Micro Greens, anyone eat them, grow them?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about starting some micro greens to eat. From what i understand they are more nutritious than sprouts.
Was just wondering if anyone has any tips for a newbie.
Are these the kind you grow inside? I want to grow greens in my apartment. I have big windows and think some herbs and greens would be good in here. I am reading a book on it now and hope to get started on it.

https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/grow-microgreens/7987.html
It's where you harvest the greens of seeds when they're about 2 inches tall but just cutting them off. Also called vegetable confetti.
The linked article/website says seeds from broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and sunflower and others can be used.
The link tells you how to do it.

In a SHTF situation, microgreens and sprouts would be great if you've got the seed and no fresh greens available, even just for wintertime.

Have you seen them in the store? Yikes, they are expensive. I read they are more nutritious than sprouts, so I am going to try to grow them. Figured with winter around the corner, I wont have to use as much lettuce if I have my own greens.

I enjoyed growing Taiwan Peas in my greenhouse when I was able to use it....they grew fast, just clip them off...so yummy in salads or sandwiches...

000_0562.jpg

I've looked at a number of videos online. It is definitely cheaper to grow your own than to buy a salad mix at the grocery store. And you know how old it is, how it's been handled, and what it's been grown in and (not) sprayed with.

Seeds can be bought in bulk and that helps with the cost of it. Getting set up with the soil and the trays will cost a little something. But really, it's not so bad.

Depending upon what it is you want to grow, there seeds that will have a usable and harvestable leaf in about 2 weeks. I can imagine a rotation of these things going most all of the time.

It's something I'd like to try. I've been busy enough with the garden outside that I haven't really taken much time for anything more than starting things to plant out in the garden. Always way more things to do than time to do them...

Latest posts

Back