Nonperishables that can outlive you

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
An older article, but still interesting with good information.

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/best-survival-food/

The Best Survival Foods: Non-Perishables That Can Outlive You

February 10, 2014 By Elise Xavier | Updated: May 25, 2017

Whether you’re sick of throwing out food that’s long past its expiry date, or are working on preparing a food stockpile in case of an emergency, consumables that practically never spoil can be a huge asset to your household. This article lists non-perishable food items that not only have long shelf lives, but if taken care of properly, these foods stand a chance of never going bad within your lifetime.

These ideal survival foods will of course need to be stored the right way in order to retain their practically never-ending shelf life. The absolute best place to keep a food stockpile is in a dark, cool, and dry spot, free of humidity, moisture, direct sunlight, and extreme temperatures. Keeping consumables in an air-tight container, or better yet, vacuum packed, is also very important to increasing shelf life.

Although many non-perishable survival foods may change flavour and/or texture over the years, they remain edible and perfectly safe for consumption over indefinite periods of time. Use your senses to judge whether or not food with long shelf life has expired. If it smells off, has become too soft, or has developed mold, it’s better not to eat the item.

1. Staple survival foods that are non-perishable

You’ll need to be really careful about keeping these completely dry and free from moisture, but if you can manage to store these in air-tight containers, they will keep for an incredibly long period of time.

• Rice: white, wild, jasmine, Arborio and basmati (brown rice does not keep forever)
  • Hardtack crackers/biscuits
  • Dried cranberries
2. Other survival foods that are non-perishable

Although some of these food items will change texture, thickening or hardening over time, they will only change in terms of taste. These survival foods never spoil, and will still remain edible long after their flavour has changed.

3. Survival foods that if frozen are non-perishable

Though these non-perishable foods last a long time if they’re left out in the open, if they’re frozen, their shelf life extends to indefinite amounts of time.

• Dried pasta
  • Noodles
  • Dried fruits (such as raisins, dried cranberries, dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried apricots, dried mangoes, dates, dried blueberries, dried plums, banana chips, figs)
  • Instant/freeze-dried coffee

4. Base ingredients that are non-perishable
Apparently, these base ingredients can be the perfect survival food. According to some sources, if you simply keep them unused, in an air-tight container and completely free of humidity and moisture, and you’re likely to never have to buy them again.

• Corn starch
  • Baking soda
  • Corn syrup
5. Seasonings that are non-perishable

Seasonings are also excellent survival foods, as they’re food that lasts forever, and only get weaker in strength of taste over long periods of time. Like with the base ingredients, keep these in an air-tight container, free of moisture and humidity, and they’re likely to never expire.

• Salt
  • Sugar
  • Pepper
  • Spices
  • Dried herbs
  • Pure flavour extracts (pure vanilla extract, etc.)
6. Condiments that are non-perishable
While these foods will likely change in taste after some time, they remain safe to eat indefinitely. The best way to keep these non-perishable foods is in an airtight container, free of moisture, and in a dark, cool spot, away from sunlight. This type of storage will keep your non-perishable food condiments tasting better for longer.

• Vinegar (white, apple, balsamic, raspberry, rice wine, and red wine vinegar)
  • Worcestershire sauce (unopened)
7. Survival drinks that are non-perishable
Non-perishable drinks are another asset you can add to your survival food stockpile. Any alcohol over 10% that does not contain eggs, milk, and other dairy derivatives (ex. not Baileys, Tia Maria, etc.) should typically last forever in a stockpile. Alcohol also has disinfectant and medicinal properties, so keeping it stocked, especially when it never goes bad, is definitely a good idea for any prepper. Learn more about the best alcohol to stockpile here.

• Wine
  • Spirits
  • Liquors

Your choices go up the older you get....

This is very true.
The wife and I were just discussing this a couple days ago.

Our buying for long term stockpiling or storage for shtf has changed drastically over the past 10 years.

As we have aged , we are not buying certain items, or at least not as much as we did .

We always thought about 20-30 years of certain items to be enough.
Now we don't have 20-30 years to live most likely.

So we are using up more of our storage. And not replacing it.

Did any of that make sense?

Jim

Makes perfect sense @phideaux to me. As you get older you don't eat as much (or shouldn't and have smaller amount of portions of certain foods) and your tastes change too or at least they have with us. Most people still think I eat a lot anyway but up until now my heart rate was really high but now they have medicated me for that to control it.

My parents are in the same boat. It seems as they downsize and minimize in retirement that they are gardening and canning more than they used to (including meats) but they are buying less long term stuff.

This was also the first year my Dad did not layout a chunk of money on ammo. Now he just takes ammo from me!

