New to the site

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum Joe. The wife and I used to live outside of Palmer for a number of years. We both worked on the Slope for a long time, in fact the wife quit her job a little over a year ago because of the covid BS and the hassle of traveling to and from Alaska.
The first time I went to Alaska was in 1975. Its a different state now.

Hello and a warm welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon, I fully understand what you are talking about as we did a lot of research as to where we wanted to be and as it has turned out, due to the leftist type of state government we have here, we're giving second thoughts as to this being where we should be, that being said, we're too old to go somewhere else and with the grace of God we'll just stick out our last days where we are now, thankfully we are a long way from the state government here and they don't pay much attention to our area. Anyway, all the best to you and I do hope you find a good place to end up.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Hashbrown lives in the area in which you are most interested, and he would be the most helpful, but I would be happy to help with any info I can provide. There is a You Tube channel you might want to watch. Their community is also in the Ozarks, Viking Preparedness. Welcome aboard.

Chaos approaches - What to do NOW - YouTube

OK........hope you find what you are looking for.
:confused2:

Very diplomatic of you @Sourdough .

Joseph,

Sourdough has lived the life, walked the walk...

Bush pilot, 50 gal. caches buried in the wilderness, more grizzlies as neighbors than humans, only one trip to town a year... etc.

;)

I was getting some pop corn ready for an interesting discussion.

We each have to choose our own paths based on what we believe and why we believe it.

Welcome to the forum Joseph.

Ben

Welcome aboard. As SoJer would say, my 2 cents: be cautious of predetermined "communities" that might or might not fit the bill. Find someplace that suits your basic criteria and help build the community you desire it to be. Community is a very important word to me.

Welcome from the mountains and high desert of Southern California

@AK Joseph I was looking at big parcels of wildlands in Arkansas last year or further back, found some really cool places with water sources, caves, woods, etc. I hope you find something quickly, seems like some stuff goes fast on the market.
Also saw some “nice” properties, acreage, in north Texas, not quite in the panhandle, but awesome rock formations, views, river, grasslands. The one sold quickly, was about 100 acres. A lot of these are sold specifically for hunting, but I’d live out there. The Comanches used to, sort of.o_O

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Hashbrown lives in the area in which you are most interested, and he would be the most helpful, but I would be happy to help with any info I can provide. There is a You Tube channel you might want to watch. Their community is also in the Ozarks, Viking Preparedness. Welcome aboard.

Chaos approaches - What to do NOW - YouTube
I will definitely check them out, thank you!!

@AK Joseph I was looking at big parcels of wildlands in Arkansas last year or further back, found some really cool places with water sources, caves, woods, etc. I hope you find something quickly, seems like some stuff goes fast on the market.
Also saw some “nice” properties, acreage, in north Texas, not quite in the panhandle, but awesome rock formations, views, river, grasslands. The one sold quickly, was about 100 acres. A lot of these are sold specifically for hunting, but I’d live out there. The Comanches used to, sort of.o_O
I have been looking in Arkansas quite a bit. It's between there, Missouri and Ohio at this point.

Welcome aboard. As SoJer would say, my 2 cents: be cautious of predetermined "communities" that might or might not fit the bill. Find someplace that suits your basic criteria and help build the community you desire it to be. Community is a very important word to me.
It's an important word to me as well, very much so. I would definitely not just jump into anything. Mostly I think I just want to live in vicinity of like minded people and the community will develop.

:confused2:

Very diplomatic of you @Sourdough .

Joseph,

Sourdough has lived the life, walked the walk...

Bush pilot, 50 gal. caches buried in the wilderness, more grizzlies as neighbors than humans, only one trip to town a year... etc.

;)

I was getting some pop corn ready for an interesting discussion.

We each have to choose our own paths based on what we believe and why we believe it.

Welcome to the forum Joseph.

Ben
I'm certain that @Sourdough and I could have very involved and fantastic discussions about Alaska, and just because I challenge doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful, as I said, I'm willing to be proven wrong. I love having these discussions, it's probably what I'm most passionate about on this earth other than my family. Trying to secure a location that will help insure the survivability of my future generations is my highest priority in life.

You mention being a bush pilot, that is one of those things that makes living in Alaska really amazing. Though I don't have a plane, I am entirely dependent on all my equipment to get around up here and that has become a big concern of mine recently. You can manufacture your own diesel and change all your motors over but easier said than done. I am speaking in regards to a SHTF scenario of course.

