Mixed drinks.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally take my liquor neat, or over ice. I like single malt scotch neat, Glenfiddich is my go to brand. I like Buffalo Trace bourbon on the rocks. I also like Patron tequila, but I prefer it in a shot, with salt and a lime wedge.

Excellent choices. I like to drink Jameson neat, and have a bottle of 10 year old Bushmills to die for. I also drink that neat. Scotch is my fist choice, but Irish Whiskey is a close second. Every once in a while I will sneak in a Ketel One on the rocks. We used to call that Razor Blade Soup.

I used to love it when someone would order Vodka or Gin in a rocks glass with a splash of tonic. We used to call that "I'm an alcoholic but won't admit it"

Excellent choices. I like to drink Jameson neat, and have a bottle of 10 year old Bushmills to die for. I also drink that neat. Scotch is my fist choice, but Irish Whiskey is a close second. Every once in a while I will sneak in a Ketel One on the rocks. We used to call that Razor Blade Soup.

I used to love it when someone would order Vodka or Gin in a rocks glass with a splash of tonic. We used to call that "I'm an alcoholic but won't admit it"
Been many years since I drank Bushmills. Used to be my drink of choice

Now that weed is legal here, I know many, MANY drinks starting with infused liquors. Put an inch-long bud in a pint of hot Saki for a month, mix in orange juice with a hint of ginger and nutmeg, blend, and serve over crushed ice.

Yellow Russians:
Make lemonade with infused vodka and serve ice cold.

My tastes have changed since I started distilling, I prefer a nice smoky woody taste now and I sip my bourbon straight with out a chaser. 40 % is water in my opinion And over 100 proof the bite takes away from the taste. 60/70 proof is just right for me

I'm going to drop a chili pepper and an onion wedge into a half pint of tequila, I'll let you know...
Done that and it is good!!
I ‘be made dragon juice, jalapeño and shine, longer it sits the hotter it gets

Bloody Caesar (a Bloody Mary, but with Clamato instead of tomato juice...lighter):
  1. Clamato
  2. Worcestershire Sauce
  3. Lemon Juice
  4. Tabasco
  5. and Vodka...of course.
Love them. My grandfather made these for the family all the time. He called them Bloody Mary's. So, we remember him when we drink them.

Cognac: I stick with XO. Smoother. You can get a very reasonably priced Cognac at Costco, Kirkland XO Cognac. I kid you not...it is not bad. I'd rather have Kirkland brand XO cognac than a VSOP from Hennessy or Remy.

My go to mixed drink right now, when I am out, is Makers Mark, on the rocks, with club soda. You still get the bourbon flavor (the club soda is flavorless), but it is easier to drink and refreshing. When I drink bourbon straight, I drink Woodford Reserve.

Morgan: What is your Scotch of choice? If I want the peat and smoke, to sip, for me it is Lagavulin. I don't think I would mix that with anything. Although, a BBQ place nearby has a scotch mixed drink based on Laphroig, which is really good...kind of a scotch sour with salted rim like a margarita...goes well with BBQ, and was my football game day drink at home for a few years...I just use a cheaper smokey Scotch.

My parents and in-laws are Manhattan drinkers.

Last edited:
I like Bloody Mary's at lunchtime. Have you ever tried a Bloody Ceasar? They are a favorite in Canada. Use Clamato juice insted of tomato juice. I like them a lot. Refreshing change.
Ah...I just saw this after I posted. You beat me in posting about the Bloody Caesar. Good stuff.

I don't always drink, but when I do, I drink straight Scotch.
Also drink bloody Mary's occasionally. I like my special 7 pepper mix in the tomato juice and a couple of my spicy pickle spears.
I hardly ever drink liquor anymore, but when I do, it is always a double Crown Royal and Coke. :thumbs:
5168756792_85f74455dc_c.jpg

It is wonderful, but I got way too friendly with it in the past:(.

Last edited:
Morgan: What is your Scotch of choice? If I want the peat and smoke, to sip, for me it is Lagavulin. I don't think I would mix that with anything. Although, a BBQ place nearby has a scotch mixed drink based on Laphroig, which is really good...kind of a scotch sour with salted rim like a margarita...goes well with BBQ, and was my football game day drink at home for a few years...I just use a cheaper smokey Scotch.

For an every day drink when you know you are going to have a few Johnny Walker Black or Chivas Regal would be my first choices. When I want a good single malt I like Macallan or Glen Morangie.

Some day I would like to splurge and get some Johnny Walker Blue. I really don't know if my pallet could tell the difference.

For an every day drink when you know you are going to have a few Johnny Walker Black or Chivas Regal would be my first choices. When I want a good single malt I like Macallan or Glen Morangie.

Some day I would like to splurge and get some Johnny Walker Blue. I really don't know if my pallet could tell the difference.
I like Johnny Walker Black as well. I used to drink Macallan and Balvenie when I liked more mild scotches.

Did a blind taste test with some friends: very expensive Blantons and reasonable priced Woodford Reserve.

Without knowing which was which, my friend and I both decided we liked the Woodford! (It was our first time trying the Blantons, which was mild and drinkable, but it did have a little rubbing alcohol note, and since it was so mild, there were not any strong flavors to compensate for that. The Woodford had several complex flavors which fought for your attention, and covered for the alcohol...which was still there, of course, but it was part of a greater overall experience.

Might want to splurge at a bar sometime, and just pay for a glass of JW Blue, rather than the whole bottle. I suspect I would like the Black better than the more expensive Blue...but I know the Black is definitely better than the cheaper Red (IMO), so there is a clear pay off for increases in price initially. The only question is, when do you get diminishing returns?

I served some special occassion $160 cognac and the $45 Kirkland cognac, both XO's, to a friend, and he picked the Kirkland as his favorite. It has a creamy note which gives it more substance that the more expensive one lacked. (The more expensive one was still good, mind you.) You just have to try things. Increasing price is not always a guarantee of better. Taste is subjective.

Just now made this, it's GOT to go with rum!
I'm making coffee, I add my chocolate syrup and start to add my cream and discovered it is ruined, Milk is iffy as well. (kitty, kitty, kitty!) And I see this can of coconut concentrate...
If I ran this stuff through a blender and served it over slushed ice it would be the bomb!

Latest posts

Back