One of my hobbies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of my favorite activities is to scrounge up broken tools and fix them or put in new handles. I come across lots of tools needing handes. Usually rusted up too. These tool heads are usually cheap or free. Many times they are better than a new one. I probably have way too many tools

I thought I was the only one doing that.
I worked for a Fortune 500 company, people would throw tools in the trash. Screwdrivers with broken tips, rusty tools, gunked up tools, missing or broken handles. Nutdrivers & hex keys, I would clean them up.
I have 25 box cutters, boss gave them to me because thay were not safety type. I found 12 turnbuckles in the trash, new never used, ask the boss, she said no one signed them out in over a year, so out they go.
I ask her for a pass & took them home. I looked them up in catalog-$25.00, 12 X $25.00 =$300.00

Coming from someone with no mechanical skills, all I can say is tool is a four letter word. You remember all of those jokes about the shortest books ever written? My contribution would be "Things I Have Fixed".

I learned very early on the only two things a home workshop needs is a telephone, and the Yellow Pages. You can tell how old that saying is. I also learned a long time ago to do the things I can, so I can afford to pay someone to do the things I can't.

Believe me, you are all very blessed to have those mechanical skills. I wish I had some.

here a few photos

cant hooks
c1ZLgzal.jpg

rehandled using a broken handle from a longer shovel

2RG88CPl.jpg

couple axes, one birch and one ash
Pe5qdz1l.jpg

new handle on a little paring knife
Rlttrhel.jpg

I have gone so far as to make a handle from a tree branch for hatchets and hammers. I regrind screwdriver tips and then heat treat them. (even Phillips head screwdrivers)
I can repair most things or make new ones that are better.

I’m a tool junkie, with a particular love for anything old and odd. You can never have too many tools!

I’m a tool junkie, with a particular love for anything old and odd. You can never have too many tools!
So am I, anything that does not use batteries, electricity, hydraulics, pneumatics or digital controls. Basically 18 & 19 CENTURY Hand Tools. Anvils,vises,hammers,saws,planes,squares & levels,drills,levers & ramps, Block & tackle, Screws & wedges.
I am looking for a Chanese wheelbarrow, have not found one, yet.

2760 Osage Orange (USA)

1820Hickory

1548Honey Locust

1450Hard Maple

1335White Oak

1320White Ash

1220Red Oak

4380Lignum Vitae (Genuine
https://www.bellforestproducts.com/info/janka-hardness/Maybe these will do.
Careful using red oak for anything that will get much sweat on it in porcupine country. Red Oak has a tubular cellular (permeable), structure that allows liquids to pass through or soak in (can't be used for barrels). You can actually blow air through it. White oak is solid and makes great barrels.

Mesquite makes tough handles for tools that don't get impacts like axes and makes some beautiful gun stocks.

rockytippy39_orig.jpg

Dale

Mesquite was not on my chart, but it is harder than the others, but not as hard as 2760 Osage Orange. It is also beautiful grain pattern, like flames.
It is one of many woods I wished grew here in South Carolina. It is one of the many good things in the South West.

In my job I worked with metal,wood, plastic, rubber & cement.
They all have their place, but wood is the hardest to master.
I do not know this as a master, but because I worked with one.
I learned a lot, but will never be at his level, mostly because I started about 30 years to late.

Last edited:
I am far from good working with wood. But I do enjoy it. Working to expouse a grain or color can be so cool. I do wish I had started as a young man though. Not nearly enough life left to get good at it.

You never know BacP, even if not perfected you can still enjoy it, if you get enough time from work and gardening.

Darnit. You mean I'm not going to have time to perfect let alone start my woodworking skills?

Since each wood is so different, does this mean that practicing on a cheaper wood like pine would be okay, but nothing like working with the real thing...black walnut, cherry, alder, oak, mesquite, or whatever...?
Not that I like importing wood not common to an area, but someone posted about living in the Carolinas and not having mesquite there. I would think it would grow there well enough. I love the smell of it in a hot forest. Smells AWESOME. Cooking in a barbecue -- heavenly! Didn't know it was popular to use with weapons.

Working with pine is much different than most hardwoods. But could useful to practice joinery with. One I would recommend if you have access to it is popular. It is a hardwood but much softer than cherry or maple. It has a nice color and grain to it as well. My dad built the wife a pie safe from it. Its a really nice piece.

Finished up a couple. When I was in kaintuck cleaning my brother's house out, I found a old floor scraper. It sorta like a straight hoe. Anyhoo typical for my brother it had a broken handle. I picked up a handle at home depot for 6 bucks and filled it up. Also a few years back I went to a trappers convention and was camping out on public land. Mainly to save money and all the local hotels were filled up. Someone had dumped a bunch of trash out there. It looked like a old outbuilding. I found a splitting maul head laying there. I brought it home. The other day I picked up a fiberglass handle from the hardware, maybe 16 bucks. I put it together and epoxied it. These fiberglass handles are made to be epoxied in with a handle epoxy. Not a big fan of fiberglass handles but they do take the weather well.

Back