My trip to Amish country

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We left my house about 9:30 am.
I snapped a few pics on the way , ad the wife was driving.
It's about 25 miles to the community, takes about 30 min.
On the way , just to give an idea of our county.
Checking the mail from yesterday in our new mail box on our way out.
IMG_20190921_145749539_HDR.jpg

Leaving our driveway and to give an idea what the country looks like on the way.
IMG_20190921_091451856.jpg

IMG_20190921_092319418_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190921_092155706.jpg
IMG_20190921_092509463.jpg
IMG_20190921_092843936.jpg
IMG_20190921_092245436.jpg

Coming into Fredonia KY, about 10 miles from home. Pop 456
IMG_20190921_093029327.jpg

Coming into second town Marion KY , about 20 miles from home.
IMG_20190921_095004083.jpg

Continue....

very nice pics, as most of you know that i drive truck, i don't get the opportunity to go off the roads into Amish country, but on occasion i do get to see some of the communities, so the pics you took within the communities, well lets say that's what i imagined them to be like, for that, thank you for the pics.

Great pictures, phideaux! Thanks for sharing your day.

You know, the landscape and Amish areas look a whole lot like what we have up her in New York in rural areas and it was par for the course when I lived in central Pennsylvania.

Beautiful country. I saw corn growing in the fields. I wonder what other kinds of grain grows in your area? I wonder if the grain bins that are shown will be full for the winter?

The grain storage elevators are being filled daily. It's harvest season .
Mostly corn and soy beans, but they also grow Canola and Hemp here.

We haven't had a drop of rain since sug 24th and it's been in the ,90s every day.
It's very dry and everything is covered in dust.

Jim

This is where we had lunch , Coppertop BBQ..awesome food.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I got lots more pics...just too many.

Great day, we do this in spring and fall every year.

Yes we bought some red mum's and a bunch of bakery goods, and the wife bought some quilting supplies.

I wish I could take everyone here with us to visit , it's fun.

Jim

Jim,
Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing the pics. Reminds me of the wife and I's road trips. You are definatly in west Kentucky. We lived in Louisville for 2 years and spent most of our free time in Eastern Ky. More mountainous than anything else we found. But did get to the western side a couple times. Pretty country just flatter.
Amish country is very nice, no matter what state it's in. The furniture is amazing, food is even better. And the farms are just beautiful. Glad you guys had a nice trip around the country side. Thats always a good time.

@phideaux Not sure if you would know or not. Maybe @Amish Heart might be able to answer as well.
If the businesses are home based (which I love,) are the laws different there to allow it? For cottage businesses, I know in Oregon for example, one can make and sell candies with only a valid food handler's cert. if you make less than $5k per year. Over $5k regular business laws and inspections apply. In Washington, the cottage laws seem to be geared at food trucks so are essentially the same as a brick and mortar business or restaurant. In order to sell from home, ones has to go through all of the same hoops and meet all of the same specs. as a regular restaurant.
Anyhoo, looking through your pictures brought that to mind.

Good question, because every homestead in the community has a specialty product or service.

I do know that they supply each other with goods and services , and it's mostly barter trading with each other ,
Self sufficient community.

Not sure but I believe the tax laws and business laws are different in the reservation.
Maybe @Amish Heart knows.

Jim

Each state has their own laws. I have a cousin who has an add on to her house and she operates "Rose's Bakery". Similar to the photos posted. She is health dept inspected each year for food safety. Dairy is highly regulated. Another cousin of mine is a dairy farmer, every other day the milk truck comes. He has a gas powered setup that keeps the big milk tank up to temp. He is inspected by the milk safety board or whatever twice a year. (he was just complaining to me how many multifold paper towels the inspector uses when he washes). I get my raw milk from him, but it's gifted or bartered. Eggs are not a problem to sell, farmer's mkt home canned, veg, baked goods are not a problem but I've never seen home canned meats sold. Home dairies that sell to the public can sell raw milk advertised for animal feed. Not advertised for human consumption. I just helped out with food sales at the last big fowl sale in Yoder. We sold burgers, chips, candy, soda, ice cream. We were not inspected, and didn't see an inspector there, but I did see a child services officer walking around, which was weird. Had his badge on. We probably served 250 people. Everything looked pretty clean and on the up and up, although I did give a few suggestions...I ran a commercial kitchen at our preschool for 16 yrs. Other people running home businesses, like a harness shop do need to follow local laws concerning home businesses. The Amish are not obligated to pay into social security, unless they want to claim it as seniors. It's not mandatory. Selling cream pies in a building that does not have refrigeration is not allowed. Although, I buy butter at the farmer's mkt. Comes in a 2 lb roll and the lady sells it out of a cooler. I have a relative who is going certified organic on his grains, and that's been a long process with lots of inspectors. He also does his own honey and they sell it without problems. Another money maker is using your dining room to host Amish dinners. My favorite cousin and her daughter do this about 4 x a year. People RSVP in advance, the group can request certain food items (like types of pies), and usually about 30 are served at a time. The last one she did, the people paid double, so they could eat a dinner, and also take a complete dinner home. She served meatloaf, potatoes and gravy, a vegetable, bread rolls, relish items, and pie. She had a small table nearby where she sold home canned items and honey. Home dinners aren't regulated. I think things are ok as long as no one complains to the powers that be.

Forgot to mention, barter is a big thing is Amish communities. Or hiring someone local. Currently, we barter 15 acres of land used for farming for maintenance at our farm. We also get milk and ground beef. We have electricity in one of our large outbuildings, and we allow two large freezers in there. For one we trade for pork, and the other for beef. Also 3 to 5 acres of electric fence area (our electricity) that hosts a dozen or so junior Jersey cows, that are not ours. They keep the weeds down, and I like them. We have a large "round top" that is used by two relative families to store extra farming implements. I'm always offered overage of fruit and veg, and lately I've been picking up buckets of whole organic wheat berries to grind for flour. Our grapes on our vines were ripe when we were not there, so a cousin came and harvested them all, made yummy grape pies (that I got to taste!) and canned a bunch of grape juice. And then there's "work frolics". People show up to help when there's a job to be done. No pay necessary, but food is appreciated. If someone needs a collection taken up for them, usually for some tragedy, it is common for a few families to make a ton of cinnamon rolls, or cookies, or bierrocks, and go by buggy farm to farm to sell, with the proceeds going to the needy family. That's not regulated either.
I don't like regulations.

Thanks AH! I had never given it much thought before. At least from the sounds of it, it's not over-regulated. I can't remember if it was here or a neighboring state a while back that wanted kids to get a permit if they were going to have a lemonade stand. Thankfully, it didn't go through. I think most regulations are absurd also.

Latest posts

Back