OPSEC with your preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is one part of prepping that is probably the most difficult for me. I want to shout at the top of my lungs to everyone I know to prepare for the unknown future. However, I know if I do, that anyone I tell will assume that I prep. So I don't talk about it. I don't show it out in the open. I just shake my head when someone doesn't prep for things and then wonders what to do when the power goes out.....even if it's only for a single day! For example, every time MIL has a power outage she says she's going to look into buying a generator and when the power comes back on she never does.:mad: DH always takes a generator over to her.....so I guess, why would she bother to get her own?

I wish I had a bunker and a ton of canned foods and on and on, but I don't.:( I just do what I can for the issues I think would be the most likely to happen such as unemployment, illness/sickness, storms, power outages, etc. I've tried to put back some canned foods and other items that could get us through a short/medium term crisis. DH and kids know what I do and they know to keep their pie holes shut with their friends. I have one good friend who I exchange some information with, but even she doesn't know the extent of what I do. I have gotten the whole...."if something happens, I'm coming to your house" comment, to which I responded we won't have enough room....at least not initially. That was an awkward conversation. She said she doesn't know anyone else who even thinks bad things will happen so she felt that I was probably better prepared than anyone she knows because I garden and buy in bulk when things go on sale. This was when the whole NK nuke thing was a big concern to both of us. I would join forces with them later as they do bring some essential skills to the table and I also think they are prepping to some extent as well.

Now I'm thinking I feel like I should put some things back for others as well but I start feeling overwhelmed when I feel like I have more people to prep for. I feel like I'm way behind as it is with just our immediate family. This is why I'd love to tell those (who I think would look to us) to "get your own!" Gosh, I know that sounds stingy, but they have had the same opportunities and time to prep as I have. Should I feel guilty b/c they couldn't see the need and I could?

This is one part of prepping that is probably the most difficult for me. I want to shout at the top of my lungs to everyone I know to prepare for the unknown future. However, I know if I do, that anyone I tell will assume that I prep. So I don't talk about it. I don't show it out in the open. I just shake my head when someone doesn't prep for things and then wonders what to do when the power goes out.....even if it's only for a single day! For example, every time MIL has a power outage she says she's going to look into buying a generator and when the power comes back on she never does.:mad: DH always takes a generator over to her.....so I guess, why would she bother to get her own?

I wish I had a bunker and a ton of canned foods and on and on, but I don't.:( I just do what I can for the issues I think would be the most likely to happen such as unemployment, illness/sickness, storms, power outages, etc. I've tried to put back some canned foods and other items that could get us through a short/medium term crisis. DH and kids know what I do and they know to keep their pie holes shut with their friends. I have one good friend who I exchange some information with, but even she doesn't know the extent of what I do. I have gotten the whole...."if something happens, I'm coming to your house" comment, to which I responded we won't have enough room....at least not initially. That was an awkward conversation. She said she doesn't know anyone else who even thinks bad things will happen so she felt that I was probably better prepared than anyone she knows because I garden and buy in bulk when things go on sale. This was when the whole NK nuke thing was a big concern to both of us. I would join forces with them later as they do bring some essential skills to the table and I also think they are prepping to some extent as well.

Now I'm thinking I feel like I should put some things back for others as well but I start feeling overwhelmed when I feel like I have more people to prep for. I feel like I'm way behind as it is with just our immediate family. This is why I'd love to tell those (who I think would look to us) to "get your own!" Gosh, I know that sounds stingy, but they have had the same opportunities and time to prep as I have. Should I feel guilty b/c they couldn't see the need and I could?

I often wonder about how much is enough, or when do any of us have enough food stored? I have read many people say that it is only them that they are preparing for. Any one else will be run off or shot or something.

If it is a SHTF time, people will be desperate and crazier than any of us can even imagine. The dilemma is: if we don't give handouts, what will people do? If we do give handouts, will we be hounded until we have nothing, or killed for what we do have?

@angie_nrs yes it amazes me that so many people walk around in what I call the "denial bubble" that everything will always be peachy and the world is a "nice place" and nothing bad will ever happen :rolleyes: . It is overwhelming at times and you think it would be nice to stock for others but your main concern is to stock for your family first and worry about others later.

