Need A Good Chicken Soup Recipe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
It is getting to be flu and cold season. I make chicken noodle soup but not as good as some do. What is your secret to good chicken noodle soup?

Mine is never the same twice. Sometimes it's so good you can't quit eating it and other times not worth looking at.

I always start by sauteing onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then I add sliced carrot, sliced celery and chopped chicken. Once ready I add chicken bone broth, then water, celery seed, bay leaves, a little thyme, fresh ground black pepper and salt. If need be I add HerbOx chicken bouillon to add more flavor. When I ate carbs I would cook egg noodles til they were a firm al dente and then strain and add to the broth and simmer until soft. I did not really follow a recipe, I just cooked and seasoned it by taste.

I always start by sauteing onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then I add sliced carrot, sliced celery and chopped chicken. Once ready I add chicken bone broth, then water, celery seed, bay leaves, a little thyme, fresh ground black pepper and salt. If need be I add HerbOx chicken bouillon to add more flavor. When I ate carbs I would cook egg noodles til they were a firm al dente and then strain and add to the broth and simmer until soft. I did not really follow a recipe, I just cooked and seasoned it by taste.

Sounds good.And like mine except I didn't saute the celery and carrots, maybe thats the trick? I use real butter in mine too but lately it just doesn't taste right. It is ok but not good as before.Thanks Sentry

Mine is similar to Sentry's. I salute chicken in bite sized pieces. I always use chicken bouillon for more chicken taste. Just don't use salt if you use bouillon though as it is mostly salt.
Most bouillon has MSG in it, using one of the almost 2 dozen names for it. I get migraines when I eat msg, so I avoid it, and therefore, I don't use bouillon.

I make broth from a chicken or turkey carcass, or beef bones and like to cook them for a long time. Bone broth can be cooked for a day or more. Add some apple cider vinegar to the water, along with onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and spices--seasoning salt, garlic powder, a few red paper flakes. I like to cook it on simmer on the stove. The connective tissue from the bones gets into the broth and is healing for joints. I strain the broth and throw away everything else. If you let the broth chill over night in the fridge, you can remove the fat from the broth, which will now be gelatinous.

I don't add noodles or rice any longer to my soups. I like to add vegetables -- more onion, garlic, celery, a little carrot, Rotel tomatoes, beans (black and/or pintos), peppers, preferably green chiles. I cook these until they are just tender, not mushy. It is more of a southwestern style now. When I dish it up, I add a little chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice really kicks up the flavor.

There is MSG in bouillon for sure, but there is also MSG that occurs naturally in any type of meat that is cooked in a broth. It's a naturally occurring amino when meat, especially poultry, is boiled or par boiled. I use HerbOx because they don't add any extra. But of course adding it will still add more MSG.

There is MSG in bouillon for sure, but there is also MSG that occurs naturally in any type of meat that is cooked in a broth. It's a naturally occurring amino when meat, especially poultry, is boiled or par boiled. I use HerbOx because they don't add any extra. But of course adding it will still add more MSG.

Thank you for the nutrient info. I'll see if I can get HerbOx.

I am surely going to try the recipe's but right now I just got the store stuff which is nothing as good as what yall have offered.
Hubby is so sick taking up my time and I'm taking up his slack. I don't mind just don't want him to be sick.

Chicken or turkey soup

I start with the bacon grease from breakfast and saute my onions in it. Then add my chicken or turkey carcass(whichever I have) cover with water and add a few bay leaves cook til the meat left on the bones is tender. Remove the bones and bay leaves add my carrots, celery and garlic, salt and pepper. Then add egg noodles, peas, lots of parsley and more salt and pepper to taste.

Kids will pack the leftovers in their lunch, so it must be good! LOL

The key to really good chicken soup is the stock. I brown the chicken in small slabs before it is cubed. Brown it well because that caramelized meat is where the flavor comes from.
I drain the used fat into another pan to sauté the veggies and add water and salt to the original pan. Cube the chicken and simmer in the water with egg noodles. When the veggies are just starting to soften add them to the pot without the grease. Add your garlic, pepper, thyme, sage and other spices and simmer until it is the way you like it.

