Mr. Planty the Pothos

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When I was in elementary school, 3rd grade I believe, my mom did some temporary holiday work at business that shared it's building with a small floral shop. I was there visiting with her after school when the woman who owned the floral shop asked me to take a nearly dead pothos plant out to the dumpster as I was leaving in exchange for a piece of candy. I accepted the task and the candy, but instead of throwing it away I took it home. I knew nothing about plants but I watered it and put it in my window. It got a little better, but not much. My mom saw it and she helped me change out the dirt, put some fertilizer in it and put it in a better pot. We watered it, gave it lots of sun and it started to grow and grow. We took off some leaves, rooted them and made the plant even thicker. I named it Mr. Planty and other than a couple near death experiences, a few rebirths and a couple different pots, it has been with me ever since. I don't have or want any other plants, but Mr. Planty has somewhere around 60 or 7o offspring scattered around the Midwest including most of my children's bedrooms.

pothos1.jpg

When I was in elementary school, 3rd grade I believe, my mom did some temporary holiday work at business that shared it's building with a small floral shop. I was there visiting with her after school when the woman who owned the floral shop asked me to take a nearly dead pothos plant out to the dumpster as I was leaving in exchange for a piece of candy. I accepted the task and the candy, but instead of throwing it away I took it home. I knew nothing about plants but I watered it and put it in my window. It got a little better, but not much. My mom saw it and she helped me change out the dirt, put some fertilizer in it and put it in a better pot. We watered it, gave it lots of sun and it started to grow and grow. We took off some leaves, rooted them and made the plant even thicker. I named it Mr. Planty and other than a couple near death experiences, a few rebirths and a couple different pots, it has been with me ever since. I don't have or want any other plants, but Mr. Planty has somewhere around 60 or 7o offspring scattered around the Midwest including most of my children's bedrooms.

View attachment 1799
Awesome! i have an ivy also but its solid green leaves. It was my parents wedding gift 51 years ago. Still going strong, i hope to hand it down to my kids someday.

OK, so I have orchids that will bloom for months at a time. But give me what are supposed to be "easy" plants and somehow I kill them. Until now I convinced myself they were just short lived type plants but reading not one but two stories of easy to grow plants flourishing so many years later and I have to accept it was me that did it. I was a plant killer.

OK, so I have orchids that will bloom for months at a time. But give me what are supposed to be "easy" plants and somehow I kill them. Until now I convinced myself they were just short lived type plants but reading not one but two stories of easy to grow plants flourishing so many years later and I have to accept it was me that did it. I was a plant killer.

I house sit for a family that literally two rooms of their house they have trailed the walls with the arms of ONE of these. They live forever!

I used to have one that just had the roots hanging down in our 65 gallon aquarium. It was quite large when it finally died. We were out of state when the power went out and the plant froze. I lost all my house plants and fish that week.

We have an atrium room off of the kitchen and have a few of those growing and a ficus tree.
I lost my ficus tree this year. Had it for 17years. There used to be one growing in a park down in McAllen TX. It was about 30ft tall and beautiful. It froze back around 2004ish....

View attachment 1799

We have one that looks just like it hanging in living room.

View attachment 1799

Just took this pic of ours,
ujxLH6S.jpg

m2Qbyud.jpg

My wife is a 'plant rescuer'! She likes to go to Home Depot and Lowe's to buy nearly dead plants on the clearance cart and nurse them back to health.

Is that what these are? I have 2 that look exactly the sa

View attachment 1799
Are these the same type of plant? They are both inherited.

Attachments

• 20180109_103519-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180109_103519-COLLAGE.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 67
The two ivy are a cutting from a plant that belonged to my grandmother that my dad grew and then a cutting from that. In parts they have a Rosy tint. I water once a week ( to 10 days) they are in little pots.

The middle plant is one my mom left here when she moved. Don't know what it is but it too has pink in it's leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_162308.jpg
    IMG_20180112_162308.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20180112_162250.jpg
    IMG_20180112_162250.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
The two ivy are a cutting from a plant that belonged to my grandmother that my dad grew and then a cutting from that. In parts they have a Rosy tint. I water once a week ( to 10 days) they are in little pots.

The middle plant is one my mom left here when she moved. Don't know what it is but it too has pink in it's leaves.
The plant with the sagittate (arrow shaped) leaves is: Syngonium podophyllum or the Goosefoot Plant / Nephthytis. https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/syngonium

I like to buy the half dead plants on sale too.
Me, too. I also like to ask people for a small piece of plants to start new ones. I will take plants that other people are throwing out as well.

I have also given away many plants that I usually had more than one of and starts of plants.

I have had as many as 50 houseplants that someone said they would take care of for me while I was gone to school for the summer. I never saw them again. All I ever got was excuses.

Me, too. I also like to ask people for a small piece of plants to start new ones. I will take plants that other people are throwing out as well.

I have also given away many plants that I usually had more than one of and starts of plants.

I have had as many as 50 houseplants that someone said they would take care of for me while I was gone to school for the summer. I never saw them again. All I ever got was excuses.

You can get great deals and give a ways on plants, one persons trash is another persons treasure.

You can get great deals and give a ways on plants, one persons trash is another persons treasure.

When the two local colleges get out in the spring, you can drive around and see piles of stuff laying out by the curb of the rental houses and apartments. There are usually a lot of semi-dead plants in those piles.

1515841481937-230766119.jpg
1515841514928-1491865835.jpg
15158415562711907357836.jpg
15158416136881465033215.jpg
15158416780422009183682.jpg
1515841701504-1209094251.jpg
1515841773041-221996988.jpg
I like to consider my self to have a bit of a green thumb in the garden, But with house plants I'm clueless. I only had the one I've I cut from my dad's plant till we bought this place. Then I inherited several plants my mom didn't take.

I asked her what they were and she doesn't know. Lol. So this is three plants with various views do if anyone out there knows what they are and the best way to care for them I'd really appreciate it. The last pic especially, is a pic of these furry shoots that grow off this plant but no leaves come off them . My mom said she would just cut them off. When they got too long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back