I have put in a lot of foot miles in Alaska, I hunted Moose successfully for three years mostly on foot and I promise you, you would be hard pressed to find more difficult terrain to navigate, muskegs and swamps are at every turn. I literally had a United States Marine give up half way through a Moose hunt a few years ago and I had to spend the night in the woods with no sleeping gear with him so he didn't die. This is the most rugged land there is. In the lower 48 you rarely have to give much consideration on how you will get from one place to another. You can spend an entire day trying to strategize how to get a few miles here.

Alaskan people are the strongest, hardiest people I have ever encountered in. my life, I have lived all over the world and have never met tougher. I always say there is only one thing an Alaskan can't handle, that's 70 degrees. They are hard because this land is hard, the challenge of it is what brought me here. I chased a herd of Caribou for 3 days on foot in -30 before I could get a good shot, and experiences like that cannot be described in words.

I truly love Alaska and have nothing bad to say about it aside from how certain politics are being handled right now. I came here to build a place of permanence for my family. I have two daughters that live out of state and they are unvaccinated as well. If they cannot access what I am trying to build for them then it's all for naught. If I were a single man without 4 children Alaska becomes a dream location, however one cannot stay completely isolated, in which lies the other issue I raised. I don't know, maybe @Sourdough has different experiences with this up here, but from my experience, people in Alaska are the leave me the hell alone types, not always of course, some extremely hospitable folks as well, warm and loving. I just don't see many people valuing a true sense of community in the great north.

Of course every place has it's little pockets that defy the stereotypical norm, that is to be expected, I am speaking in general terms in regards to certain locations, the further towards the South you get, the more the communal spirit is present from my experience. That is something that has become really important to me the last couple of years being forced to be away from people.

I have no doubt that @Sourdough is a genuine Alaskan B.A. and that we would probably see eye to eye on about 90%.

I'm certain that @Sourdough and I could have very involved and fantastic discussions about Alaska, and just because I challenge doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful, as I said, I'm willing to be proven wrong. I love having these discussions, it's probably what I'm most passionate about on this earth other than my family. Trying to secure a location that will help insure the survivability of my future generations is my highest priority in life.

You mention being a bush pilot, that is one of those things that makes living in Alaska really amazing. Though I don't have a plane, I am entirely dependent on all my equipment to get around up here and that has become a big concern of mine recently. You can manufacture your own diesel and change all your motors over but easier said than done. I am speaking in regards to a SHTF scenario of course.

I have put in a lot of foot miles in Alaska, I hunted Moose successfully for three years mostly on foot and I promise you, you would be hard pressed to find more difficult terrain to navigate, muskegs and swamps are at every turn. I literally had a United States Marine give up half way through a Moose hunt a few years ago and I had to spend the night in the woods with no sleeping gear with him so he didn't die. This is the most rugged land there is. In the lower 48 you rarely have to give much consideration on how you will get from one place to another. You can spend an entire day trying to strategize how to get a few miles here.

Alaskan people are the strongest, hardiest people I have ever encountered in. my life, I have lived all over the world and have never met tougher. I always say there is only one thing an Alaskan can't handle, that's 70 degrees. They are hard because this land is hard, the challenge of it is what brought me here. I chased a herd of Caribou for 3 days on foot in -30 before I could get a good shot, and experiences like that cannot be described in words.

I truly love Alaska and have nothing bad to say about it aside from how certain politics are being handled right now. I came here to build a place of permanence for my family. I have two daughters that live out of state and they are unvaccinated as well. If they cannot access what I am trying to build for them then it's all for naught. If I were a single man without 4 children Alaska becomes a dream location, however one cannot stay completely isolated, in which lies the other issue I raised. I don't know, maybe @Sourdough has different experiences with this up here, but from my experience, people in Alaska are the leave me the hell alone types, not always of course, some extremely hospitable folks as well, warm and loving. I just don't see many people valuing a true sense of community in the great north.

Of course every place has it's little pockets that defy the stereotypical norm, that is to be expected, I am speaking in general terms in regards to certain locations, the further towards the South you get, the more the communal spirit is present from my experience. That is something that has become really important to me the last couple of years being forced to be away from people.

I have no doubt that @Sourdough is a genuine Alaskan B.A. and that we would probably see eye to eye on about 90%.
It's a huge shame when politics ruin things!

Latest posts

Back