Our preps are only known by a select few who also stock (we are LDS or Mormons) to explain and have set up a good trading system together with some which will also be helpful if something does happen. We also have a good set of skills, preps and equipment amongst us all so can help each other most of the time.

You can only do your best according to space you have in your home and your income to prep to the best of your ability. We live in the country in a small town so if people see you buy like recently with us, 3 cartons of lychees on special, they say oh you must live out of town :) and we say we hate shopping so rarely do it too . It is normal here for people to go into town from the outlying little country towns to shop and stock for 3 months or more.

We do stock for ourselves and for 1 or 2 extra people in some areas which has come in handy for our close friend trading system in times of low income and or emergencies of others.

Definitely advisable to not let the average person know you stock anything though. Those who are acquaintances never get past our living room to see the rest of the house and then most things are strategically hidden and stocked away in cupboards and in shelving behind doors so are not visible from any open door to a room.

I have plenty of these preps to share with others who did not prepare.

Dehydrated-Gun.jpg

@Weedygarden in those situations you would trade away from your home if you needed something as people did during civil uprisings. It is always good to stock small tradeable items for those situations too.
I totally agree. I am sure that food will be essential, as well as water. Other things I have considered are socks, lighters, gum, granola type bars, beverages--alcoholic and non, warm hats, soap, tooth brushes, instant coffee packets, tea bags, tissue (toilet and other)...

I totally agree. I am sure that food will be essential, as well as water. Other things I have considered are socks, lighters, gum, granola type bars, beverages--alcoholic and non, warm hats, soap, tooth brushes, instant coffee packets, tea bags, tissue (toilet and other)...

I was thinking of the survivors who did prepare but would trade or barter . :)

This was discussed on another forum I belonged to and it is never a bad idea to revisit the subject. There is no one in this prepping world that can be totally hidden in their efforts. Even one relative that knows what your are doing can and will "spill the beans"! Why, just this morning a relative felt the need to blurt out in a restaurant "hey, since you are one of those prepping people, let me ask you this".... Oh boy..... The only advantage accomplished by being totally secretive (which is actually humanly impossible), will be not telling the relatives sooner than later that you are not going to help with "handouts" to them. Now then, since almost all of us already know we have been "outed by our relatives", lets get on with the problem of who and how many to donate to, and what we can realistically donate. We all know that the first problem in the prepping supplies game is numbers. Even if you have a four person-four year supply for your four member family (was that enuf 'fours for you), just adding four more will double your number so now you have halved the time. You can continue with this numbers game until you have 16 for six months. You and yours will not make it past the winter and into the spring after hunkerin down to get past the die off time. Next is the giving, how do you draw the line on how far once you have started? It will be like the people you see today with a house and yard full of dogs and cats. They just cannot turn away one and once the critters have just one free meal, they will tend to return for another and another..... Believe me, it can and will be even worse with the human animal, especially the ones with the entitlement mindset. The first time you refuse to donate they will kill you just to get to the remainder of your supplies and even eat the seed corn as one meal. This is not an outlandish or unseen scenario. The US has faced this scenario many times in relief efforts in famine ravaged countries where no matter how much aid was given, the numbers grew and the aid workers were attacked. Even the supplies of seeds that was to help sustain the population were eaten and destroyed.

I asked the wife who she would open the door for no matter what. She named two of her friends. I said, fine but if things go bad we don't let anyone else in including the kids of the one. She agreed.

If I get any strangers asking for a handout I will direct them to a local church or soup kitchen, the first time. I will tell them that is where I get my food. If I have anything to donate it will go to the soup kitchen. If they come back, there will not be a third visit. If they scare me the first time there may not be a second visit.

I was talking to a friend of mine about prepping. He had been a Mormon for several years so I felt comfortable with the subject. He said that he would just come to my house. He said that when he said that to others that they didn't think it was funny and he couldn't figure out why. He was laughing at the time and when he said it he glanced at me and found a very cold look on my face. That would make it a 100% identical reception from his friends. If he ever figured it out I never heard about it.

Bargeahead, an excellent article, well worth the reading and every Prepper should read it.

