NUTS, let's go!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like peanuts, try raw roasted soy beans they taste like p eanuts

I like boiled in brine peanuts
I usually have a jar of dry roasted pnuts in the cabinet
I do too and I always keep either peanuts or mixed nuts in my pack at work. Crunchy protein with a long shelf life, what's not to like?

I remember as a kid our family roasting peanuts in the oven. They were so good fresh roasted. I liked eating them raw too, but you can't eat too many or you'll get a stomach ache. I haven't seen raw peanuts for sale anywhere recently. I'm sure they're still out there, just not in my local supermarkets.

No salted nuts for me. Brazil nuts, English Walnuts, Hazel nuts, almonds and peanuts. I would share my peanuts with crows but only as a treat. The rest of their food was meat trimmings - mostly fat from roasts and hams. Never bread, I've seen what bread does to them and it is not pretty.

we eat all of them. My favorites are hazelnuts, cashews and brazil nuts..

Anybody else notice in cans of mixed nuts that used to include a few brazil nuts, don't have them anymore??? Is there a shortage of those too???

Found this thread....

I was just eating from a bag of salted, mixed nuts I picked up at Costco. I was thinking, "You know you are old when...you find yourself looking for the brazil nuts." You don't see them as much anymore.

I actually did not like them when I was a kid, but my father and his father always had mixed nuts with lots of giant brazil nuts. Now, whenever I bite into one, I have instant memories of those days...I'm transported back to my grandfather's family room.

Strange, isn't it? I find that there are things I don't like so much as a kid, but love as an adult, just for the memories. Songs are like that for me. There are songs that I hated as a teen, but will turn up today when I hear them, just because they were played all the time back then, and they remind me of good times.

I was just eating from a bag of salted, mixed nuts I picked up at Costco. I was thinking, "You know you are old when...you find yourself looking for the brazil nuts." You don't see them as much anymore.

I actually did not like them when I was a kid, but my father and his father always had mixed nuts with lots of giant brazil nuts. Now, whenever I bite into one, I have instant memories of those days...I'm transported back to my grandfather's family room.

Strange, isn't it? I find that there are things I don't like so much as a kid, but love as an adult, just for the memories. Songs are like that for me. There are songs that I hated as a teen, but will turn up today when I hear them, just because they were played all the time back then, and they remind me of good times.
Memories😍, we only had them at Christmas, and to slow us kids down, they were unshelled.:oops:
And back then in Alabama, they were called 'n'-toes.:rolleyes:
Nuts.com has plenty of shelled ones:
https://nuts.com/nuts/brazilnuts/roasted-and-salted.html
4029_RoastedBrazilNu-QHndHMkd-zoom.jpeg

The ones in our Christmas stockings :( :
brazil__81748.1662138195.jpg

They are not brazil nuts, that what American call them.

castanha-do-pará

The Brazil nut is particularly well known in the Brazilian state of Pará, where it is called castanha-do-pará (Pará nut) and is grown as one of the major commercially traded nuts in the world.

They are not brazil nuts, that what American call them.

castanha-do-pará

The Brazil nut is particularly well known in the Brazilian state of Pará, where it is called castanha-do-pará (Pará nut) and is grown as one of the major commercially traded nuts in the world.
To be fair, I think it is English speakers that call them Brazil nuts, not just "Americans." Curious if our non-American English speakers can confirm or not?

Per Wikipedia:

Some Portuguese speakers say castanha-do-brasil which basically means "brazil (chest)nut."

Spanish speakers call them nuez de Brasil, which basically means "brazil nut" in Spanish. ;)

I guess I never grew up I still don't care for er...um.. Brazil nuts. Most any other nuts I love. I used to special order 10# of raw Spanish peanuts for my peanut brittle every year. I had to quit buying the Costco size cans of peanuts. I love them cashews. A pecan pie is in danger if there is any vanilla ice cream around. I bought a 10# or 20# box of wasabi peanuts once. OMG I hope I never run int another buy like that, they are sooo goood!

Mom had several large jars of mixed nuts that had been in her pantry for an untold number of years. I would dump a jar of nuts on an igloo cooler outside my bedroom window. the dog would go ape when the squirrels came by to eat. There was one that would sit there and eat nuts nose to nose with the dog with only the glass between. I thought I was going to have to buy her a new tail as fast as it was wagging. The beat use ever for nuts. Had to quit that when the bear found the nuts. I want more distance than a pane of glass between me and a bear.