The key to really good chicken soup is the stock. I brown the chicken in small slabs before it is cubed. Brown it well because that caramelized meat is where the flavor comes from.
I drain the used fat into another pan to sauté the veggies and add water and salt to the original pan. Cube the chicken and simmer in the water with egg noodles. When the veggies are just starting to soften add them to the pot without the grease. Add your garlic, pepper, thyme, sage and other spices and simmer until it is the way you like it.

This is the truth. It is also true for gravy. You start with good flavor and it only gets better.

It was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Everything we had at home was from scratch, including chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles and I thought Campbells was better. Silly me! I'm over it now.
Healthwise I know homemade soup I make is better for me. But when I want soup in 30 min a can of chicken noodle is just so easy and when I'm sick there is no way in hell I'm making home made soup. :-(

We usually use leftover chicken, already cooked. Sometimes cook it down while still on the bone, or just pick it off. Use a liquid broth, Swanson's, or a can of soup to add to it for a base. Water. i don't like using bouillon cubes or powder any more. Usually carrots, potatoes, green beans, and at the end, egg noodles. Yes, sage and thyme, salt and pepper. Sometimes celery.

I have always kept canned soup (Campbells) in the pantry but I always added to it when I fixed it so I decided to can my own. When I make soup I make a big pot and the throw the left overs in jars and pressure can them. They are used before the Campbells now.

The last I made was turkey, not chicken, same same. Used 3 large turkey wings, I prefer to roast the meat first with s&p and a little rosemary(got some fresh right outside the front door), you'll definitely tell the taste difference. Then boiled turkey couple hours, low heat, 2 bay leaves. Remove, cool, remove meat,, set aside. Clean and chop, onion, carrots, celery and potatoes, all fresh. Add onion and carrots, simmer awhile. Add celery simmer some more. Last, potatoes, don't overcook the taters. Replace the meat. Salt and pepper along the way to taste. Nope, nothing special, may be more stew than soup, but that's some good stuff. Noodles instead of taters is good too.

Gary

Last edited:
I Smoke or Grill a whole chicken with SW seasonings, then debone it, cut it up and set the meat aside in the fridge. I eat the crispy skin right there. Simmer Bones for 6-10 hrs. Great Flavor and Great Medicine for sickness. Next day. In a Pot I, simmer a Trinity with a little Butter. Then Garlic. For some reason, if Im sick I pile in the Garlic. Pour in Bone broth with meat. Simmer for 3 hrs. Little Sage, Thyme, Oregano, black pepper. Sometimes I even put Dried Chiles in for Heat and flavor or a little liquid smoke. I keep Vegie Stock around and add for taste. I make a pot of this and eat it for 7 days with Butter Crackers(Keebler Town House, No Ritz, Boycotting). It is Better each day. Ms Chen Swears that Bone Broth is Medicine.
PS. If Im really sick, I go to my Fave Chinese place and order Coconut Currie Noodle Soup. Great for sinus problems.

Last edited:
I Smoke or Grill a whole chicken with SW seasonings, then debone it, cut it up and set the meat aside in the fridge. I eat the crispy skin right there. Simmer Bones for 6-10 hrs. Great Flavor and Great Medicine for sickness. Next day. In a Pot I, simmer a Trinity with a little Butter. Then Garlic. For some reason, if Im sick I pile in the Garlic. Pour in Bone broth with meat. Simmer for 3 hrs. Little Sage, Thyme, Oregano, black pepper. Sometimes I even put Dried Chiles in for Heat and flavor or a little liquid smoke. I keep Vegie Stock around and add for taste. I make a pot of this and eat it for 7 days with Butter Crackers(Keebler Town House, No Ritz, Boycotting). It is Better each day. Ms Chen Swears that Bone Broth is Medicine.
PS. If Im really sick, I go to my Fave Chinese place and order Coconut Currie Noodle Soup. Great for sinus problems.
I like to get a bowl of Vietnamese pho when I have a head cold. Add some Siracha and then the nose blowing begins.

This is for You Weedy. Real Time. "Resto Chicken Soup". Im using one of my Gas Grills for this. I don't feel like firing up the Smoker or Chargrill today.
I washed this Chicken and got rid of the organ meat. Save the neck for bone broth. Pepper and Garlic with SW seasonings, inside and out. Packed it with carrots and celery, breasts down in the pan. 4 outside burners on low, center Off. Pan in center aligned with burners.
DSCN0058.JPG
DSCN0057.JPG
DSCN0056.JPG
Temp around 350. This is going to take awhile.

Latest posts

Back