SSonb: Your points are well made. In a SHTF scenario the numbers will dictate the out come. Unfortunately, nobody can see the future so nobody will know how long their supplies will have to last. 4 people for four years OR 4 people for 16 years. Who knows for a certain? Save the resources for when the rebuilding phase begins, then it will provide the best benefits to the most people. Seed to grow crops. Skills and knowledge, to help others rebuild. During the crisis, hand outs will simple be painting a bullseye on you and your family. Only those planned for can be allowed into your compound / property. Limited supplies for an undetermined amount of time, simple as that. I finished watching a post Apocalypse video on NetFlix "The Worthy". The main premise of the film was a group of survivors have to make the choice of allowing unknown strangers into their compound. The results of their decision was very interesting. I would recommend it, not for the acting quality but for the opportunity to decide if you would have made the same decisions. Are You Worthy?

TMT, There is a saying around these parts "What can you bring to the table?" That concept was first introduced in the book "Lucifer's Hammer" and It all will go back to the premise "If you do not work, you do not eat." Sooner or later anyone surviving inside the urban or suburban world will most likely have to migrate out to the frontier and if they have survived that challenge there is a chance that those people will have promise for the future knowing that they will have to become producers and not just consumers. So we all have to ask ourselves , Are you the Butcher, Baker or the Candlestick maker? Me.......I'm gonna be da wizard.

I am a firm believer that at some point you will need the combined efforts of a community to survive and thrive post a life changing catastrophic event. You will need teachers, doctors, farmers, ranchers, good respected leaders, engineers, plumbers, etc., etc. But I also believe that there will be a period of a year, or two, or three... where it will be about protecting you and yours first and foremost as the weak and unprepared die off. More than anything that is what I prepare for. To be prepared and sell sufficient to take care of and protect my own people until the world begins to reestablish itself and it's time to be united as a community of survivors. During the time between current life and post SHTF life, I will be heavily focused on protecting my own and all threats or potential threats will be met with strong opposition.

TMT, There is a saying around these parts "What can you bring to the table?" That concept was first introduced in the book "Lucifer's Hammer" and It all will go back to the premise "If you do not work, you do not eat."

When I read this, at least one person comes to mind, who, for as long as I have known her, has excuses about why she can't do this and can't do that. It is someone I worked with about 20 years ago, and now participates in the crafting group I am involved with.

One night after a series of, "No, I don't have computer skills, so I can't do that," and "No, I can't do that," over and over again, I stopped trying to help her with what she asked for help with. After she left, I spoke to other very capable members about how, "I think I can," but I am not going to do it for someone who "can't" to everything. It is a welfare mentality and she is someone who spends her days and life working the system. This is the kind of thinking that has been developed in many families over generations. Welfare has disabled so many, mentally. There is so much more to this story, but I will not bore you with the details.

I have known too many people who always have an excuse about why they can't, while I always try to find the way to do it, for myself and for my daughter, another very independent person who thinks she can do whatever she sets her mind to do.

What can I bring to the table? Like AmishHeart, I can cook and teach. I can sew, mend, clean, garden, and much more.

Everyone can do something.

Bargeahead, an excellent article, well worth the reading and every Prepper should read it.

SSonb: Your points are well made. In a SHTF scenario the numbers will dictate the out come. Unfortunately, nobody can see the future so nobody will know how long their supplies will have to last. 4 people for four years OR 4 people for 16 years. Who knows for a certain? Save the resources for when the rebuilding phase begins, then it will provide the best benefits to the most people. Seed to grow crops. Skills and knowledge, to help others rebuild. During the crisis, hand outs will simple be painting a bullseye on you and your family. Only those planned for can be allowed into your compound / property. Limited supplies for an undetermined amount of time, simple as that. I finished watching a post Apocalypse video on NetFlix "The Worthy". The main premise of the film was a group of survivors have to make the choice of allowing unknown strangers into their compound. The results of their decision was very interesting. I would recommend it, not for the acting quality but for the opportunity to decide if you would have made the same decisions. Are You Worthy?

TMT, The series or movie Jericho was a rally good one too .

