New year resolutions?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get our house sold, get well dug, road in and septic in at new property, plus build chicken coop and greenhouse, get solar and wind power in. No big deal. haha :D
@DrJenner I was wondering today how things were going for you. Everything takes longer and costs more. Celebrate the little victories before long they will all be behind you. I know I mentioned this before but I really wish we had kept a journal to look back on. Or to show the grandkids someday. Maybe they won't sell it.

Last edited:
So I've really struggled coming up with goals/resolutions for this year. I normally come up with goals for the year, and them some steps/resolutions to meet the goals. Finally sat down this morning and they just came to me, so here's my 2023 goals in no particular order:
  • don't sacrifice my happiness for others
  • be happy/satisfied with what I have
  • make better use of my resources/waste less
  • de-clutter/minimize/organize
  • take care of/improve the house & yard
  • reduce my debit significantly (and not create more)
  • take care of my health
  • continue to grow/heal mentally, emotionally & spiritually
Each of these have several resolutions I won't bore you with, except to pass on a big thank you to many members of this forum who have inspired me to start replacing chemical supplements/meds with natural alternatives wherever possible (one of the steps under "take care of my health"). :D

@DrJenner I was wondering today how things were going for you. Everything takes longer and costs more. Celebrate the little victories before long they will all be behind you. I know I mentioned this before but I really wish we had kept a journal to look back on. Or to show the grandkids someday. Maybe they won't sell it.
Thanks for thinking of us. Pretty much got most of this list done, sans septic, greenhouse, chicken coop and wind power. Solar is pretty much done. The early winter thwarted our plans!
Good idea on the journal, I have been wanting to keep one since the beginning of 2020, but never found the time.
In addition to the homesteading, I want to start writing a book.

I would take hundreds of pictures of everything and store them on a USB drive in a logical order.
My memory isn't what it used to be and I kick myself for not having pictures of simple things like the drain field or buried water and power lines.
Someone made a suggestion to get an email address for your house and use that to communicate with contractors or any one else you deal with for home issues. That way things will be easier to find later on.
To keep this on topic.
New Years resolution. I will try to stop going off topic. :)

My resolution is to find another piece of land in an area that (almost) never snows. A place with green grass all summer, an area with decent rainfall, running water and where I don't have to feed cows and break ice 7 months out of the year.
Good luck! If you do find the garden of Eden… I will gladly be your neighbor.

My resolution is to find another piece of land in an area that (almost) never snows. A place with green grass all summer, an area with decent rainfall, running water and where I don't have to feed cows and break ice 7 months out of the year.
Hey we fit that definition! :thumbs:
Just bring your hurricane umbrella because we spin the biggest roulette wheel you ever saw, 3 months out of the year....
C'mon double-zero!!!:woo hoo:
11599394-roulette-wheel-on-00.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really make resolutions, more of an 'I'd like to' list. If I get it done within the year, great, if not, it's a carryover.
So this year I'm ticking off one of my carryovers to achieve an Honours degree. I intend to extend the veg garden, and exercise more, for health reasons, not because I like it!
I know I can tighten up my spending more also. Having typed that, I realise everything I want to do is 'more'. more growing, more reading, more writing, more crafts. Each week I want to tick off something from my Pinterest board that I've made.
I'm in a better place having given up my job a year ago, and my family are happy, so I think if I can just keep everyone happy and healthy everything else will fall into place. Que sera, sera.

I just came up with a new resolution. Sometime in 2023 I'm going to take a day and do absolutely nothing, except chores of course. I plan to sleep in until at least 6 and just sit around the house in my underwear until noon, maybe longer. Most importantly, a day without the old woman nagging. I guess we can dream.

I just came up with a new resolution. Sometime in 2023 I'm going to take a day and do absolutely nothing, except chores of course. I plan to sleep in until at least 6 and just sit around the house in my underwear until noon, maybe longer. Most importantly, a day without the old woman nagging. I guess we can dream.
Got ya covered Working from home I frequently work all day wearing only underwear and a t-shirt and lip flops, Heck man, I walk out on the porch in my tidy whities now the wife thing, Bro you are on your own, try some hallway sex that helps, when you pass each other in the hallway say FU!! Lol (just kidding)

I'm in the "no resolutions" camp, too. I'd actually forgotten completely about the idea of them until reading through a list of "What's new".

I have lots of ideas on things I want to do or do better this year than last but that has very little to do with a date on a calendar. Not much of my world revolves around what year it is as I'm much more in tune with what "season" it is and when is the time I need to be planting what seeds, when to prune the fruit trees and grape vines, that kind of thing.

Speaking of calendars, I had a fairly hard time getting them this year. Seems in years past, freebies abounded from various businesses. This year, we managed to snag only one. Maybe that's a sign of struggling businesses. (?)

Got ya covered Working from home I frequently work all day wearing only underwear and a t-shirt and lip flops, Heck man, I walk out on the porch in my tidy whities now the wife thing, Bro you are on your own, try some hallway sex that helps, when you pass each other in the hallway say FU!! Lol (just kidding)
Lip Flops. Noted!

Mine is to more fully adhere to the first item in my sig line below, and to listen more closely to His voice.

Latest posts

Back