Nature As Works of Art

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grand canon

1641590866160.png

I'll come back in a couple weeks to do some fly fishing..

Last edited:
I think if I found either of those I would say a prayer and break them into little pieces.

Jazzy,
I don't know how you come to that conclusion but I feel that Yellowstone is the most dangerous. Rainier may be more likely to go off and it can affect a large portion of the western side of Washington so there is no doubt it is a likely choice but when Yellowstone goes off it will affect at least the northern hemisphere.

Jazzy,
I don't know how you come to that conclusion but I feel that Yellowstone is the most dangerous. Rainier may be more likely to go off and it can affect a large portion of the western side of Washington so there is no doubt it is a likely choice but when Yellowstone goes off it will affect at least the northern hemisphere.

sheepdog, i actually agree with you about yellowstone. the tag line was the title someone put on the photo and kinda suroprised me. im embarrassed to say i dont know much about mt rainier. but i sure hope none of us are around when yellowstone blows.

sheepdog, i actually agree with you about yellowstone. the tag line was the title someone put on the photo and kinda suroprised me. im embarrassed to say i dont know much about mt rainier. but i sure hope none of us are around when yellowstone blows.
Many of will not be around AFTER.

Yellowstone and solar EMPs are the 2 natural disasters that could 5hreaten me in western PA.

Depending on how big the Yellowstone event is we could be wiped out or at the least have to deal with fallout.

Ben

i get this sometimes when snow stats to melt off tin roof and starts to slide. pretty cool

View attachment 58949
Snow cornices, we get huge ones off our metal roof, years ago I had to lower the rain gutter to keep them from being broken by the snow, they fall with a loud thud. All these pics give me a chill in my kidneys, I may have to sit on the wood stove pedestal and lean my back on the stove.

Last edited:
I've seen gatherings of Monarch butterflies on eucalyptus trees in California years ago, it was really awesome, there was so many on the branches it made them droop. Thanks for all the great pics, but it does make me happy that it's getting warmer out.

Jazzy,
We have a DVD by Steve Quayle, stevequayle.com, titled "Yellowstone is just a distraction, CASCADIA IS THE BIG ONE" He worked with USGS and did a huge amount of research on the Cascadia plate and Juan De Fuca plates that run from southern BC down to Crescent City, CA., these plates are about 100+ miles off the coastline, they are long overdue to give us a major quake, low 9 to over 10 on the earthquake scale, with an accompanying tsunami that could cause the death of millions of people and set off volcanoes from lower BC to Northern California. Just recently I read an article of magma activity under the Three Sisters mountains that has been going on, Steve Quayle mentions a bunch of mountains in the Cascade range that could be triggered to going off with a massive earthquake, the ones mentioned in the US are Glacier, Mt.Baker, Mt.Rainer, Mt. St. Helen, Mt Hood, The Three Sisters, Crater Lake and in northern California, Mt. Shasta, Mt Lassen and a few others, we've visited Mt. Lassen and it's constantly having seismic activity as well as active fumaroles, many of these mountains also give off steam from magma activity below them. Yeah, if Yellowstone went off it would split the US in half, so too would the fault line following the Mississippi. I've heard reports from the USGS that say if the Cascadia plate goes off, there will be destruction from the coast to I-5 in Washington and Oregon, there is also some thought that those plates going off will trigger other fault lines going down into Southern California.

Last edited:
When I lived and worked in Seattle, every morning in my drive to work I was driving toward Mt. Rainer, the figure I heard for the distance from Mt. Rainer to Tacoma was about 70 miles, while I was stationed at McCord AFB I knew it wasn't all that far to the east. Here in Oregon, central to eastern and southeastern portions there is a huge overlay of the land by lava, on out trips to northern Nevada traveling east of Medford going up the Klamath pass there is lava overlay on both sides of the highway, most of highway 140 in southern Oregon and northern Nevada is surrounded on both sides by mesas overlaid by lava. As to what has happened, way long ago in the Cascades east of Seattle, a friend and I were hiking in the mountains, looking for a lake, when we came upon a concreted slab of 90 degree sea shore, looking at it, it had ripples formed in th e concreted sand, I remember telling my friend that it was a good thing we were'nt around when this happened. I remember, as a kid in the third grade in 1949, being on the playground and seeing the ground having waves about 2' tall and thinking, "How can this be?", I also remember an apple tree on the other side of the fence waving back and forth like nothing I had ever seen, I got the information about this quake from an article off the internet, this happened Apr. 13, 1949.

mt rainier -- americas most dangerous volcano

View attachment 81540
The U.S. Geological Survey released a list of the most dangerous volcanoes in the U.S. in 2018. According to this list, Mount Kilauea in Hawaii, and Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier of Washington rank in the top 3 positions.
Yellowstone didn't make the list.

The U.S. Geological Survey released a list of the most dangerous volcanoes in the U.S. in 2018. According to this list, Mount Kilauea in Hawaii, and Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier of Washington rank in the top 3 positions.
Yellowstone didn't make the list.
Fair enough.

Most likely vs most devastating....

Ben

Viking,
I lived in Seattle for 59 years. I never really considered Mt. Rainier a major danger until Mt. St Helens went off. Those mud flows had nothing on Mt. Rainier. The entire valley from Rainier to Puget sound is just one mud flow from a past eruption of Mt. Rainier. I always chose to live on hills way above the ground floor but recognized the destructive forces involved. There would likely have been exit paths and places to get away but it certainly demands respect.
The Cascadia Subduction Zone will be a lot worse. The destruction will extend into the Cascade Mountains with land slides and broken roadways along I-90. I-5 won't be the only concrete roadway torn apart by that 9+ earthquake. What made me decide to leave was being without basic infrastructure for years. No water, sewer, electricity, food and fuel along with the total loss of jobs and banking will make people desperate. I had a good storage of food and water but I wasn't sure that I could kill my neighbors to keep it. None of them had any preparations and according to FEMA it would take two to four weeks before they could get any supplies into the three state area. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that folks are going to die of thirst before two weeks are up. The military doesn't have the logistics to supply water to the areas people much less food. Without water and power there is no medical care as we know it.
When Cascadia let's go it is going to be hellacious.

Latest posts

Back