My ignored prep - shaving

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so funny. I did that once....sorta. I have a long handlebar mustache that I wax everyday. Well, about a year or so ago, I was relighting a cigar stub that I held in my teeth. The next thing I knew was my mustache was up in flames. I guess that fire and mustache wax don't mix. View attachment 77028
Great pic! some people should never have facial hair, other where made for it & here is an good example of someone who should have a bread.

I just use water. Wet my face n cheap razor n scrape away. Glad I have a light beard. Just out of shower is best.
My beautiful wife likes a smooth face so that's that

Yep, still thinking hot soapy water with a quality blade is the ticket when the cream runs out. I’ll research and try some of the suggestions. At the end of the day, I know hot soapy water works.

I use liquid dish soap. That is my body wash, hand soap, shampoo and shaving cream. I have disposable twin blade, safety razor and three knives I can shave with. My axes and hatchets aren't kept that sharp and the other good knives are kitchen knives.

I use liquid dish soap. That is my body wash, hand soap, shampoo and shaving cream. I have disposable twin blade, safety razor and three knives I can shave with. My axes and hatchets aren't kept that sharp and the other good knives are kitchen knives.
Doesn't that dry you out, @SheepDog ? Dish soap strips all the oil out of my skin and hair. It's not like I wouldn't use it if it was my only choice, but I get lizard skin if I wash with it...

When K shaves his face he uses the shaving soap. I scoured the clearance racks and web for the cheapest deals I could find. I have over 48 bars stashed away. They take up less than a third of a plastic tote. There are a couple cheap ceramic mugs in the tote with a bunch of various razors (safety and Gillette style). Still room for K's toiletries and grooming supplies we keep extras.

Funny thing is...

K has a full beard and no longer shaves.
They are now barter items.

I've used it since I was 17. Your skin is alive and produces as much oil as it needs. Remember that all the skin that shows is already dead just like all the hair that is not buried in your skin. Dish soap is made to remove oil and dirt and then rinse away cleanly. It has never hurt me except when I get it in my eyes , in the shower. It rinses out fast and doesn't leave with red eyes.

I was looking through the family photo alblum from the 1800s. Nearly all the guys had beards. Grandma Cole didnt have a beard but she had a cigar.

The disposable shavers dont work well for me. I go through at least a couple per shave and then it feels like it is pulling the whiskers out and it causes a rash of sorts

Tough whiskers is a family trait. My brother was a MP in the air force. He got special permission to shave every three days

I too have had at least a mustache since the early 70's. The beards in a host of varieties have come and gone. I often shave in the shower, and it is good enough. If there was a true TEOTWAWKI shaving would be the least of my worries. I wouldn't care if I never shaved again.

...I have over 48 bars stashed away. ...They are now barter items.

Realize yer talking about "shaving soap", but.. Just a quick side, that "regular bar soap" is Also a good 'deep-stacker' - If you 'stack wisely', ie: "Zote" is really a solid '2 fer 1', because it's both great for Laundry (whole-bar, and/or 'cheese-gratered-up' + Borax, etc), and Skin.. Toss back plenty of Fels-Naptha, as well, for tougher-stains / dish-soap, etc.. But Not long-term shaving, oww.. ;) I'm sure I must be 'preaching to the Choir', here, tho.. :)

We also stack/pack lots of 'Olive Oil soap', as it's Great for dry-tendency skin, full-body, + Shaving, and rinses clean with Cold water, as well as Hot..

jd

I grew a mustache when I was young so I would look older. I tried but it wasn't much. I don't remember why I shaved it off but it's been years.
I did grow a beard a few years ago. One morning my wife said "you didn't shave." I said maybe I'll grow a beard, she said NO you won't. So of course I had to grow one then. It lasted a few months and I proved my point so I shaved.

Looking on Amazon the shaving soap looks horribly expensive. Note the comment in my OP that I was looking for a more cost friendly alternative to stashing away shaving cream.

How long does a bar of shaving soap last compared to a can of shaving cream?

Looking on Amazon the shaving soap looks horribly expensive. Note the comment in my OP that I was looking for a more cost friendly alternative to stashing away shaving cream.

The Williams shaving soap isn't that expensive. You should be able to find for less than $4 somewhere.

In my experience the shave soap lasts longer but ymmv. Also, in my opinion shave soap is better than cheapo shaving cream like Barbasol, but not as good as the expensive stuff like Fusion...

…If there was a true TEOTWAWKI shaving would be the least of my worries. I wouldn't care if I never shaved again.

I agree. There will be higher priorities then a smooth face.

Seeing a shaved face would make a person wonder what other luxury items smooth face might have.

Last edited:
That really depends on how DW prizes a smooth face.😍
Well...if you're not equipped to shave your face, she probably won't be equipped to shave her legs, armpits, or anything else. So, if she complains about your beard tell her you're not impressed with her sasquatch legs. That should go over well...:ghostly:

Well...if you're not equipped to shave your face, she probably won't be equipped to shave her legs, armpits, or anything else. So, if she complains about your beard tell her you're not impressed with her sasquatch legs. That should go over well...:ghostly:
If you're still conscious after that you can tell her, "No, it's not the new DRESS that makes you look fat."

Realize yer talking about "shaving soap", but.. Just a quick side, that "regular bar soap" is Also a good 'deep-stacker' - If you 'stack wisely', ie: "Zote" is really a solid '2 fer 1', because it's both great for Laundry (whole-bar, and/or 'cheese-gratered-up' + Borax, etc), and Skin.. Toss back plenty of Fels-Naptha, as well, for tougher-stains / dish-soap, etc.. But Not long-term shaving, oww.. ;) I'm sure I must be 'preaching to the Choir', here, tho.. :)

We also stack/pack lots of 'Olive Oil soap', as it's Great for dry-tendency skin, full-body, + Shaving, and rinses clean with Cold water, as well as Hot..

jd

I store Zote AND use it to make laundry soap. I also store TONS of bar soap for the whole family and shampoo bars.

I shave everyday - or almost. 😊 I use my homemade soap. I have pretty sensitive skin - the zote and fels naptha don't work well for me (skin) great for cleaning. I make winter soap and summer soap. In winter when weather can dry out your skin, I use animal fats which help seal moisture in the skin. In summer, I use plant based fats which breath. Hubby is currently testing out the no shaving method - or hair cut for that matter. He getting rather fluffy. He usually grows a beard in winter but he is due for a hair cut. If it all went south, we'd probably all look like captain cave man.
1639368519382.png

I shave everyday - or almost. 😊 I use my homemade soap. I have pretty sensitive skin - the zote and fels naptha don't work well for me (skin) great for cleaning. I make winter soap and summer soap. In winter when weather can dry out your skin, I use animal fats which help seal moisture in the skin. In summer, I use plant based fats which breath. Hubby is currently testing out the no shaving method - or hair cut for that matter. He getting rather fluffy. He usually grows a beard in winter but he is due for a hair cut. If it all went south, we'd probably all look like captain cave man.
View attachment 77117

I use an epilator to 'shave'. Worth the money in my opinion. I also store extra sugar and lemon juice to make sugar wax if shtf. It's a middle eastern recipe and it essentially is a 'lemon candy' that you use to wax the hair off. Stays soft and usable for over a year. I made a batch in the middle of 2020 and it is still soft and good now. I store it in a cheap plastic container (ziploc) and it is under my sink in the bathroom. I use it from time to time for my brows.

No kisses & you will sleep by yourself. :cry:

Just ask her to braid it before bed time. It goes over VERY well I assure you.

:ghostly::ghostly:

Latest posts

Back