Nonperishables that can outlive you

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we live in 'hurricane-land' and can be in a SHTF condition for 30 days or more at any time, we just rotate our non-perishables.
If you actually consume what you store, you find out real quick what is delicious, and what would be just more punishment in an already-bad situation.:barf:
@TheKETOguys: I can't go Keto, I'd have to give up beer!gaah
I'll park the Little Debbie oatmeal cakes if I get desperate:rolleyes:. (fortunately, my weight is under control the last 3 years)
@Meerkat: We need to get avatars for @Caribou and @Woody . It's like people walking around with no pants on:eek:.

Since we live in 'hurricane-land' and can be in a SHTF condition for 30 days or more at any time, we just rotate our non-perishables.
If you actually consume what you store, you find out real quick what is delicious, and what would be just more punishment in an already-bad situation.:barf:
I'll park the Little Debbie oatmeal cakes if I get desperate:rolleyes:. (fortunately, my weight is under control the last 3 years)
@Meerkat: We need to get avatars for @Caribou and @Woody . It's like people walking around with no pants on:eek:.
How'd you know I wasn't wearing any pants?

I have canned beef, chicken, tuna (before Fukushima), salmon, and ham. I feel the ham is important to flavour the beans. A pound of ham will flavour 4#-5# of beans and will provide several meals. Beans may not be Keto but beans and cornbread is a complete protein. All the above will last, unless used, longer than I will.
Oh yes, ham! I have some, but not nearly as many as I would like to have. I think it is one of the things that I put on repeat purchase so I can build up my stock.

I'm not positive about the years, but it's been several , maybe 6-7 that we have opened and eat Vienna Sausages from our storage , in a old unplugged deep freeze.
Now give me some saltines and a can of them little wiennies/ sausages...and I'm good to good.

Not adding any more to my stash of (guessing) 200 cans.

I just don't like it when the juice in the can turns to jelly..you know..when they get chilled.

Pretty sure the ones I have will outlive me
BTW, only Armour brand is good. Other brands really taste like dog food.

64341d05-f070-4058-9620-e0ab17443c8e_1.dc9fab2e23d11d94b674d053cb7e2b09.jpeg

Jim

Last edited:
I don't have any Spam or Vienna sausages in storage. I do have some beef, venison, pork, fish, chicken and turkey canned.

Phideaux, have you read the list of ingredients on those cans? Do you know what they use to line the inside with?
My canned meat has no preservatives and they are in clean, clear glass. (the ham does have salt and other flavorings)

Phideaux, have you read the list of ingredients on those cans? Do you know what they use to line the inside with?
My canned meat has no preservatives and they are in clean, clear glass. (the ham does have salt and other flavorings)
That is why Phideaux has lived so long, he's chemically preserved.

I also can meat and it is also considerably less chemical laden than the alternatives. But if I figure if we enter the end of days, I will take what I can get. And a case of Vienna sausages is a whole lot cheaper than canning a large beef roast.

Yeah I know.
But at 50cents a can, taste ain't bad, nourishment is there, shtf I will be glad to have them.
Now, that being said ...this is not an item we use for daily meals, in this pre shtf times.
Strictly a fill-in for shtf ..cheap eating.

I don't have the ambition, energy, time , or the meats to do all that canning.
20 years ago we did ...not now.

We eat bologny too, its even got chicken peckers in it too , says Carl.

Jim

Yeah I know.
But at 50cents a can, taste ain't bad, nourishment is there, shtf I will be glad to have them.
Now, that being said ...this is not an item we use for daily meals, in this pre shtf times.
Strictly a fill-in for shtf ..cheap eating.

I don't have the ambition, energy, time , or the meats to do all that canning.
20 years ago we did ...not now.

We eat bologny too, its even got chicken peckers in it too , says Carl.

Jim

I used to work in a packing house. Trust me, peckers and lips are on the list! But more perservatives than that. One thing packing houses are well known for...they use everything but the squeal.

I used to work in a packing house. Trust me, peckers and lips are on the list! But more perservatives than that. One thing packing houses are well known for...they use everything but the squeal.

Shush! When it come to hot dogs and canned meats, ignorance is bliss!

I don't have any Spam or Vienna sausages in storage.
Me either. The chemicals in these kinds of things can set off migraine headaches. I have concerns about ham, but it doesn't seem to bother me. :dunno: This is one of the reasons that I haven't eaten many hot dogs, etc. in my life. I did buy Hillshire Farms sausages for years, and thought they were pretty good. I thought I had vetted the ingredients. A few years ago I read the list of ingredients again, and realized I had to cut back on them. I believe they have corn syrup, which is not a migraine trigger, but takes it out of the diet.

I wonder how much these cost?

View attachment 23391
These used to be on grocery store shelves. I was still living at home when they came out. I remember that we had one then. I believe that once I got my own apartment I bought one. They are a little bit weird. They also are not very large because they have to fit in the can. They would be mostly ready to eat in a SHTF situation.

I just saw this post and I agree Car and Woody need one too.

Car a caribou or ship ?Woody a 'Don't tread on me' not sure about Woody.?

Outstanding pic for @Caribou!
I think it should be facing the posts so I flipped it.
Trimmed and resized to 96x96, the avatar would look like this:
Caribou96.JPG

There is only one real "Woody" for @Woody:
woody-station-wagon.jpg

Don't know if it fits his personality or not and will be a struggle to get it into a 96x96 square.
If you guys want something different, just let us release our incredible creativity:D.
Edit: I see Woody has already gotten him one.

Last edited:
I came up with an avatar for woody but it was inappropriate for the forums.

Thank you BacP for saving $6 on that waste product :eek:I had been craving but too cheap to pay the price. :cool:

Outstanding pic for @Caribou!
I think it should be facing the posts so I flipped it.
Trimmed and resized to 96x96, the avatar would look like this:
View attachment 23411
There is only one real "Woody" for @Woody:
View attachment 23412
Don't know if it fits his personality or not and will be a struggle to get it into a 96x96 square.
If you guys want something different, just let us release our incredible creativity:D.
Edit: I see Woody has already gotten him one.

That one is :great:. If Woody likes classic autos of course.

All such great avatar material it will be hard to choose one.

Latest posts

Back