was a little in the wrong. She's my wife, i will do anything for her, get her anything, build her anything, say yes to anything, whatever, because she would do the same for me and she cares what happens to me. Loosing her is not optional. My wife is an amazing person!!

Last edited by a moderator:
More than 40 years ago my wife said I do. We vowed for better, worse, richer, poorer, sickness and health. I thought knew what that meant but I had no clue. We have been through them all and more. It’s been a wild ride at times but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Most of what I know about marriage was learned through hard experience and a lot of bible study and modelling by godly people

Sorry Sentry, you even said no religion. I don't always follow rules well. See what my wife has to deal with! Please delete as you see fit.

That's okay. I want to keep this available for everyone so once again, please keep this discussion about relationships. I know that often means faith comes in to play. If someone feels it must be a part of the conversion please start a new post in the faith section. Thanks.

Faith is not offensive or at least not to me. Simply mentioning that you use faith to help guide you in your relationships is not preaching. Now if somebody insisted that everybody MUST have a religious faith to have a good relationship, then I would have to jump into the debate. Whatever method each person uses to guide them into being a better life partner, then I am all for it.

Unfortunately merely mentioning it was not the issue and the posts violating community standards have been edited or removed. Faith debates and discussions are reserved for the faith section of the forum. This is the front porch section for non-faith and non-political discussion.
thumbup.gif

There is a book called 7 keys to a long term relationship success. It is a secular book based on Pyschology, but interestingly enough many of the precepts are mirrored in scripture. Which is often the case. The precepts can be discussed without debating the validity or alternatives to psychology or faith. Here are the 7 keys the book discusses (also found in an this article by the author):

1. Do you trust your partner?
2. Are you and your partner compatible in all areas of intimacy?
3. Who are you within this relationship?
4. Does your partners communication lift you up or tear you down?
5. How do you and your partner deal with conflict?
6. How do you and your partner handle external adversity?
7. Do you have compatible financial values?

51 years and 4 months ago,
2 kids, said their "I do's"

We fought, we argued, we just had a hard time adjusting,.... 2 kids living together.

But, adjust we did,
It was especially hard after I got home ..nightmares of the jungle.

We worked thru all that, and became each others best friend and a solid rock to lean on for each other.
It boiled down to give and take from both of us.

I'd say for the last 40+ years at least, we are one spirit, one mind .
We think alike, we have the same likes, the rest of the world is secondary when it comes to US....it's all about US.

We are one...we absolutely know what each other is thinking.

The only thing we disgree on now is... which one is going be the one left behind.
I believe she will do much better than me if I go first...of course she thinks I would be the one that would do better

Thats the hardest thing we can even imagine.

We are not sure we even knew what love was 51 years ago...
but we sure do now., every year, every month, every day , it just gets stronger.

Jim
PS, I'm betting my wife would have written the same thing.

Trust is the foundation of any good relationship. If you trust your partner then respect comes easily. I demand respect in everything I do or say. I also remain trustworthy and expect trust from those close to me. If someone can't trust me then they are likely not trustworthy. I trust easily but in stages.
The relationship that my wife and I share is different from the norms but it fits us well and we each grow and love within our relationship. I provide security for her and that includes taking the responsibility for our relationships success. She supports my role by following my lead. Communication within the trust is second in importance. You have to listen to know what is needed. Listen first - you have two ears and one mouth so listening is important. If you don't say what you need or express your desires then your partner is lost.

Trust is the foundation of any good relationship. If you trust your partner then respect comes easily. I demand respect in everything I do or say. I also remain trustworthy and expect trust from those close to me. If someone can't trust me then they are likely not trustworthy. I trust easily but in stages.
The relationship that my wife and I share is different from the norms but it fits us well and we each grow and love within our relationship. I provide security for her and that includes taking the responsibility for our relationships success. She supports my role by following my lead. Communication within the trust is second in importance. You have to listen to know what is needed. Listen first - you have two ears and one mouth so listening is important. If you don't say what you need or express your desires then your partner is lost.
Your situation is a perfect example of why some unions work and others don't. My husband and I never would have survived in a relationship like yours just because our personalities do not allow for it.

Yes, we are each individuals and we need to find the complement to make a relationship work. Trust is important in any relationship though. Without trust there can be no relationship. Love is never enough by itself.

51 years and 4 months ago,
2 kids, said their "I do's"

We fought, we argued, we just had a hard time adjusting,.... 2 kids living together.

But, adjust we did,
It was especially hard after I got home ..nightmares of the jungle.

We worked thru all that, and became each others best friend and a solid rock to lean on for each other.
It boiled down to give and take from both of us.

I'd say for the last 40+ years at least, we are one spirit, one mind .
We think alike, we have the same likes, the rest of the world is secondary when it comes to US....it's all about US.

We are one...we absolutely know what each other is thinking.

The only thing we disgree on now is... which one is going be the one left behind.
I believe she will do much better than me if I go first...of course she thinks I would be the one that would do better

Thats the hardest thing we can even imagine.

We are not sure we even knew what love was 51 years ago...
but we sure do now., every year, every month, every day , it just gets stronger.

Jim
PS, I'm betting my wife would have written the same thing.

You must be the same age as my parents they were married 50 years in June. My dad struggled with nightmares and sleepless nights. When he would go to sleep the only person that could wake him was my mother because he woke up fighting. I don't think he's had nightmares much in years but if you want get punched in the face go startle that old codger when he's sleeping. Vietnam was really hard on their relationship but I think they're stronger for it now.

Latest posts

Back