Interesting article. There are a few things that are not included such as sugar and wheat, that I saw. Of course, many of us don't consume them anyway, but I always think of them as staples, and in the case there is nothing else, they will fill the gap. Yes, store what you eat and eat what you store, but I'd bet if nothing else was available, we'd all eat some bread, especially if it was fresh and hot out of the oven.

Yes, store what you eat and eat what you store, but I'd bet if nothing else was available, we'd all eat some bread, especially if it was fresh and hot out of the oven.

That's why I don't follow the 'store what you eat, eat what you store' mantra. I would grill up a dumpster rat if I was hungry enough. So whatever food I store is going to be a Godsend if the day comes I need it. Even if it is loaf of bread and a glass of sugary Koolaid. Which is why I store rice and other staples, even if I don't eat them now.

That's why I don't follow the 'store what you eat, eat what you store' mantra. I would grill up a dumpster rat if I was hungry enough. So whatever food I store is going to be a Godsend if the day comes I need it. Even if it is loaf of bread and a glass of sugary Koolaid. Which is why I store rice and other staples, even if I don't eat them now.
Yes, me as well. It would be really hard to see your family starving because you had nothing versus having the opportunity to eat something that will sustain them. Things like rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal (canned) are so inexpensive and relatively easy to store for long term. My thought is that any of it can be potentially augmented with gardens and foraging finds.

I have lowered my carb intake considerably. I now have enough rice, wheat, flour, sugar, pasta, oatmeal, and honey to last me the rest of my life. I follow the store what you eat mantra but now that my eating habits have changed I'm not throwing out any food. I do have some crackers and dry cereal that will go to my friends chickens. That will empty the shelves for needed space.

I really should add that I do stock keto foods for potential short term emergencies, say 1-180 days. Canned meats and vegetables, dehydrated meats and vegetables, various fats, etc. But after that I will be adding in other foods to supplement.

I'm not on keto any more @Sentry18,
Stayed on it a long time.
Went from 260 to 220 last year.
Been hoverig between 225 and 230 now for long time just by leaving carbs off my diet.
Except for an occasional milk shake
I feel great at this weight and will maintain it.

BTW, did I ever thank you for encouraging me to go keto a couple years ago, which has been my inspiration. Once you go there you really don't want to go back to the old way.

Thanks

Jim

I really should add that I do stock keto foods for potential short term emergencies, say 1-180 days. Canned meats and vegetables, dehydrated meats and vegetables, various fats, etc. But after that I will be adding in other foods to supplement.
I have some canned meats but feel this is my weakest supply. I buy it, I eat it. Canned chicken doesn't last long here. It is also not cheap.

For a year's supply, which seems to be a standard mark, an individual, a can a week--52 cans. Two a week, 104 cans. A can a day, 365. For a family, it would really need to be much more.

I did get some canned beef at Costco a few years ago and haven't seen it there in a while.

I haven't bought tuna since shortly after Fukishima blew.

Spam is everywhere, and in spite of having some, I rarely eat it. I'd bet like other things, if it was the only meat I had, I'd be eating it, in fried rice, sandwiches, omlettes...

Suggestions for canned meat?

I need to stock more long term keto foods. I dropped to 250#, bounced back to 265#, and then back to 252#. 250# is my current goal and then 240#. Now that Sentry is back perhaps I'll do better.

I have canned beef, chicken, tuna (before Fukushima), salmon, and ham. I feel the ham is important to flavour the beans. A pound of ham will flavour 4#-5# of beans and will provide several meals. Beans may not be Keto but beans and cornbread is a complete protein. All the above will last, unless used, longer than I will.

I have some canned meats but feel this is my weakest supply. I buy it, I eat it.

I do store meat in cans, but I was actually referring to canned meats in jars. We have a shop in town where smaller animal producers sell their meats direct to the consumer. We will go buy beef, pork, turkey, and chicken and then can it in cubes. It also doesn't have a long shelf life but it is one of the foods we store that we definitely use.

I need to stock more long term keto foods. I dropped to 250#, bounced back to 265#, and then back to 252#. 250# is my current goal and then 240#. Now that Sentry is back perhaps I'll do better.

We might need to revive that Keto/LCHF thread!

I stock a lot of dehydrated meats, egg whites, veggies, and such. I have also been buying coconut oil which has a shelf life of about 2 years and pure olive oil which lasts about 3 years. Some of my keto storage is in the form a couple freezers too.

BTW, did I ever thank you for encouraging me to go keto a couple years ago, which has been my inspiration. Once you go there you really don't want to go back to the old way.

