Natural insect control

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm interested in learning about using nematodes and trichogramma wasps. I found some brief information about them online but wanted to get gardeners' opinions and experiences.
Please mention other organic or natural types of insect control that you've used for anything.
Nematodes can eliminate the cut worms which grow up to be the "drab moth." Here's a typical drab moth:
View attachment 125530
I didn't know!

I'm interested in learning about using nematodes and trichogramma wasps. I found some brief information about them online but wanted to get gardeners' opinions and experiences.
Please mention other organic or natural types of insect control that you've used for anything.
Nematodes can eliminate the cut worms which grow up to be the "drab moth." Here's a typical drab moth:
View attachment 125530
I didn't know!
I make an effort to preserve preying mantis egg cases over winter. They aree to easy to miss accidently toss them when cutting back raspberry canes.

I also tolerate wasps provided they don't build nests over a door.

Ben

I make an effort to preserve preying mantis egg cases over winter. They aree to easy to miss accidently toss them when cutting back raspberry canes.

I also tolerate wasps provided they don't build nests over a door.

Ben
You’re saying the pr. mantis eggs will survive through the winter even if you have cut the plant cane or stem they are stuck to? Provided you leave it on the ground or in a “good brush” pile?

You’re saying the pr. mantis eggs will survive through the winter even if you have cut the plant cane or stem they are stuck to? Provided you leave it on the ground or in a “good brush” pile?
I have used binder clips to hold the cane with egg case in nearby bushes.

Ben

A number of years ago I read about and tried this.. Remember, I'm the Webster definition of ...black thumb.. as gardening goes.. This a concoction to supposedly take care of unwanted garden bugs of many kinds.. I'm not sure if it helped or not.. It didn't seem to hurt anything I guess..

On my outdoor wood fired HOBO stove, I boiled an old 12qt pot stuffed full of rough shredded rhubarb leaves with a bit of water to an ugly green pulp.. I strained this through a couple layer of old T shirt to get a green pulpy liquid that looked like pureed cooked spinach.. This settled overnight to the most beautiful emerald liquid.. Siphon off the emerald liquid, mix with water and a bit of dish soap in a spray bottle.. Mist garden plants as required.. Good luck...

Latest posts

Back