Need some help with Libreoffice writer please.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like to include pictures with my PDFs for various reasons, but Libreoffice refuses to leave them where I put them, I've used various anchors offered but none want to work right!
I've done more cussing in the last hour than a DI discussing life with a snowflake! No, really. Satan showed up and told me "shut my filthy mouth!" How do I make my pics stay where they're put?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I thought you meant Operating System. I guess I'd better get busy looking around the open source sites. I just want to wring this thing's neck and feed it to the nerd that made it!
*Sigh* What does one expect for free. :(

Magus,
Put a text window where you want your picture and place the picture in the text window.
If you want to bring it here then export it as a word doc or better yet as a PDF. ;)

I like to include pictures with my PDFs for various reasons, but Libreoffice refuses to leave them where I put them, I've used various anchors offered but none want to work right!
I've done more cussing in the last hour than a DI discussing life with a snowflake! No, really. Satan showed up and told me "shut my filthy mouth!" How do I make my pics stay where they're put?
Are you creating the original files in LibreOffice and exporting them in PDF format? If so, what happens when you save the file in native LibreOffice format (.odt) rather than in PDF format? Do the photos stay in their proper place when you later reopen the .odt file? Try to determine if the problem is in LibreOffice basic formatting, or in the conversion/exporting to PDF format.

Or are you creating the original files in some other application, saving them as PDFs from that application, and then opening them in LibreOffice for editing and re-saving? Normally, if you open a PDF in LibreOffice it will open in LibreOffice Draw, not in LibreOffice Writer. I don't think Writer will open a PDF directly, but I may be wrong about that. I think you have to first convert the PDF to a format that Writer understands. Which specific application within LibreOffice are you using? Your talk of using various anchoring methods sounds like you're trying to wrap text and images in a graphic layout where you control positioning. That would be something I'd try to do in Writer, not Draw, hence my questions about Writer. How are you importing the PDFs into Writer? (if indeed that's what you are doing)

I think I was using the wrong feature, ODT is holding its own but I'm going to have to add a LOT of footer art. *sigh.*

BUT, I'm going to try all the advice you guys gave too. I'm only exporting things as PDF, so thats no issue.

I have Libre Office on my laptop, but I can not make pdf files or export documents.
I am unable to link it to my email, so I quit using it for anything other than typing up and printing out minutes for the two vet groups I’m adjutant for.
It’s kind useless.

Mine allows PDF export in all five apps. it also does spread sheets and graphics. 0_0

Most printers allow conversion to pdf format. Just act like you're printing, but when it designates which printer to use, hit the drop down box and you will see the prompt to convert to pdf format. Store. Then transfer as a .pdf file.

Reactions: Neb
Now that I'm back at work after surgery, I'm just going to re-activate MS Office. $9.99/month.
When I first started using Office a decade ago, you paid once and it was good forever. That feature is long gone.

Reactions: Neb
I'll bet nobody here knows about pirate bay or a software crack do they?
Now its only legal to "crack" software if you legally own it so don't go all warez ape hmm?

I'll bet nobody here knows about pirate bay or a software crack do they?
Now its only legal to "crack" software if you legally own it so don't go all warez ape hmm?
I used to write software for a living so piracy is theft in my book.

Ben

• Agree
Reactions: bkt
Why do you think I specified "If you legally own it?"
<---Former game mapper.

I think I solved my issues, I was using the wrong part of the app.
We'll see.

Aww yeah. Last night I tried to break it, good to go! you guys are l33t h@xx0rz in my book!

Attachments

• heinie.png
    heinie.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
I recently did something in LibreOffice Writer that I think is similar to what you are trying to do with positioning things. I was creating a PDF form for entry of account details. For all our bank accounts, investment accounts, etc. I wanted to document where they were and how to access them for my kids. We currently have this in a spreadsheet, but I wanted to try creating PDF's that would both be stored on a USB drive and printed out to be inserted in a paper notebook in a fire resistant lockbox (that actually would be kept in a fire resistant safe, for double fire protection). I got a little carried away and created drop-down boxes that are pre-populated with choices for the form. e.g., "Account Phone #" We only have so many phones that we could specify for an account (our landline and my wife's and my cellphones), so instead of typing that in you can just choose it from the drop-down. The drop-down also lets you manually enter a different phone number, if the provided choices are not to your liking. Anyway, that's just fluff to make the form fancy.

The positioning I do in the form below is via tables. Tables within tables, within other tables, to be more specific. Lots of nested tables.

screenshot1.jpg

But some positioning requires more than that (and that's the part I think you would be interested in). Note that I have boxes drawn around input elements that should be grouped together. Like the one near the top labeled "Account Details" (circled in red). The box is simple - just a table cell with a border. But overlaying that text "Account Details" over the box took a bit more fancy positioning. To do that I created a floating "frame" that in turn contained a text box that contained the text. I anchored that frame to the first cell of the table (the one with the border). And then I went into "frame properties" and twiddled the position variables. This twiddling was trial and error to come up with the vertical and horizontal offset I needed to move the text up and over so that it overlaid the border in a pleasing manner. I'm thinking that you want to do similar positioning with images. You could use the same method I used with anchored floating frames, except your frame would contain an image whereas my frame contained a text box.

screenshot2.jpg

You need to make sure that you anchor things to something sensible. Of course I want the surrounding box and label to move with the form elements if I moved their table to a different area on the page. That's why the frame containing "Account Access" is anchored to the PARAGRAPH in in the first cell of the TABLE and not to the PAGE. You gotta watch it, because you can move anchor points around by dragging them with the mouse, and if you're not careful, you might accidentally anchor something to, say, the character immediately BEFORE the table when you really meant to anchor it to the first character INSIDE the table. And anchoring something to a CHARACTER in a paragraph is different than anchoring it to the PARAGRAPH itself. So it can get confusing until you figure out what the heck is happening. Typically I zoom in the page and carefully click on something I want to anchor to rather than drag-n-drop an existing anchor to a new point. But this depends on how sophisticated my layout is. Sometimes you can get by with simple drag-n-drop if you have a simple layout.

Back