My place.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
As this is a huge project that I've been working on for more than a decade I'm not going to try and write the small book that would be the story behind it all here.

But this is where I live, built entirely by myself and my wife. The seed idea that got it all started was the concept of the medieval 'bastile house', a fortified farm house, a fort but one for a single family to work from rather than a strictly 'military' installation such as a castle, watchtower, etc.

The following pictures are in roughly chronological order. Some thing will be self evident, but if you have any questions of any aspect of it, I'm more than happy to answer them.

UVmUKxq.jpg

purfV0p.jpg

h9ybtcL.jpg

c3lKY97.jpg

n8FxrHL.jpg

90ggRu9.jpg

BMEkgO1.jpg

EzmgT6B.jpg

veIuuDY.jpg

Aerindel: Your skills are very impressive. You did a beautiful job. It looks like you have electricity. How did you conquer the electricity and plumbing hurdles?

Aerindel: Your skills are very impressive. You did a beautiful job. It looks like you have electricity. How did you conquer the electricity and plumbing hurdles?

Thanks. Less of a skill....more a matter of bravery and stubbornness :)

So the answer is probably not as interesting as you hoped. My 'next door' neighbors are my parents, who have grid power.

For the first eight years or so I just ran a really long extension cord out from one of their sheds. I got about 90volts and 10 amps but that was enough to run everything I needed. From day one I designed this place to not NEED power for anything important so it was always just a luxury. Several years ago I bought 600' of electrical cable and ran a mostly buried line from the pole to my place and so I have 'real' power now. I ALSO have a small solar system backup, and of course, propane generator backup.

Water is a long story. My folks have a 300' deep well but it doesn't supply enough water to run two places and even if it did, in the winter I would have to have a buried line 6-8' deep to keep it from freezing, which would have cost as much as I spent on the house to put in.

I will make a separate post on the water system soon because its somewhat complicated but the basics of it is that I have a 550 gallon storage tank that I fill up once a month from their well, and then a little RV style on demand electric pump that I use to fill the two tanks hanging from the kitchen ceiling that I then gravity feed from on a day to day basis. That is in the winter, in the summer, there is an irrigation canal that runs through the property, I use a self built hydraulic ram pump, a type of gravity powered pressure pump that can pump higher than its own water source without power, that provides a gallon a minute 24/7. That runs into a solar pre-heater tank on the roof and 500 gallon stock tank that I use for all my wash water and to irrigate the greenhouse. I ALSO have a gas powered trash pump, and electric trash pump, that pull from the canal that I can use for irrigation but are primarily for my exterior fire suppression sprinkler system that will let me spray about 200 gallons per minute in an emergency.

Two questions.

1. I don't understand why two separate two story buildings?
2. How did you get your wife to go along with they build?

A few reasons, mostly involving money. (The round strawbale tower is actually three stories)

First, the foundation and roof of a building are the most expensive parts, particularly with straw bale construction, you get 'wall' for almost nothing so a building with a small foundation and small roof but multiple stores stacked up is a lot cheaper than the same amount of space on one level. I started this entire project with only $4k cash so saving money was critical.

Then there is the topography. As you may have been able to tell from the pictures, the entire property is on a slope. Making any kind of flat land here is a big job and as any flat spot gets bigger, its gets literally exponentially harder to make as the cut into the hill gets bigger, you need a bigger retaining wall, more dirt to move, etc. Its a lot cheaper, a lot less work to have two 16' foot diameter flat spots, than one 32' foot diameter one. In fact, if I tried to make one spot, 32' feet across flat, I would end up with about a 15' foot high retaining wall on one side, a massive expense and engineering job compared to my current 5' retaining wall.

Second, and I realize this is probably hard to tell without seeing the blueprints, the overall design concept is that of a small medieval fort. (90% of castles where wooden BTW) this means a compound consisting of towers at the corners and living space built into the walls between them with an open courtyard in the middle.

In its current phase, what I have are two walls and two towers of what will eventually be a triangular compound with long, narrow buildings forming three walls with towers at the points.

And just like castles, my place was built over time, while also living in it, so I started with one building so I had a place to live, and then have been expanding in phases, adding on parts each year as I have time and money to build them.

Not my place obviously, but the inspiration is small medieval fortified farmhouses, such as this example, with the idea being a complex of walls, buildings and towers connected together to form a closed in area.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 12.03.32 PM.png

How did I miss these pictures? Did you just add them recently? I saw some pic's you put up before but they wer off distance and didn't see any inside pics. :great:
I love this palce it look fantastic!

Well, I've never posted on this site before. I've posted most of these elsewhere on the net in the past but this is the only place they currently exist. Thanks.

