New neighbors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They want, hold your breathe and thank you California for this...2 and a half million...not gonna happen! They bought it for 700'000$. Appraises at 650'000! My folks paid $56,000 for our place, it now appraises at 460'000! Stupid!! There is a very dirty story as to what is going on with the place behind us. Hope decent people get it!!
Wow! I wouldn't buy that property even if it was a bargain price for 2 reasons. #1. Snakes, spiders and scorpions. #2. I would hate to be mistaken for the 'people' that inhabited the place before me. No property is worth my life. Although, it does come with a nice neighbor and a cranky donkey. 😁 Maybe that's why they want so much for it! I mean, who wouldn't want to live next to Pearl and Buddy???

A weird happening...10 of the 12 ewes got out, ran down the road on to the place at the very end of our road! Their entrance is through a relatives place on the next road. They escaped, will probably be eaten by coyotes ☹️! Two ewes and the ram are left with the two cows. I don't hold much hope for the escapees, they are loud and lost, but out of the bad place!!
The idiot just figured out yesterday that he's missing 10 sheep! He rode around asking people in the area if anyone has seen them!!🤔😮 They escaped 9 days ago! I hope he doesn't replace them with more animals!!

The idiot just figured out yesterday that he's missing 10 sheep! He rode around asking people in the area if anyone has seen them!!🤔😮 They escaped 9 days ago! I hope he doesn't replace them with more animals!!
Yummmm, Lambchops. OOPS.

So the city neighbors to my north (through the woods) are having concrete poured around their entire house, 40 ft wide!!!😮 When I was coming home the husband was at his mailbox so I stopped to say hi (that's code for being nosy)!! He said he finally got his wife to start coming out of the house, and then she got chiggers!😮🫢 She told him if he wanted to continue to live there he better have her some pavement!! So today the concrete trucks are there, took them all last week to get the ground ready!

So the city neighbors to my north (through the woods) are having concrete poured around their entire house, 40 ft wide!!!😮 When I was coming home the husband was at his mailbox so I stopped to say hi (that's code for being nosy)!! He said he finally got his wife to start coming out of the house, and then she got chiggers!😮🫢 She told him if he wanted to continue to live there he better have her some pavement!! So today the concrete trucks are there, took them all last week to get the ground ready!
I work on the farm & have not had a red bug in years. Seem they forgot to google.

If you want to take matters into your own hands, there are natural methods you could try. Chiggers hate apple cider vinegar, so you could mix some with water and spray it along the perimeter of your home—just be sure not to let the mixture touch any plants, as it can cause them to shrivel up.

Use a DEET-containing bug spray to coat clothing (including socks) and bare skin. For a natural option, look for sulfur-based anti-chigger products you can use to coat clothing and skin. Or spray clothes and skin with white distilled vinegar before heading outdoors.
Concrete will not work, by itself.

People bought the 50 acres behind me. Sold 20 to another neighbor. The 30 acres is long, entrance on another road. The previous owners were great neighbors for 33 years, mom and dad died and the sons sold it! Nice couple about 40ish, from the city. He does land clearing and needed a place out this way for his equipment, building an equipment barn near the entrance. They want to build a house about 400+ feet behind us😧! Will not build for a few years because of wood prices he said! We don't have any houses that we can see, will be a big change. The wife didn't seem too happy, didn't like the fact that there are wild animals in the country. Curious to see what unfolds. They bought mama donkey with the land, had to let them know that they have to provide food and water for her. Since there is no well on the back part of the property they will be paying me to keep her watered. Said they will get her some hay!! Should be interesting.......
I guess, if mama donkey is close enough you already know that the song "Sweetly sings the donkey at the break of day" is true.
Poor baby.......I hope you give her some love as you feed her.

I started this thread about the people who bought the 50 acres behind us. The front of the long narrow property is on another road. They do dirt work and built a large building up front to house their equipment. They are city folk, and made a lot of costly mistakes. They put the building where a large stock tank had been filled in, even though another neighbor told them about it. The slab has cracked and sunk. They also forgot to put the plumbing in for the office area🙄! Luckily they have put off building a house behind us for now! We also are getting new neighbors to our north, our property lines meet in the woods behind my house! On my way out this morning I stopped at the neighbors on the other side of them. The environmental officer was there, I know him and that neighbor so I stopped. The new neighbors called them in because they have some non running trucks in their front field, haha, totally legal. The new neighbor said he doesn't want his dogs getting into any leaking fluids from the trucks. They got the animal containment law explained to them!! The newbies also asked the environmental officer what can be done about the smell and noise from the horses across the road🙄🙄! I told him just wait until my donkey brays at 4am when I get up. Buddy always announces when I take Bear out of a morning. Buddy announced everything!!😃🙉
I read this after I posted my post about the donkey.

We have friends in Washington State who bought a little acreage for their horses. They got a donkey and the neighbors didn't appreciate the braying at 4 am. Nobody appreciated it when the rooster chicks found their voices. Freezer camp for those noisy roosters.

City folks have no idea what comes with country living. Guinea hens (or maybe just hens) get rid of ticks and fleas. I wonder if they eat chiggers too? A few opossums might also do the trick and they are very quiet.:cool:

I work on the farm & have not had a red bug in years. Seem they forgot to google.

If you want to take matters into your own hands, there are natural methods you could try. Chiggers hate apple cider vinegar, so you could mix some with water and spray it along the perimeter of your home—just be sure not to let the mixture touch any plants, as it can cause them to shrivel up.

Use a DEET-containing bug spray to coat clothing (including socks) and bare skin. For a natural option, look for sulfur-based anti-chigger products you can use to coat clothing and skin. Or spray clothes and skin with white distilled vinegar before heading outdoors.
Concrete will not work, by itself.
I just put one drop of Oil of Citronella on each sock!

They want, hold your breathe and thank you California for this...2 and a half million...not gonna happen! They bought it for 700'000$. Appraises at 650'000! My folks paid $56,000 for our place, it now appraises at 460'000! Stupid!! There is a very dirty story as to what is going on with the place behind us. Hope decent people get it!!
I think real estate is just crazy and ridiculous everywhere. I got a deal because a neighbor was going to sue HUD because it was vacant for so long, and HUD needed to get rid of the property ASAP. I was talking to a neighbor who didn't realize how little I had paid for my property, now valued at about 30 times more than what I paid. Everyone tells me I stole this property. Nope. It was all done legally. I was in the right place at the right time.

Latest posts

Back