Mixed drinks.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Also called Toddies
What’s your favorite?
I sip Burbon straight up with out a chaser
My choice for a imixed drink is a pineapple vodka slushy
Mix pineapple juice and vodka
Put it in the freezer til it freezes
The vodka will not freeze and you wind up with a slushy

I like trailer park margaritas:
1 cup of Mt. Dew.
1 cup of grapefruit juice.
the juice of half a lime.
1/4 cup of tequila.
Mix in a mason jar with a salted rim full of hammered ice.

Liquid heart attack/ liquid heart attack lite.
1 Monster mocha (regular non-energy drink mocha for the lite.)
1 shot glass full of spiced rum.
Lots of crushed ice.

Mint Julep, trailer trash style.
A heaping tablespoon of mint jelly melted in the microwave in a splash of water.
A double shot of bourbon.
2 crushed mint leaves.
Mix into a pint glass with ice and ice cold 7 UP.

Snake bites. NOT for guzzling!!!
In a gallon whiskey bottle mix:
1 pint of 100-proof peppermint schnapps.
1 pint of 100-proof cinnamon liqueur, (DO NOT USE FIREBALL! YOU WILL HATE IT!) I use Hot damn ONLY!
1/2 a pint of Jagermeister.
1 pint of 40% vodka.
Serve fresh from the freezer with a springwater chaser, now here is the kicker! Use the water and you get a blissful, tingly high, forget the water and bazooka barf for three days!
Note: this drink served straight has medicinal properties that help lung and sinus congestion, use in moderation.

Black and blue.
1/2 Jagermeister.
1/2 Blue Sky vodka.
Springwater chaser, or wake up with the livestock in your waterbed!

Jackass.
1 shot of spiced rum.
1 shot of Jagermeister.
1 can of root beer.
LOTS of crushed ice.
More than three will turn you into a...

This thread is certainly up my alley. I can give you a drink recipe for every occasion. Call it 17 years experience in a prior life.

I am a Scotch drinker. Before dinner my choice is a Dry Rob Roy with a twist (basically a Scotch martini). For casual occasions Scoth and club soda or Scotch and water. Settling down at home it would be Scotch on the rocks. After dinner is a whole separate category.

Put in your requests, and I will send you a recipe.

This is a good one; the traditional recipe for a New Orleans Hurricane. It came from Pat O'Brien's bar in New Orleans during WW!!, and was so named for the glass it was served in, not the weather. Very refreshing drink for Summer.

Here a a couple of tips. Simple syrup is sugar water. When a recipe calls for lemon juice and simple syrup use lemonade or sweet and sour mix.

Traditional Hurricane Recipe​

• 2 oz. light rum
  • 2 oz. dark rum
  • 2 oz. passion fruit juice
  • 1 oz. orange juice
  • ½ oz. fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon simple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon grenadine
  • Garnish: orange slice and cherry

I never understood mixing scotch with anything, who'd want to mask the taste?
Gimmie a rob roy recipe. :)

A traditonal Rob Roy is Scotch and Sweet Vermouth. Make it just like a Martini a three or four to one ratio. There is no right or wrong. Whatever your hero liquor is, use more of that.

I don't care for Sweet Vermouth (and believe me, it doesn't care for me) so I make mine dry with just a touch of dry vermouth. If I order one in a bar or restaurant I can tell by the color if they have made it properly.

A quick bartender's note: A traditional Manhatten is bourbon and sweet vermouth. A Perfect Manhattan is bourbon and half sweet and half dry vermouth. Same for a Rob Roy, just substitute Scoth for Bourbon.

I totally agree with your assessment of Scotch. The only thing it needs is a little ice.

Bourbon and lemonade is the original Whisky Sour. Put it in a blender with ice, and it makes a really nice slush. Give it a little grenadine for color just to be fancy. :thumbs:

Brandy on a large ice cube is my usual drink of choice. Every now and then I'll have a Long Island Tea. Maybe a Margherita with Mexican food.

Morgan I've been wanting to try out Cognac. Any suggestions on which one?

My personal favorite is Courvosier, but Hennessy and Remy Martin are also excellent.

A quick primer on Cognac: The designations are determined by age from harvest. VS - Very Special, 2 years old; VSOP - Very Superior Old Pale, 4 years old; XO - Extra Old, 6 years at least.

Cognac, and all brandies are actually a wine made from grapes.

My personal favorite is Courvosier, but Hennessy and Remy Martin are also excellent.

A quick primer on Cognac: The designations are determined by age from harvest. VS - Very Special, 2 years old; VSOP - Very Superior Old Pale, 4 years old; XO - Extra Old, 6 years at least.

Cognac, and all brandies are actually a wine made from grapes.

Courvosier is what our small local store carries. I went in a bigger store and was blown away and confused at all the brands of Cognac and brandy. Figured better to ask first. I'm wanting at least VSOP, or XO.
Isn't Cognac particular to an area of france?

Brandy is distilled wine... there are also "fortified wines" like Madeira & Sherry which include distilled wine. I like Courvoisier or Hennessey when it comes to cognac, with an orange slice (or round) on the rim of the glass. :cool:

For mixed drinks, I like Margaritas of all flavors: strawberry, peach, whatever. A Bloody Mary made with pepper Stoli , a little lemon juice & actual hot peppers like Jalapenos is mighty tasty. Otherwise, gimme rocket fuel, lol... :oops:

Last edited:
When I drank hard liquor my favorite was bourbon straight, not even ice.
Jim Beam was my buddy, Jack Daniels was passable in a pinch.
Cabin Still Kentucky Wiskey was excellent.