Last edited:
Two questions.

2. How did you get your wife to go along with they build?

My wife moved in with me when I was living in a 12x12'dry cabin in fairbanks Alaska. She has always been 110% behind all of this.

I really like your medieval Bastille farm house concept. Did you use cob over the straw bales?
I've done a small about of reading on straw bale construction, how do you find the thermal insulation value from using this method?

I used stucco cement. I'm not opposed to cobb but we don't have the right kind of soil here for it.

Thermal insulation is very high.Tests say that its around R40-55 for the walls. Which is not bad considered I only spent $250 on all the bales. In addition, the thousands of pounds of stucco on the inside are a great thermal mass that soaks up heat from the woodstove and releases it slowly. Most of the time I just have one fire a day and it stays warm the rest of the time just from the stucco.

I visited a place south and east of Tucson about 10 years ago. We actually drove south, all the way to the Mexican border, but not across it, and then headed east and north a little. The property was developed by someone who was from New England. I believe the person was involved in maybe designing railroad cars, or architecture, and when they retired, they moved to Arizona. They had some money. They had a home built, a building that surrounded an open space. In a place like that, it could have been done to keep rattle snakes out. The place was well built with beautiful tiles, lots of collectible art pieces, etc. The couple died, and the property was kind of floundering for how it was to be used. A group had control of it, but it was still struggling.

That’s a great setup you have! The construction pictures are remarkable, to include the construction material and the R value. I would imagine you have a better insulation factor than I have in my log cabin with about 14 inch logs on average. I look forward to seeing additional post and hopefully I can learn from it.

I visited a place south and east of Tucson about 10 years ago. We actually drove south, all the way to the Mexican border, but not across it, and then headed east and north a little. The property was developed by someone who was from New England. I believe the person was involved in maybe designing railroad cars, or architecture, and when they retired, they moved to Arizona. They had some money. They had a home built, a building that surrounded an open space. In a place like that, it could have been done to keep rattle snakes out. The place was well built with beautiful tiles, lots of collectible art pieces, etc. The couple died, and the property was kind of floundering for how it was to be used. A group had control of it, but it was still struggling.
The Hamond Castle Museum out on the tip of cape Cod is a must see.

He was an inventor that used his money to buy up everything he could in antiquities around the world and had them shipped Back to the US and built a castle to hold them. The chapel has a pipe organ that had once been played by Bach.

Every time I have been to Boston I made a point to visit the place.

Ben

I'm not kidding. If she has land and a truck, I am interested. Send pictures of the land and truck :p

She does but I wouldn't recommend it...my wife is the 'black sheep' of her family. Which means she doesn't do drugs, only married once, and her child was not only conceived while married but with the person she was married to.

I think its because while my mother in law was in the loony bin, my wife was raised mostly by her grandfather away from her other siblings. He was a WWII submariner who came out and got a PHD, and apparently learned from the mistakes he must have made with her mother.

How bullet resistant are your hay bale walls?

ish.....

They stop 9mm and 556....but not 7.62x39 or 308, or .45 Straw is obviously not very resistant, but the inch of wire reenforced concrete based stucco on both sides is. The first layer doesn't stop anything but it breaks up 556 into fragments that the two feet of straw can slow down enough before they hit the inner layer. Anything with more mass and a decent velocity makes it through.

However....the way the windows are designed makes the area around them extra resistant. Like medieval arrow loops they are angled on the inside. This not only allows a wide field of fire through a slit in a thick wall, but it makes the inner wall highly angled in relation to incoming fire so it can deflect rounds that it couldn't otherwise stop.

GddZKq3.png

Cement (without the large aggregate) mixed into the straw is how ballistic concrete is made. It will stop even a 50 BMG round without much penetration. Live fire ranges typically have to replace a wall section after the penetration of a million rounds. It does take more work and cement to make but it is a better barrier. It does retain most of the insulation properties.

By the way, I like your buildings.

Cement (without the large aggregate) mixed into the straw is how ballistic concrete is made. It will stop even a 50 BMG round without much penetration. Live fire ranges typically have to replace a wall section after the penetration of a million rounds. It does take more work and cement to make but it is a better barrier. It does retain most of the insulation properties.

By the way, I like your buildings.

I didn't know that. Thats a very interesting idea and sounds like something fairly easy to make . My base layer of stucco has chopped straw added to it to reenforce it, which sounds like it would create a similar product if poured.

I didn't know that. Thats a very interesting idea and sounds like something fairly easy to make . My base layer of stucco has chopped straw added to it to reenforce it, which sounds like it would create a similar product if poured.
I used a product called MasterBond (I think) that had fiberglass mixed in.

Ben

Latest posts

Back