Last edited:
Cashews are my favorite.
Mine too.
Back when I was dieting, I calculated the calories-per-ounce of everything I ate and wrote a big chart.
Far and away, the winner of the #1 slot, was my weakness...
cashew-1296x728-header.jpg

A very potent source of energy. :thumbs:
At the very bottom of the list: lettuce.:(
It takes more energy to chew and digest it, than it provides.

Edit: Not lettuce :rolleyes::
Screenshot_20240215-231244_kindlephoto-337540933.png

Last edited:

Are store-bought cashews safe?​

Roasting or steaming shelled cashews at high temperatures removes any urushiol that may have soaked through their shells and into the nuts, making them safe to consume.

This is why cashews are not sold in stores with their shells still intact, as well as why they’re typically sold roasted or otherwise heat-exposed.

Even cashews labeled as raw in stores have been shelled and heat-treated, either through roasting or steaming, to remove urushiol residue. Raw, in this sense, indicates that they have had nothing else added to them, such as salt or flavoring.

As such, you can be confident that the cashews you purchase from the store are safe to consume, as they’ve been commercially prepared to remove the naturally occurring urushiol.
Store-bought cashews have been carefully processed and prepared to remove any unwanted urushiol residue before they reach consumers. This is true even for commercially prepared cashews labeled as raw.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-cashews-poisonous#safety

According to this site you are right! the so called raw nuts are "Heat-treated", so they are safe.
Good thing I have eaten about seven oz. today.
Learn something every day.
Or are you saying DW is trying to KILL ME??!?

I guess I never grew up I still don't care for er...um.. Brazil nuts. Most any other nuts I love. I used to special order 10# of raw Spanish peanuts for my peanut brittle every year. I had to quit buying the Costco size cans of peanuts. I love them cashews. A pecan pie is in danger if there is any vanilla ice cream around. I bought a 10# or 20# box of wasabi peanuts once. OMG I hope I never run int another buy like that, they are sooo goood!

Mom had several large jars of mixed nuts that had been in her pantry for an untold number of years. I would dump a jar of nuts on an igloo cooler outside my bedroom window. the dog would go ape when the squirrels came by to eat. There was one that would sit there and eat nuts nose to nose with the dog with only the glass between. I thought I was going to have to buy her a new tail as fast as it was wagging. The beat use ever for nuts. Had to quit that when the bear found the nuts. I want more distance than a pane of glass between me and a bear.
Caribou
Make you a pecan pie using y to he directions on a Karo bottle
Then befote you pour the mixture into the pie shell, add 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled, crunchy bacon to the mixture. And 2 shots bourbon.
Cook in a smoker or a bbq pit
Can be cooked in oven

I've gone through lots of favorite nuts over the years. Macadamias, cashews, pine nuts (not actually a nut). But these days, I have come to realize that my favorite switches back and forth between the lowly peanut and the pistachio. And of those, the unsalted roasted peanut in the shell (from Costco - Hoody's brand I think?) and salted roasted pistachios in the shell (also from Costco - Kirkland brand) are my goto's. I am getting a little tired of the cashew, but still like them a lot and eat quite a few. Almonds are on my "definitely tired of these list". Others - pecans, walnuts, macadamias, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, (did I get them all?) - I consider more of an infrequent treat. I can't eat many of these at a time.

Are store-bought cashews safe?​

Roasting or steaming shelled cashews at high temperatures removes any urushiol that may have soaked through their shells and into the nuts, making them safe to consume.

This is why cashews are not sold in stores with their shells still intact, as well as why they’re typically sold roasted or otherwise heat-exposed.

Even cashews labeled as raw in stores have been shelled and heat-treated, either through roasting or steaming, to remove urushiol residue. Raw, in this sense, indicates that they have had nothing else added to them, such as salt or flavoring.

As such, you can be confident that the cashews you purchase from the store are safe to consume, as they’ve been commercially prepared to remove the naturally occurring urushiol.
Store-bought cashews have been carefully processed and prepared to remove any unwanted urushiol residue before they reach consumers. This is true even for commercially prepared cashews labeled as raw.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-cashews-poisonous#safety

According to this site you are right! the so called raw nuts are "Heat-treated", so they are safe.
Good thing I have eaten about seven oz. today.
Learn something every day.
Or are you saying DW is trying to KILL ME??!?
Wasn't aware of that. If mine ever start producing, I'll have to do a heat treat

Latest posts

Back