NUTS, let's go!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not prejudice. Love them all. Eat a lot of almonds day to day. Some plain, some lightly salted, some salt and vinegar, honey and when I’m feeling frisky I have wasabi and soy sauce almonds. Wasabi and soy sauce almonds go well with beef jerky 😂
Woooo, wild wasabi🔥

I keep peanuts in the house, eat a lot of them. We used to grow them when I was a kid. Wish I had a good source for peanuts now.

And pecans, lots of pecans. There has always been a dozen or so pecan trees here on the farm. I have a few pieces of pecan pie in the freezer now!

Pecan Pie a  (3).JPG

I don't think I've met a nut that I don't like. We usually buy the large Costco bags of whatever varieties they have in stock. Sometimes we'll splurge and buy Macadamia Nuts or Pine Nuts (I think those are really seeds, not nuts, but I like them anyway!)

My favorite would have to be the lowly peanut. In the shell unsalted or very lightly salted. Or Spanish peanuts (again, lightly salted). Second favorite nut would be the pistachio. Followed closely by cashews, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, macadamias and pine nuts (I think those are really seeds, not nuts, but I like them anyway!) This group comes behind the peanut and pistachio only because they seem richer to me, and I have to go with a much smaller quantity of them. Pecans and walnuts are a slight step down from there. At the end come almonds, not because they are bad, but because I have eaten so many of them that I'm kind of tired of them. But all nuts are good! I will chow down on any of them.

I like them all, but peanuts (not a true nut) is the one I have eaten the most of. We got mix nuts in the shell as a child at Christmas.
I have eaten hickory, Black walnuts & pecans as a child. Pine nut are good too.

We always have them in the house, usually mixed nuts. If I were to vote for a favorite, it would be cashews with pistachios a close second. I have found it impossible to watch a Baseball game without a bag of peanuts. That is distinctly Unamerican.

For years I grew peanuts. Put them in used feed bags for drying, I would roast them raw peanuts in the oven to a golden brown, and a little more.

OMG...the best.

Then we had a giant pecan tree , paper shell pecans, that we would pickup 5 gallon buckets full every year. OMG...soooo good.

Memories 💓

Still buy raw peanuts from local hardware store , that sells them by the lb.

Pistachios are up there also.

Then every other nut .

Even the nuts from HCL ain't bad🤭😊

Jim

We usually only fry nuts in the spring of the year. The wife won’t eat them but the boy and I quite enjoy a good nut fry!

View attachment 82712
Umm...wrong kind of nuts.

The local VFW used to put on a fundraiser every spring, and turkey fries were the main meal. I don't like them. Yuck.

Back