Courvosier is what our small local store carries. I went in a bigger store and was blown away and confused at all the brands of Cognac and brandy. Figured better to ask first. I'm wanting at least VSOP, or XO.
Isn't Cognac particular to an area of france?

That is correct. Cognac comes from the Cognac region of France, and is made from a very specific type of grape. Brandies can be made from any type of fruit, but most commonly made from grapes.

When I drank hard liquor my favorite was bourbon straight, not even ice.
Jim Beam was my buddy, Jack Daniels was passable in a pinch.
Cabin Still Kentucky Wiskey was excellent.
Hubby and I occasionally like a shot of whiskey. Gentleman Jack is in our liquor cabinet.

I’ve been liking Bloody Mary’s in the evening on occasion.

I like Bloody Mary's at lunchtime. Have you ever tried a Bloody Ceasar? They are a favorite in Canada. Use Clamato juice insted of tomato juice. I like them a lot. Refreshing change.

I like brandies better than most wines, they taste better to me and don't give me a sour stomach... I can drink wine, but I usually only have a glass or two. I like wine coolers too, those don't give me the sour stomach unless I drink 'em to excess. Something about wine doesn't sit as well with my G-I tract as beer does, lol... maybe it's the sulfites, I read somewhere that most wines made today have sulfites in 'em? 🤔

Edit: I just Googled "sulfites in wine" and sure enough, stomach trouble is included as a possible side effect, lol. Evidently, a wino can buy "sulfite removers" to treat wine... sounds like too much trouble for this kid, I'll stick with beer, lol. ;)

Its been years since I had a bloody mary. Need give them a try again. Wonder how they would be with V8 juice instead of tomato? Maybe spicy V8?
I have had them with both V8 and Spicy V8. Both were very good. I always add a bit of celery salt. But we have a bottle of Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix in the fridge right now. It’s a bit peppery.

Attachments

• IMG_8818.png
    IMG_8818.png
    682.1 KB · Views: 0
Its been years since I had a bloody mary. Need give them a try again. Wonder how they would be with V8 juice instead of tomato? Maybe spicy V8?

V-8 works great im a Bloody Mary. There are really no rules in Mixology. If you like it that is all that matters. That's where the term "Hero Liquor" comes from. If you like it, and want to use more of it, feel free. The rules narrow down a bit when you are serving the public, and they have an expectation, and you want to keep them happy. In your own house? Go crazy folks!! Whatever you want.

The guys at the surf shop knew an Australian who made the best Bloody Mary mix ever... dunno what brand of tomato juice he used, but he added sliced lemon, jalapeno, and various spices for flavor. Man, were those Bloody Mary drinks good! I recommend this to those who like to spice things up a bit: add lemon slices and jalapeno chunks to your Bloody Mary mix, they add nice flavor! Ya don't have to eat 'em, lol, but I always macked the thick jalapeno slices... delicious! :cool:

Well while we're at it, Morgan whats your best recipe for bloody Mary's

I use tomato juice, Tobasco sauce, Worchestshire sauce, salt and pepper. Vary the sauces to suit your taste. I like to coat the rim with celery salt, and garnish with a lime and a celery stick. Some people use olives, but I don't care for olives.

This recipe is simple, and it is stuff you usually have in the house. No need to get special ingredients.

Mr & Mrs T's Bloody Mary mix is excellent if you want to make it easy.

I totally agree with your assessment of Scotch. The only thing it needs is a little ice.
If its a fine enough malt, anything below 60 degrees is blasphemy!
I miss my youth, when I could sit in my easy chair with a cigar and Famous Grouse or JW
black label and watch the night roll in.

I generally take my liquor neat, or over ice. I like single malt scotch neat, Glenfiddich is my go to brand. I like Buffalo Trace bourbon on the rocks. I also like Patron tequila, but I prefer it in a shot, with salt and a lime wedge.

In my mis-spent youth, I drank Jim Beam and diet Mountain Dew. My buddies called it "The F*****g Stupid". It got that name because it's a perfect description of how I acted when I drank it...

This thread is certainly up my alley. I can give you a drink recipe for every occasion. Call it 17 years experience in a prior life.

I am a Scotch drinker. Before dinner my choice is a Dry Rob Roy with a twist (basically a Scotch martini). For casual occasions Scoth and club soda or Scotch and water. Settling down at home it would be Scotch on the rocks. After dinner is a whole separate category.

Put in your requests, and I will send you a recipe.
I worked as a bartender in college, in settings from fine restaurants to taverns to pizza bars to nightclubs. I used to know every crappy shot and fancy mixed drink. You and I could probably wipe out every member here with the drinks we could make!🤣

I worked as a bartender in college, in settings from fine restaurants to taverns to pizza bars to nightclubs. I used to know every crappy shot and fancy mixed drink. You and I could probably wipe out every member here with the drinks we could make!🤣

Much the same for me. I started in college then worked as a part-time job for 12 years after we were married. Worked everything from local neighborhood taverns to country clubs, One of the country clubs is a whole story unto itself. Once I made a drink I never forgot it. It was like it got into my hands, and stayed in my head. I onlty had to make it once. Kind of weird.

You are right. We could probably knock this forum on its ear with all the drinks we could make., and have more fun than the law allows. Magus, you and Wingnut are welcome to join in. 🤣

Latest posts

Back