Living where we live now is very different than when we were in California. Over on the left coast OPSEC was simple even mentioning prepping made you a nut case. I never felt the need to discuss being prepared outside of the family setting. Here in Arkansas living in a very rural area folks just seem to do for themselves. It seems that everyone even the elderly have gardens most have chickens and there are plenty of beef, goats and sheep. Out here being prepared is normal. That being said I would be hard pressed to give a hand out to strangers. Not because I'm mean or stingy but because by doing so would encourage them to return and the word would get out to others in need. If TSHTF and my children made here with their children and spouses my preps would have to feed 25 people. That being said I would gladly help my neighbors because they are also prepared all others would not be allowed past the front gate. While I intend to shelter in place my BOL would still be an option. Even though it would be cramped living conditions if everyone came. If anyone is wondering how I planned to feed so many. Two words "beans and rice" it's very cost effective when you buy and store in bulk. I have plenty of other stores for variety but that is the foundation of my food preps.

Thanks for sharing that! Great article and hits very close to home for me and also points out my concerns. DH is a big ole softy and I'm the disciplinarian. I certainly give more thought to these types of scenarios than he does. I'm thinking along the same lines as the article, in which they went 2 weeks without power. We went 1 week without power a couple of years ago in December. We were prepared for it and got through it just fine but there was nobody else on our road that stayed home during the entire outage period. I'm assuming they left to go to family's homes that had power or went to a nearby town to a hotel. It was kinda spooky as it was really eerily quiet.

I keep thinking what if MIL shows up with a friend and BIL and their whole clan of kids? How and who of that group do you turn away? Especially when you may not even know how long the crisis (whatever it is) will last? Then what if FIL shows up with his wife? It might seem like an easy choice.....but in reality it wouldn't be. I'm planning on our kids showing up possibly with their significant others.....but then the SO's would have to accept being without their family's. How many would be willing to give up their family just b/c you have someplace to go? I would rather die with my family than be the only one in my family accepted into a relatively unknown prepped group. It really is a nasty rabbit hole to try and wrap the mind around, especially considering how it would rip family's apart.

These decisions would be difficult enough without even considering how crazy these people might make you in a SHTF situation. Some of the family members could bring some skills and talent to the table, but they would drive me crazy! They are difficult to deal with during good times like a Christmas party.......how the heck would it be like during a crisis?? And to trust my life the them?:eek: That would be difficult, if not impossible. Without a doubt there would be personality clashes.

I am hopeful that distant family members don't consider us an option to go to. Since I haven't told anyone what I do, I'm hoping they go elsewhere to weather the storm. I just hope they haven't been paying attention to us b/c anyone who is paying attention would have seen clues that we are trying to be self sufficient. It doesn't take a whole lot to connect the dots.

Very good points I have already informed my kids about who is welcome and who isn't. First Son's may invite his FIL and BIL. His MIL and her husband are not welcome.
Second Son may not invite anyone although his wife would want to bring her entire extended family. It has been explained that is a complete no go.
Third Son is single with no children.
DD is also single with no children.

Granny has some gentlemen from church pestering her wanting to court her "which I think is amusing. But he can't come either.

Living where we live now is very different than when we were in California. Over on the left coast OPSEC was simple even mentioning prepping made you a nut case. I never felt the need to discuss being prepared outside of the family setting. Here in Arkansas living in a very rural area folks just seem to do for themselves. It seems that everyone even the elderly have gardens most have chickens and there are plenty of beef, goats and sheep. Out here being prepared is normal. That being said I would be hard pressed to give a hand out to strangers. Not because I'm mean or stingy but because by doing so would encourage them to return and the word would get out to others in need. If TSHTF and my children made here with their children and spouses my preps would have to feed 25 people. That being said I would gladly help my neighbors because they are also prepared all others would not be allowed past the front gate. While I intend to shelter in place my BOL would still be an option. Even though it would be cramped living conditions if everyone came. If anyone is wondering how I planned to feed so many. Two words "beans and rice" it's very cost effective when you buy and store in bulk. I have plenty of other stores for variety but that is the foundation of my food preps.

Loose lips sink ships. We don't tell either although one of our neighbors tells all she had stocked up big time. Others are not outspoken. But would be ready for zombies. All of them are always shooting around here for miles. One vet from V Nam said it use to bug the crap out of him because it brought back flash backs of the jungle. Bless his heart he moved away.

Latest posts

Back