Non ethanol fuel!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son runs his car on E85. That's 85% ethanol I presume. His gas mileage goes down, but it's lots cheaper for him to buy E85 than normal gas. And the E85 station is right around the corner from his house. Overall, his cost-per-mile is cheaper running E85 than running whatever our "normal" gas is around here (E10 or E15 I'd guess?) As a bonus, he gets a significant horsepower boost running E85. It's like a gain of 35 to 50 horsepower, I can't remember exactly the number that he said.

I don't think most cars can switch between gas types, and if they can, they aren't going to be cheaper on E85 like my sons. They're going to be more expensive. And I also believe that E85 is rougher on components than normal gas. But my son has special components in his car that will run whatever gas he puts in there without damage. His is some kind of hopped up rally car. Special engine block, turbo, other components, and stuff. Part of that is a "tune" for maximum power given the exact components that are installed. The tune (along with the specific components installed) also gives him the ability to switch between normal gas and E85 at the touch of a button on the cars computer. He normally runs E85 because it's cheaper and gives him more power. Who wouldn't? But I think that's unique to his car's components/tune.

On weird for E85 that my son mentioned is in extreme cold weather. With a cold engine, you start it, and it doesn't run perfectly. So you turn it off and restart it. Then it runs perfectly. That super slight bit of engine heating is what does the trick. This is a known anomaly for E85 in whatever engine setup he is running. It only happens with a cold engine in frigid temps. No harm done. Just an E85 anomaly. Maybe it's caused by the specific tune he has, that is optimized for running performance rather than starting performance. I don't know.

Anyway, my roundabout point was - ethanol mixed in gas is not always a bad thing. Depending on what you are doing with it and what you're putting it in.

(FWIW, my sons car will blow our V8 Mustang away. Absolutely obliterate it. And his car is tuned for rally, not straight line speed/acceleration.)

a bargain if you don't or aren't able to clean your own carbs on small gas powered units. Around here it is $100 per hour or even more by flat rate to have a shop work on stuff. I have about 10 gas engined things that I store either for the summer or winter. We are lucky here in montana because they switch to a winter mix gas so it will start and run at -40. This also seems to have more aromatics so it keeps for two years in a sealed steel drum.
eh. I've found the ethanol thing is overblown. A shot or two of carb cleaner always seems to do the trick anytime one acts up....but that is rare anyway.

Maybe it IS because I'm in MT....I dunno. I just never have had much trouble with small engines. Biggest PIA I ever have is breaking pull start cords. I go through more of those than I do carbs.

Of course, I am pretty good about draining carbs etc when not in use too.

Its just not a big enough concern for me to make a special effort to drive to the other end of the county to get ethanal free.

E-85 can only be used in vehicles marked Flex Fuel. Unless you have specially modified a standard vehicle.
Ethanol is corrosive to many vehicle components. For example, the fuel lines need to be stainless steel.
E-10 (10% ethanol) is as high as normal vehicles can safely handle. Biden wanted to make regular gasoline E-15, but saner heads convinced him otherwise.
But the corn industry lobbyists are always pushing to have E-15 mandatory.

No choice here. Only one place I know that sells non-ethonal gas, its 100 mile round trip and its $.50 a more per gallon.
Mobil stations sell it even if they're not allowed to advertise the fact. Some blue counties will not let them. Real gas is ALL I use.

We have had some problems with our Ranger ( UTV) starting in cold weather and I reseached it. Says do not use fuel with ethanol in it in winter. We didn't know that. So now we spend a little more and get the non ethanol fuel to put in it, and it's been starting and running much better. We still have some ethanol fuel stored that is about to get dumped in the regular vehicles and then we will only store the non ethanol stuff for the UTV . ATV and small equipment. We are lucky the closest gas station we have near us had non ethanol fuel ( they have off road Diesel for our tractor also, it's pink) , and Kerosene

I use only non ethanol premium fuel in all of our small engines, ATV's, utv, generators, snow blowers, wood splitter, welder, chainsaws etc. I have 275 gallons delivered in the fall. Sure it's expensive, but so is all this equipment. At the same time I have 350 gallons of off road winter diesel delivered. It's a mix of 50/50 stove oil and regular winter diesel.
I also add Stabil to all gas powered equipment that will be stored over the winter.

No choice here. Only one place I know that sells non-ethonal gas, its 100 mile round trip and its $.50 a more per gallon.
Rather than an automotive gas station, check local marinas or small airstrips. Boats and planes like non-ethanol gas. Still will be more expensive, but having replaced carburetors, I now use non-ethanol in everything but my car.

Just saw a video on long term storage of small engines.

1) empty tank
2) run engine to finish all fuel in lines
3) disconnect fuel line from shutoff valve
4) feed small amount of automatic transmision fluid
5) crank engine to get ATF into carb.

Done!

Should keep for years

When using it for first time which normal gas. There will be a puff of smoke from the ATF but should run ok after that.

Ben
I would add using a fogging oil to fog the cylinder.

I used to use non-ethanol for small engines but changed my ways.
I use E-10 then add SeaFoam if an engine is going to sit for awhile. The E-10 with SeaFoam has been in my generators for 2 years and the generators run fine. (I did drain all that gas yesterday and put in fresh).
I just make it a point to run my engines so they don't sit long and get gummed up.

I believe all they sell in Alaska is non ethanol. The folks have a 500 gallon tank. I had it filled and added Sta-Bil and Marvel Mystery Oil the day it was delivered.

I love spell check but the auto correct drives me nuts.

We have had some problems with our Ranger ( UTV) starting in cold weather and I reseached it. Says do not use fuel with ethanol in it in winter. We didn't know that. So now we spend a little more and get the non ethanol fuel to put in it, and it's been starting and running much better. We still have some ethanol fuel stored that is about to get dumped in the regular vehicles and then we will only store the non ethanol stuff for the UTV . ATV and small equipment. We are lucky the closest gas station we have near us had non ethanol fuel ( they have off road Diesel for our tractor also, it's pink) , and Kerosene
There used to be a product called fuel booster for 0bama-gas, but the EPA might have banned it.

It's still available it seems.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethanol-Perf...ha6uqqvewSvJsmiHHmkXhVaEwzBoCzWgQAvD_BwE&th=1

Rather than an automotive gas station, check local marinas or small airstrips. Boats and planes like non-ethanol gas. Still will be more expensive, but having replaced carburetors, I now use non-ethanol in everything but my car.

Yes, its a marina that has the gas.

I've never had to replace a carburetor. Just clean them.

Latest posts

Back