New year resolutions?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I resolve to smoke, drink, eat whatever I want, and continue to be a dirty old man and a pestilence to those who insist they are my betters. I will continue to be angry, rueful, and disgusted at the world at large and hateful, malicious, and spiteful toward any and all who would curtail my freedoms as an American and a human being, and to continue to be the embodiment of all that is evil to woke culture.

nice! A little change for the better. :)

Play music everyday (have already been doing that since september). And find folks to pick bluegrass with each week. There is no substitute for playing live. That's proving to be much more difficult, no one plays anymore.

This one is big... there is effectively no medical care for those destitute in my area, some of the elderly, homeless and a few vets. I angers me every time I go to the VA. The buildings are surrounded by a plant that would help every vet who enters. Yet on the inside they are given pills from big pharma that make them dependent. Pills that do not heal but instead enslaves them.

I've been exploring ways to open some type of free clinic. With my disabilities I could never run such a place but I can supply one with any medicinal plants they might need. I already donate plants to similar situations in other states and cities. Why not here?

I need to find some young herbalist(s) who is a crusader. What I envision won't work without one. Probably a pipe dream but everyone needs one of those, right? :)

Me, either! I do not make New Year's resolutions. I am not all about New Years. I have gone to bed before midnight since I was in my early 20's. Blame it on getting my heart broken on a New Year's Day and that was it.

I am not traditional about all the expectations that are put on us for all the holidays and celebrations. I do participate in some, but I am not someone who gets bent out of shape about no Christmas tree, no Valentine, no turkey. My daughter is more so, especially about Thanksgiving, but not even as traditional as many people. She has had years when I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said, "Nothing. Don't buy me anything."
Daughter and I were texting about the no Christmas gifts for several years. Did she get what she needed at other times? Yes! She was in college and her laptop was 10 years old, so I bought her a new one. It wasn't her birthday or Christmas, but she needed an upgrade. And then said "Don't get me anything for Christmas."

I still do not do New Year's resolutions! How many people make them and never follow through?

I have made lists of things to get done. Some of the things on the list do get done, some don't.

Well, I do intend to finish all the rehab work on my home, but that was already on the agenda anyway... I reckon we can call it a New Year's resolution if that'll make anybody feel better, lol. Otherwise, I'm with Magus on the "resolutions." ;)

Folks that make resolutions not to drink crack me up, especially when they try to get all "Holier Than Thou" on me... as an 'unrepentant sinner' I intend to BOOST my alcohol consumption whenever possible, lol. :thumbs:

With all the 'Doom & Gloom' sprayed by some site members, it's a real wonder that they do NOT start drinking heavily, aye? I mean seriously, why NOT drink if the world's coming to an end? Whaddya have to lose, your reputation? Lol. 😒

Last edited:
Read, or re-read a BOOK, fifteen minutes a day?

You must do something to counter effect the constant attack on your super computer? Marketing, main stream media, social media, Hollywood, Washington DC, video games. Did I leave anything out?

My new years resolution was going to be to turn over a new leaf, but I'd probably just end up smoking that too. but really I just want to lose enough weight that my belly doesn't jiggle when I brush my teeth.
I agree, it will not be fun, but if I do not do it, I will have to buy a new wardrobe.

I can't say that these are resolutions, but more of goals for 2023.

1) Finish paying off our debt (we are so close! Should be debt free by June of 23 if all works out!)
2) Clear the 1/2 acre lot adjacent to ours that we purchased. Has an old house on it and a ton of junk that needs cleared off, and is majorly overgrown.
3) Learn how to play the banjo that I bought back during the C word craziness.

My new years resolution was going to be to turn over a new leaf, but I'd probably just end up smoking that too. but really I just want to lose enough weight that my belly doesn't jiggle when I brush my teeth.
My resolution: to cling desperately to the 3 pounds of much-needed weight I managed to gain in 2022, all the way thru 2023 :).
Fortunately most people will never know what a pain it is when your 'weight-problem' goes in the opposite direction.:confused:
I don't wanna be this guy:
0.jpg

Last edited:
My resolution: to cling desperately to the 3 pounds of much-needed weight I managed to gain in 2022, all the way thru 2023 :).
Fortunately most people will never know what a pain it is when your 'weight-problem' goes in the opposite direction.:confused:
That was last year’s resolution that I failed at I’ll have to think about what I’m failing at in the coming year.

My New Year's resolution for 2023 is to start prepping. Like having two or even three frozen pizzas on hand.

So this afternoon I got out a calendar for next year, looked up our last frost date, went through February through September and calendered when things should be seeded in ground, in the greenhouse, seeded for fall plants, etc.....So that's a start. I'm starting to think about other projects that I need to start, and they'll be calendered next. I feel better when I'm organized.
This is such a fantastic idea!

This one is big... there is effectively no medical care for those destitute in my area, some of the elderly, homeless and a few vets. I angers me every time I go to the VA. The buildings are surrounded by a plant that would help every vet who enters. Yet on the inside they are given pills from big pharma that make them dependent. Pills that do not heal but instead enslaves them.

I've been exploring ways to open some type of free clinic. With my disabilities I could never run such a place but I can supply one with any medicinal plants they might need. I already donate plants to similar situations in other states and cities. Why not here?

I need to find some young herbalist(s) who is a crusader. What I envision won't work without one. Probably a pipe dream but everyone needs one of those, right? :)
I LOVE this idea! Wouldn't it be great if all of us had such a place to turn to instead of the Big Pharma pharmacies? I would definitely donate to a local place that could do what you propose.

Around here, we have pot retailers and that's about it. I'm not saying that cannibus can't do better than big pharma, but there's so much more than that......as Peanut has shown us over the years.

ETA: I don't do New Year's resolutions, but we will be doing more in home cooking that includes less carbs and more veges. Those holiday gifts of delicious treats need to go away. LOL!

Resolutions...hmm.

I want to be more consistent with the things I really enjoy now my youngest is nearly 3 (how did that happen?!) I want to continue to work on my blog, getting posts out twice a week and remembering to take photos when we are doing work. I love writing, and it brings me so much value and enjoyment.

I want to be more consistent with the gardening too and make time for the things I love like sewing on a regular basis. It's all too easy to get swept up in jobs with a family. Now my youngest is becoming a little more independent I'm looking forward to a little more time.

My resolution is to find another piece of land in an area that (almost) never snows. A place with green grass all summer, an area with decent rainfall, running water and where I don't have to feed cows and break ice 7 months out of the year.
I am now convinced there is NO place in the US that has decent weather. YOu might as well stay where you are or move to another country. It is way too hot in Florida ( lived there most of my life) . You can just look at the unhealthy looking deer there and know its not a good place
The east coast has too much rain, and snow in winter, and is cold in many places. The west is too dry. The middle is either too cold or too hot and either has too much rain or not enough. Take your pick. It's all bad lol

Well, we have to break ice about a month out of the year, and I can't drive my Challenger for about 2 months out of the year because of road conditions, so I drive the truck. It does get very hot for a month. We were down to negative 7 last week, but right now it's 45 degrees and clear. Ha.
The only thing I don't like about our weather here is the wind. Otherwise, it's really not too bad.
After reading how I calendered last years planting stuff (it really helped)...I think I'll do it again and transfer the info over before throwing out my old calender. The only other thing I want to add is more patience. It used to take a lot to rattle me, and I see I need to work on that a bit.

Latest posts

Back