I believe you did, but either way you're welcome. I understand that staying keto long term is not an easy undertaking and will admit I step outside the restrictions from time to time, especially when my wife makes her chocolate cake. But I feel so good on keto I always end up going back! Glad you are feeling food and living lighter.

I have some canned meats but feel this is my weakest supply. I buy it, I eat it. Canned chicken doesn't last long here. It is also not cheap.

For a year's supply, which seems to be a standard mark, an individual, a can a week--52 cans. Two a week, 104 cans. A can a day, 365. For a family, it would really need to be much more.

I did get some canned beef at Costco a few years ago and haven't seen it there in a while.

I haven't bought tuna since shortly after Fukishima blew.

Spam is everywhere, and in spite of having some, I rarely eat it. I'd bet like other things, if it was the only meat I had, I'd be eating it, in fried rice, sandwiches, omlettes...

Suggestions for canned meat?
Weedy we have little preps and need to re-supply too.

I have canned beef, chicken, tuna (before Fukushima), salmon, and ham. I feel the ham is important to flavour the beans. A pound of ham will flavour 4#-5# of beans and will provide several meals. Beans may not be Keto but beans and cornbread is a complete protein. All the above will last, unless used, longer than I will.

Car I haven't flavored our beans in 30 years. A lady told me about it years ago ,tried it liked it and find the taste of beans great without that after taste. We can ours with salt. Plus no meat they last longer. Meat last a year beans no meat last 5 years.
Everyone loves our canned beans. My 14 yr old grandson ask me not to forget the beans when we visit.
Either way hubby and I are not as prepped as we were.

I believe you did, but either way you're welcome. I understand that staying keto long term is not an easy undertaking and will admit I step outside the restrictions from time to time, especially when my wife makes her chocolate cake. But I feel so good on keto I always end up going back! Glad you are feeling food and living lighter.

We love scratch chocolate cake,yummy.

Car I haven't flavored our beans in 30 years. A lady told me about it years ago ,tried it liked it and find the taste of beans great without that after taste. We can ours with salt. Plus no meat they last longer. Meat last a year beans no meat last 5 years.
Everyone loves our canned beans. My 14 yr old grandson ask me not to forget the beans when we visit.
Either way hubby and I are not as prepped as we were.
I have had my home canned salmon last 20 years when it got forgotten on a back bottom shelf. As long as the seal is good I'm eating it. I love a pot of beans with a ham bone, onion, and Sambal Olek. Plain beans are great for adding to a soup, stew, or casserole.

I have had my home canned salmon last 20 years when it got forgotten on a back bottom shelf. As long as the seal is good I'm eating it. I love a pot of beans with a ham bone, onion, and Sambal Olek. Plain beans are great for adding to a soup, stew, or casserole.
Is your canned salmon canned in jars or cans? Have you ever done any canning in cans? I did a lot of research about canning in cans a few years ago. Never figured out that I could actually do it.

Double chocolate cake with fudge chocolate cream cheese frosting is almost as good as "the only REAL cookie" in the world. Both served with hot black coffee.

Is your canned salmon canned in jars or cans? Have you ever done any canning in cans? I did a lot of research about canning in cans a few years ago. Never figured out that I could actually do it.
I have helped put up salmon in cans but I've never owned a sealer. The local canneries quit selling to the public, due to legal fears. I was able to borrow a sealer once but had little success. I do all my canning in jars and all the stuff I can for myself I use Tattler lids and Ball lids if I think I might gift it.

Well thats the info they give us now and I never did trust em so guess they just wanted us to dump the meat we canned after a year. Dirty scandals.
Plus I don't feel that lucky in case for once they ain't lying. So eat that 20 yr old salmon while you still have emergency room care available, not in shtf situation.;):D Just in case of course.

Double chocolate cake with fudge chocolate cream cheese frosting is almost as good as "the only REAL cookie" in the world. Both served with hot black coffee.

SheepD how do you like my Meercat avatar? Its almost as cute as that sheepdog is beautiful.

And to see how cute it really is click on it for closeup. @Supervisor42 got it for me.:cool:

Well thats the info they give us now and I never did trust em so guess they just wanted us to dump the meat we canned after a year. Dirty scandals.
Plus I don't feel that lucky in case for once they ain't lying. So eat that 20 yr old salmon while you still have emergency room care available, not in shtf situation.;):D Just in case of course.
As long as the seal is good the food inside is also.
https://www.delish.com/food/news/a39005/64-year-old-lard-edible/

My friend in Georgia goes to a LDS or Amish place and they can in metal cans. She has to prepare it and put it in cans they seal them.

Latest posts

Back